crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Apr 15, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #2,851 of 3,338
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I still have no clue what I'm going to buy. All I do know is I don't want Shure SE 846's rolled off treble. Campfire, Moondrop,ThieAudio,Fearless,Noble.Hmmmmmmm .Concerned about crinacle's comment that the Noble K10 is boring. Moondrop S8 seems like a great price and how much better are the Campfire offerings than the Moondrop? ? I sure wish I could demo a bunch of these.
I had the luxery of demoing a bunch of stuff. Two years a go I was set to buy the se846, but in the store they recommended to listen to some other stuff in the same price range. I eventually went with the Andromeda’s. For my preference it blew the se846 out of the water. On all fronts. I highly recommend to take the time and listen yourself. Especially if your spending this amount.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #2,852 of 3,338
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I still have no clue what I'm going to buy. All I do know is I don't want Shure SE 846's rolled off treble. Campfire, Moondrop,ThieAudio,Fearless,Noble.Hmmmmmmm .Concerned about crinacle's comment that the Noble K10 is boring. Moondrop S8 seems like a great price and how much better are the Campfire offerings than the Moondrop? ? I sure wish I could demo a bunch of these.

You can consider UM Mest from Musicteck. If they are still having the 15% promo you can get it for around $1.1k+.

Apr 16, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #2,854 of 3,338
Apr 16, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #2,856 of 3,338
Is the Sony MDR-EX800ST/MDR7550 discontinued? I can't find it on an European store/webshop.
You can order from Amazon.jp, they offer total price incl. shipping and import costs.
Need to create a specific user on the JP Amazon site though.

Apr 16, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #2,857 of 3,338
Ebay Japan

Thnx!
You can order from Amazon.jp, they offer total price incl. shipping and import costs.
Need to create a specific user on the JP Amazon site though.

Cool! I'll take a look at Amazon Japan! I can't decide between the Sony MDR-EX800ST and the Etymotic ER4XR, they are both nicely high ranked in the tier list. I'm using a Oriveti New Primacy atm.

I mean, an A grade IEM for 145 euro's ( the Sony EX800ST ) lol.. that's quite much bang for the buck right?

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #2,858 of 3,338
I mean, an A grade IEM for 145 euro's ( the Sony EX800ST ) lol.. that's quite much bang for the buck right?
sure.... if you're looking for a neutral sounding monitor, with non-standard fit, and don't mind a peak in the low treble / sibilance region.

You have to realize that each IEM will excel at different things. Users who buy based completely off of the rating may find themselves with a sound profile they aren't really interested in, or a fit that doesn't work for them.

Apr 19, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #2,859 of 3,338
The ranking list system gets a new makeover. Who's ready for your favourite IEM to be downgraded?

https://crinacle.com/2020/04/19/the-big-breakdown-ranking-list-update/

TL;DR: Tonality and technical ability are now properly distinguished as judging criteria for overall ranks. Many things are shifted downwards in rank, making higher ranks (compromising on neither tone nor technicalities) much more valuable.

Some interesting stats:

subgraderankdist.png

wholegraderankdist.png

Usual disclaimers apply, this is the opinion of one person on the internet, YMMV, audio is subjective etc. etc. you know the rest. We're all adults here.

Apr 19, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #2,861 of 3,338
OMG! Corona already ruined the stock market and now crin does this to our investments.

I thought I'd finally made it to the S-tier, as M9 got upgraded, but then ex1000 was busted down yet another rank. Conclusion: Upward mobility is a myth.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #2,862 of 3,338
Hello everyone !

My Klipsch X20i's went bust so I need replacement. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed their performance and the fit was great in my ears (with the medium tips). However, I did feel that bass was lacking in certain tracks I was listening to. The X20i's have now been discontinued and I am looking for a replacement in the same price range ($500 USD). I went through crinacle's list and also did my own research- I am considering the Etymotic Research ER4SR/XR OR Fiio FH7. Can anyone compare these to the Klipsch X20i's? Are there any other options I should be considering in the 500 USD price range?

Apr 21, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #2,863 of 3,338
The ranking list system gets a new makeover. Who's ready for your favourite IEM to be downgraded?

https://crinacle.com/2020/04/19/the-big-breakdown-ranking-list-update/

TL;DR: Tonality and technical ability are now properly distinguished as judging criteria for overall ranks. Many things are shifted downwards in rank, making higher ranks (compromising on neither tone nor technicalities) much more valuable.

Usual disclaimers apply, this is the opinion of one person on the internet, YMMV, audio is subjective etc. etc. you know the rest. We're all adults here.

There are very few upwards movements in the total score/rank, with the Sony IER-M9 being the only one to be moved into the exclusive S category.
May I ask what changed your mind about it?

Makes me even more excited since I have a pair on the way to me :ksc75smile:

Apr 21, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #2,864 of 3,338
I've been a Sony XBA-A3 owner for the past 4 years... after studying Crinacle's list... I decided on the Fearless S8F's... and BOY, what a LIFE-CHANGING decision!

Days of listening to this, days of smiles... I try to listen to my XBA-A3's... and EVERYTHING seems dull in comparison.

THANK YOU, CRINACLE!

Apr 21, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #2,865 of 3,338
Hello everyone !

My Klipsch X20i's went bust so I need replacement. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed their performance and the fit was great in my ears (with the medium tips). However, I did feel that bass was lacking in certain tracks I was listening to. The X20i's have now been discontinued and I am looking for a replacement in the same price range ($500 USD). I went through crinacle's list and also did my own research- I am considering the Etymotic Research ER4SR/XR OR Fiio FH7. Can anyone compare these to the Klipsch X20i's? Are there any other options I should be considering in the 500 USD price range?

I have the Klipsch X10i, and am not exactly sure how the X20i sounds, but if they sound similar, with similar levels of bass, I think you would be disappointed in the Etymotic ER3/ER4, if you want more bass. If you really want an Etymotic, I’d opt for the ER2XR. You give up a little bit of resolution, but get the more natural sounding DD, with DD bass. It’s my favorite Etymotic. You may also want to look into the Moondrop Starfield and the Tanchjim Oxygen. Not yet on Crinacle’s list as they’ve just been released, but the ThieAudio Legacy 3 and Legacy 9 could also be considered. It seems like the L9 has a ton of bass, that/may or may not be too much for you.

My main recommendation is don’t get fixated on the $500 mark. You have a ton of great options up to that price, but price doesn’t necessarily equal quality, and nowadays you can get really good IEMs for well below that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back