Curious. What sounds better than a K550 for sealed headphones
Mar 24, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #31 of 44
I'm just going to throw this out there, not because I know, but, I have read many reviews and got the impression that Soundmagic's HP100 are very good sealed headphones. I believe I read someone state that its like the K550 but with bass. Again, I don't have the experience with them yet as they are on order but after reading competing sealed HP of this category these seemed to be very competetive. Ultimately of course it depends on the individual and as far as detail and soundstage, perhaps a more analytic sound the K550 are hard to beat but have read getting a proper seal is very important and sometimes difficult depending on the head. I guess I'm throwing the Soundmagic's out there because many don't seem aware of them and it is good to know about all the worthy competitors.

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #32 of 44
Mar 25, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #33 of 44
Quote:
I'm just going to throw this out there, not because I know, but, I have read many reviews and got the impression that Soundmagic's HP100 are very good sealed headphones. I believe I read someone state that its like the K550 but with bass. Again, I don't have the experience with them yet as they are on order but after reading competing sealed HP of this category these seemed to be very competetive. Ultimately of course it depends on the individual and as far as detail and soundstage, perhaps a more analytic sound the K550 are hard to beat but have read getting a proper seal is very important and sometimes difficult depending on the head. I guess I'm throwing the Soundmagic's out there because many don't seem aware of them and it is good to know about all the worthy competitors.

make sure you report back when you get them 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #38 of 44
Quote:
It's not true - K550 do vocals very good.

agreed, vocals sounded very clear on the k550 when i demoed them in best buy. i also tried the 1R in vegas sony store, not bad, didnt get to compare it with my z1000 though... the sony v6 sounded ok as well, for the price, may try to pick one up later when the price drops. 

Jan 31, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #39 of 44
I have a shiny new pair of 940s on my head right now - not at all happy with them - for my ears and money the 840s smash them in just about all areas. I'm listening through a pro-tools usb dongle - so nothing fancy - is this issue down to the 940s needing decent amplification ?

I'm going back to the shop tomorrow to see what I can swap them for, having now read all the build quality issues too I'm really not pleased with this purchase.

Any suggestions on what to audition? I like the AKG 550s but the Shure 840s sound better to me, but I hate the headband on them.

Thoughts please!

Feb 1, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #40 of 44
maybe your just more into warmer sound. thats why you like the 840s better. technically the 940s are way above them. but as i mentioned earlier:  personal preferences do count more than technical advantages.

Feb 1, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #41 of 44
I would not describe the 840s as warm myself - but I am no expert.

When you say 'way above them' what do you mean exactly - what data are you referring to?

They sound more closed. More tinny. Far more harsh (ear-piercing I would say), lighter bass, given all that what is technically better? Just the materials/components used or is there some diagnostic tests that prove a better audio quality or something? I really want to like them, but so far they just fall short of the 840s on every A/B I do, and on some tracks by a mile.

Can anyone suggest a way to maybe really hear their qualities?  I'm using no good equipment here which of course could be the issue, maybe they are just more exotic than my set-up and revealing all the nasties, but then they sound unpleasing in the same way on everything I have tried so far.

Sadly the store is closed on Saturdays (welcome to Norway) so I have not been able to compare anything else but I'll do so ASAP.

Feb 1, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #42 of 44
Also - seeing as you seem to be quite into your headphones 
L3000.gif
 can you suggest anything under or around $400 /£250 that I should listen to that I may like even more than the 840s? My reading has led me to think the Mad-Dogs may be for me (but not a hope of finding them in this country - but I visit UK often) the AKG 550s I think I have tried in a store (I tried a lot of AKGs that day but I recall liking some very much).

I would not want more bass than the 840 give me, that is just right for me (I don't want less), so really I would be looking to see if I could find something even more open sounding (I need closed headphones though) or somehow sweeter sound, and greater long-wear comfort as the 840s headband is not by best friend. I'm not a huge fan of the Momentum's, although I've owned several Sennheiseer models in the past and liked them a lot, but was thinking about Ultrasone maybe - never seen or heard them.

All advice very gratefully received. I wear headphones for about 5-8 hours every single day, which is why I'm so hung-up on this! My fallback is my Sennheiser HD280 Pros, but I want a pair that I LOVE rather than am just 'happy' with. The Sennheisers are 'fine' for me - but I want extraordinary
atsmile.gif

Feb 1, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #43 of 44
the 940s offer more detail, better instrument separation and imaging. within your budget, i do not know of any technical better headphone with similar sound signature (warm, but not to bassy and no disturbing highs) than the 840s. why not stick with them. you could try beyerdynamic custom one, soundmagic hp100 or even ath-es700 and ue6000 instead, but all of them might be more of a sidegrade or just slight upgrades at best.

Feb 1, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #44 of 44
I think  you are right. Sticking with the 840s is probably the best thing for me right now. Some readers are probably thinking 'if it ain't broke - don't fix it' but they are broken hence the 940s purchase. I was thinking £80 is quite steep to fix what was a clearly faulty item and that money could be well invested in something new and hopefully better, but I do agree - I think until I have some bigger bucks the fix is the thing to do.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back