Curious. What sounds better than a K550 for sealed headphones
Mar 20, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #17 of 44
I wouldn't use the word nasty to describe any part of the 550 sound signature - neither would any of the bloggers doing reviews on popular sites. These headphones are smooth, musical and fun to listen too for audiophiles and non-audiophiles. Everyone who has listened to my 550s has been astonished at how good they sound. The only minor quibble anyone has pointed out was Mr Mad Dog Speakers noticing a slight mid bass hump at last years LAX meetup.

No headphone is perfect for everyone or for all types of music but the K550 is a really good all around performer for singer songwriter, Tom Petty style rock, and complex music from bands like XTC. I also own the Sure 840s and they have a slightly warmer, less detailed signature that my wife and a close friend both preferred. I haven't spent enough time with the Sure 940s but my first impression was that they sounded a little hot but that doesn't mean I'd make ridiculous generalizations about them on head-fi. When you talk about headphones in this category it's like trying to decide which Victoria Secret model is your favorite. We all have preferences like blondes or brunette, skinny or curvaceous but none of the choices could be considered "nasty".

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #19 of 44
Quote:
SRH-940
SRH-840
D2000
Koss Pro DJ 100/TBSE
ATH-M50 (latest version)
DT-770 Pro 80
DT-770 600 ohm
KRK KNS-8400/6400

having owned the tbse1, i really have to disagree that the tbse1 is better than the akg k550. however, i do not own the k550, my tbse1 is now broken and given to my younger brother so havent listened to it in a while. 

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #20 of 44
Quote:

having owned the tbse1, i really have to disagree that the tbse1 is better than the akg k550. however, i do not own the k550, my tbse1 is now broken and given to my younger brother so havent listened to it in a while. 

Ok, so you haven't owned the K550 and you never compared the two at the same time?

People will say "Oh it's technically better" all the time about a headphone, but never explain why. I do this too. People always say a headphone has a specific signature they like and call it "better".

What is it about the K550 that makes it so much better than everything else?

Then there is this idea that open headphones are automatically better than closed headphones due to a better soundstage,  more detail etc..

Maybe the K550 is better because it has such a massive soundstage (for a closed headphone) and more treble
biggrin.gif

I'll admit, the TBSE/DJ100 might lose out against some of the easier to drive headphones without a good amp/dac. That's the biggest negative of the DJ100/TBSE.

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #21 of 44
Well I'll be getting my K550's delivered in a couple hours if the postman is on time, so I'll see how they stack up against the DJ100's. If they don't measure up, I guess I know where to look next!

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #22 of 44
Ok, so you haven't owned the K550 and you never compared the two at the same time?

People will say "Oh it's technically better" all the time about a headphone, but never explain why. I do this too. People always say a headphone has a specific signature they like and call it "better".

What is it about the K550 that makes it so much better than everything else?

Then there is this idea that open headphones are automatically better than closed headphones due to a better soundstage,  more detail etc..

Maybe the K550 is better because it has such a massive soundstage (for a closed headphone) and more treble :D

I'll admit, the TBSE/DJ100 might lose out against some of the easier to drive headphones without a good amp/dac. That's the biggest negative of the DJ100/TBSE.

I have only demoed the k550 for like 5 mins in best buy, the tbse1 I used to drive it with an iPod classic 7gen lineout to a fiio e17. I can't compare the 2 side by side because I never own the k550. I'm just basing it off of my memory. I said the k550 is better because based on my short impression that it sounds clearer, cleaner. It just appears more technically better to me though I admit I can very well be wrong because I don't even own the k550. Tsuijigiri, please compare the 2 because you actually can compare it side by side, my short impression probably wont be enough to say anything solid.

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #23 of 44
Ok, I got the K550's and have them with me right now along with the DJ100's. To me, there's no doubt that the K550's are a better headphone than the DJ100's. I can hear what a lot of people are saying about the upper mids being too shouty and it being a little bass-light, but I think that's a small price to pay compared to what the K550's have to offer over the DJ100's. The DJ100's, while being excellent for the price, sound closed off and unnatural compared to higher-end headphones like the K550. Sounds like drum beats are muffled and the soundstage is quite distorted. I'm not a soundstage nut, and I could accept a smaller soundstage, but that's not the whole story here. The K550's have both a larger and better represented soundstage, the DJ100's have some pretty wonky imaging. The K550's are also much more detailed and resolving, and have more overall energy and sparkle.

In addition to the sound, the K550's are a better-made headphone. They are much more comfortable and feel lighter, but still have some very sturdy construction. Better yet, they don't creak at all when they're on your head like the DJ100's do. And I think it goes without saying that they're better styled and give off the presence of a more premium product.

I still like the DJ100's, and think they're a great value for the price, but let's be realistic. They won't kill the K550's, and someone switching from the K550's to the DJ100's is bound to be disappointed. I have to thank tdockweiler for introducing me to the DJ100's, but I believe he's a little biased in favor of his new discovery, and tends to go too far when comparing them to other headphones.

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #26 of 44
Quote:

I still like the DJ100's, and think they're a great value for the price, but let's be realistic. They won't kill the K550's, and someone switching from the K550's to the DJ100's is bound to be disappointed. I have to thank tdockweiler for introducing me to the DJ100's, but I believe he's a little biased in favor of his new discovery, and tends to go too far when comparing them to other headphones.

