crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Apr 21, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #2,866 of 3,338
sure.... if you're looking for a neutral sounding monitor, with non-standard fit, and don't mind a peak in the low treble / sibilance region.

You have to realize that each IEM will excel at different things. Users who buy based completely off of the rating may find themselves with a sound profile they aren't really interested in, or a fit that doesn't work for them.

Yeah this happened to me consistently when I first started buying

Apr 21, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #2,867 of 3,338
Hi crinnacle,

Im choosing between the rai penta, moondrop s8 and evr. So would just like your input. In terms of signature i like something that has bass slightly north of neutral (strongish slam but fast and doesnt affect clarity), airy and slightly forward/lush vocals, good soundstage, imaging, clarity and detail. Treble i prefer slightly brightish but not overly done with good extension. Or are there any other you think that fits this description that i should look at?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #2,868 of 3,338
Hi crinnacle,

Im choosing between the rai penta, moondrop s8 and evr. So would just like your input. In terms of signature i like something that has bass slightly north of neutral (strongish slam but fast and doesnt affect clarity), airy and slightly forward/lush vocals, good soundstage, imaging, clarity and detail. Treble i prefer slightly brightish but not overly done with good extension. Or are there any other you think that fits this description that i should look at?

Thanks.
The meze Penta has heavily mediocre treble extension with rather thin mids I’d stay away from it

Apr 21, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #2,869 of 3,338
Hi crinnacle,

Thanks.
I wonder if you should also consider the Sony IER M9 ($1000), or even the M7 ($500)?

Apr 21, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #2,870 of 3,338
The meze Penta has heavily mediocre treble extension with rather thin mids I’d stay away from it
Totally agree. When I had them, I found them claustrophobic and very dull.

Apr 21, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #2,871 of 3,338
I have the Klipsch X10i, and am not exactly sure how the X20i sounds, but if they sound similar, with similar levels of bass, I think you would be disappointed in the Etymotic ER3/ER4, if you want more bass. If you really want an Etymotic, I’d opt for the ER2XR. You give up a little bit of resolution, but get the more natural sounding DD, with DD bass. It’s my favorite Etymotic. You may also want to look into the Moondrop Starfield and the Tanchjim Oxygen. Not yet on Crinacle’s list as they’ve just been released, but the ThieAudio Legacy 3 and Legacy 9 could also be considered. It seems like the L9 has a ton of bass, that/may or may not be too much for you.

My main recommendation is don’t get fixated on the $500 mark. You have a ton of great options up to that price, but price doesn’t necessarily equal quality, and nowadays you can get really good IEMs for well below that price.

Thanks for your suggestions. I am hesitant to buy without first auditioning earphones and right now with the COVID situation everything is closed so I am going crazy without functioning earphones. I am in touch with a company called Vesper audio to see if they can create a replacement cable for my x20i's and ship them to me. I am hesitant to send out my earphones anywhere via mail for repair.

Apr 21, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #2,872 of 3,338
Hi crinnacle,

Thanks.
I get my Moondrop S8's on Friday. Ill let you know .

Apr 21, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #2,873 of 3,338
Thanks for your suggestions. I am hesitant to buy without first auditioning earphones and right now with the COVID situation everything is closed so I am going crazy without functioning earphones. I am in touch with a company called Vesper audio to see if they can create a replacement cable for my x20i's and ship them to me. I am hesitant to send out my earphones anywhere via mail for repair.

Hopefully you can get them fixed soon. I really think the Etymotic ER2XR is a pretty safe purchase, and is much less expensive, but you need to consider if you can tolerate the deep insertion/triple flange tips. If you’re completely without an IEM, why not get a budget unit, that can eventually serve as a backup. The BLON BL03 (well balanced, with lots of bass) or the Tin HiFi T2 (neutral, with little bass, but great mids and vocals) come to mind. Both are available in the $30 range.

Apr 21, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #2,874 of 3,338
Hopefully you can get them fixed soon. I really think the Etymotic ER2XR is a pretty safe purchase, and is much less expensive, but you need to consider if you can tolerate the deep insertion/triple flange tips. If you’re completely without an IEM, why not get a budget unit, that can eventually serve as a backup. The BLON BL03 (well balanced, with lots of bass) or the Tin HiFi T2 (neutral, with little bass, but great mids and vocals) come to mind. Both are available in the $30 range.

I am not a fan of the triple flange tips so I was hesitant to buy the Etymotics. The klipsch small/medium single tips are perfect for my ears. I might actually get one of the budget ones you mentioned. Thanks for all your help!

Apr 22, 2020 at 12:30 AM Post #2,875 of 3,338

Oh, i thought the mids was supposed to be the main strength.,...

I wonder if you should also consider the Sony IER M9 ($1000), or even the M7 ($500)?

I have the m7 already actually haha. I enjoyed the m9 but sometimes i found it kind of boring....

I get my Moondrop S8's on Friday. Ill let you know .

Looking forward to it 😊

Apr 22, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #2,877 of 3,338
But how is the 1670ss and m9 compared to the others mentioned? As these two always seem to have positive reviews.
I didn't like the 1670ss especially - it sounds rather harsh and a bit thin. The Acoustune 1695Ti on the other hand has really good mids, with nice body and texture - rather pleasant bass also, with well extended treble.

Apr 22, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #2,878 of 3,338

Users who are viewing this thread

Back