CustomArt FIBAE Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #1,502 of 2,466
UPS might contact you in order to describe parcel's contents details (e.g. 1 pair of earphones) or send payment confirmation.
That doesn't sound so bad... I suppose I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Thanks to everyone for their help! Next task: get through to the end of the work day and book it to the post office before they close in a couple of hours...

Jan 8, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #1,504 of 2,466
I see you are in HA. I do not know if it is the same as the lower 48. I have sent and received a few packages from Custom Art. I put like $10 value on the packages I have sent. USPS is the way to go. It seems to take longer for the item to reach Custom Art than anything they ever ship to me. If memory serves it was close to a month before they received what I sent, and I will receive from them in just a couple of days. I have NEVER(I hope I don't jinx myself) been contacted by customs here in the USA. I have never had to pay any additional fees, I can't say you will have the same experience but each of my experiences from Poland have been the same.

Jan 8, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #1,505 of 2,466
Interesting...

Plastics1 (crosstalk levels)

Effect Audio Thor Copper (crosstalk levels)

Difference between Effect Thor and Plastics1 in volume. I didn't remove the IEM from coupler to make the switch so it should be as close to reality as possible

I realized that the above picture presents measurement when only single side is connected on the cable (Left) so it removed cross-talk from equation.

Below is the same measurement (although this time I had to remove the IEM from coupler, but tried to place is in the exact same position) When both left and right channels are connected on the cable, measured channel is still left.
I think the best cable which acually did something huge of a difference was only one

The Penon Draco

it is a 16braid which looks amazing in eyes and seems that a lot of silver compared to other brands

Jan 8, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #1,506 of 2,466
Thanks for the tips. I'll keep a weather eye out for what's going on.

it was close to a month before they received what I sent

Well, dang. I'll not be holding my breath, then. All's well: I'll just put "The Song That Never Ends" on repeat for the next couple of months while I wait. Hopefully many of the other orders will be processed by then. This has been an enlightening process so far. Thanks to everyone who is helping me walk through it.

Edit: whoops, accidentally deleted the extra bracket for the quote. My bad.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #1,507 of 2,466
Hahah! soon my friend.
Hope so, it's already the middle of January and I still haven't made myself my Xmas gift: my very first CIEM! FIBAE 4 could be one of the final contenders, if we could just know a little bit more about it (hint hint)...

Jan 14, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #1,508 of 2,466
Hope so, it's already the middle of January and I still haven't made myself my Xmas gift: my very first CIEM! FIBAE 4 could be one of the final contenders, if we could just know a little bit more about it (hint hint)...
Yes, I'm also super curious about the 4. :couple_with_heart:

Jan 16, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #1,509 of 2,466
Since FIBAE black wasn't available in silicone and FIBAE 4 won't be either, are you guys looking to move away from silicone? I'm still very tempted to try my first silicone CIEM

Jan 16, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #1,510 of 2,466
Since FIBAE black wasn't available in silicone and FIBAE 4 won't be either, are you guys looking to move away from silicone? I'm still very tempted to try my first silicone CIEM
Pros and cons to silicone as ever. I thought I would prefer silicone but much prefer the ease and durability of acrylic. If you want silicone then I believe fibae 2 is available in it.

Jan 17, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #1,514 of 2,466
If I remember correctly @Deezel177's FIBAE 2 were made in silicone and so he might be able to say more about how those are to use long term. I seem to vaguely remember him thinking about getting a re-shell in silicone on his H8.2, but I am not sure about that. In any case, a good excuse for me to ping him and pile on more work for him... :p

Jan 17, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #1,515 of 2,466
If I remember correctly @Deezel177's FIBAE 2 were made in silicone and so he might be able to say more about how those are to use long term. I seem to vaguely remember him thinking about getting a re-shell in silicone on his H8.2, but I am not sure about that. In any case, a good excuse for me to ping him and pile on more work for him... :p

No problem whatsoever, my friends - currently typing this whilst dining in my third-favourite (and fifth-most-affordable) sushi place after a piano lesson with an unfinished [REDACTED] review draft on one tab, faceplate artwork ideas on another, and a pair of [REDACTED TOO] review units in my ears... but I also have time to answer a question or two. :wink:

I covered the ergonomic differences between acrylic and silicone here:

"The FIBAE 2 is my very first silicone IEM. Having owned six acrylic monitors with varying builds, fits and finishes, the FIBAE 2 is certainly a unique wearing experience. Overall, it fits slightly tighter than my acrylic Custom Art Harmony 8.2, but it forms far less breakable seals and adheres to the skin more effectively too. As a result, you get superior isolation and comfort, and a stronger feeling of seamlessness between your inner ear and the bodies of the IEM. It does take a few days to break in the silicone’s initial density and rigidity – and to learn how to properly push them in and pull them out – but they’re an absolute joy to wear and use afterwards."

In terms of long-term maintenance, I typically keep them in a Pelican case with desiccant inside. After every use, I'd spray on some isopropyl alcohol and wipe with a microfibre cloth. Piotr suggested paper towels once, but I know how abrasive they can be. I don't know whether or not they'd introduce scratches onto the shells. Hope this answers your questions! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back