No they won't kill the K550, but disappointed? No way. If you give them a nice transparent amp and DAC, then they're comparable in sound to my HD-650 and Q701. They actually have better bass and smoother treble than my Q701. Even better bass than the HD-650. As much as I love the HD-650 it sounds muffled compared to the TBSE on the Magni/Modi.

I don't understand what the K550 does that's possibly better. Maybe someone can review them both. I think the reason the K550 sounds clearer is due to it's treble. It didn't sound clear at all to me. It had thin mids and a little too much treble. I had a good seal too. I'd rather have a headphone that sounds much warmer and smoother.

I know that people are impressed by how nice the soundstage is on the K550.

Yeah the DJ100 without a good amp/dac isn't in any way comparable to an HD-650/q701, but give it an even playing field than it's not really any worse. My TBSE actually sounds clearer and more revealing than the Q701 and HD-650, but still retains warmth and has smooth treble.

Have you heard the TBSE with the Magni/Modi? It's pretty impressive. I should do a DJ100 vs HD-650 review just to annoy people. I actually don't like it more just due to sound signature preferences. It gets more things right than the HD-650/Q701. Q701 is near perfect though.

Also..those issues you've mentioned are classic symptoms of not having a desktop amp/dac with the TBSE/DJ100. Not sure what you're using, but for portable use the DJ100 is no giant killer. I'll admit that. I has benefited from every upgrade in my setup just like the Q701/HD-650 has. Weird right? With the Modi/Magni it sounds nearly like an open headphone. No joke. Pads improve it further. Of course I'd be called crazy to suggest a $200 setup for a $55 headphone. To me it sounds as good as the HD-650, so why not? My HD-650 is as close as i'll get to an open DJ100. Actually this Q701 with Anniversary pads is getting close!

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #27 of 44
Ok, I got the K550's and have them with me right now along with the DJ100's. To me, there's no doubt that the K550's are a better headphone than the DJ100's. I can hear what a lot of people are saying about the upper mids being too shouty and it being a little bass-light, but I think that's a small price to pay compared to what the K550's have to offer over the DJ100's. The DJ100's, while being excellent for the price, sound closed off and unnatural compared to higher-end headphones like the K550. Sounds like drum beats are muffled and the soundstage is quite distorted. I'm not a soundstage nut, and I could accept a smaller soundstage, but that's not the whole story here. The K550's have both a larger and better represented soundstage, the DJ100's have some pretty wonky imaging. The K550's are also much more detailed and resolving, and have more overall energy and sparkle.

In addition to the sound, the K550's are a better-made headphone. They are much more comfortable and feel lighter, but still have some very sturdy construction. Better yet, they don't creak at all when they're on your head like the DJ100's do. And I think it goes without saying that they're better styled and give off the presence of a more premium product.

Thank you, also nice to hear you and I reach consensus k550 is superior and prove that I didn't just pull that opinion out of my ***** from looking at price tags and raving reviews about k550. However what dac and amp were you driving the dj100 with? When I get my ibasso dx100 fixed, and my bros tbse1 fixed I will listen to the tbse1 again to see if it lives up to the hype tdockweiler puts out. I believe the dx100 should be enough right? :p or do I need to get a decware csp2+ to drive the tbse1? :xf_eek:

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #28 of 44
Quote:
When you talk about headphones in this category it's like trying to decide which Victoria Secret model is your favorite. We all have preferences like blondes or brunette, skinny or curvaceous but none of the choices could be considered "nasty".

I couldn't agree more!  I think now everybody understands!  
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #29 of 44
I'm using a Fiio E12 with my Zune HD to drive my headphones. I know that a dedicated desktop amp will drive headphones better, but I find it inconceivable that a budget amp and DAC like the Magni+Modi combo will make the DJ100's sound almost as good as headphones costing 6 times as much. I did read through your thread on the DJ100's and found a few inconsistencies in your impressions that seemed to directly contradict themselves, on a week by week basis. Also, there are quite a few people who own the DJ100's, but I don't see a lot of people posting similar impressions with them compared to headphones like the HD650's or K550's. You may very well hear them as being comparable, but I think you may be alone in that. I have to admit that I'm a little envious that you've found the perfect headphone for you at such a low price.
tongue.gif

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #30 of 44
Quote:
I'm using a Fiio E12 with my Zune HD to drive my headphones. I know that a dedicated desktop amp will drive headphones better, but I find it inconceivable that a budget amp and DAC like the Magni+Modi combo will make the DJ100's sound almost as good as headphones costing 6 times as much. I did read through your thread on the DJ100's and found a few inconsistencies in your impressions that seemed to directly contradict themselves, on a week by week basis. Also, there are quite a few people who own the DJ100's, but I don't see a lot of people posting similar impressions with them compared to headphones like the HD650's or K550's. You may very well hear them as being comparable, but I think you may be alone in that. I have to admit that I'm a little envious that you've found the perfect headphone for you at such a low price.
tongue.gif

im guessing zune hd+fiio e12 will be similar in performance with my bros setup, ipod classic+fiio e17, modi+magni may be superior though like you said, thats the first time i have seen people compare the tbse1 or dj100 to the hd650, q701, and k550 in similar terms. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back