crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Mar 17, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #2,836 of 3,338
how do u find R6 Pro vs R5?

i too was impressed w R6 Pro Alu
The R6 pro has the slight edge on the R5 when it comes to the highs. In comparison, the R5 sounds a bit veiled. The screen on the R5 is a little small and it can be hard to type on it as well as get precise touch controls with crowded UIs. The R5 benefits from having a solid handle on RFI on both the 3.5mm and 4.4mm connections. This is something that the R6 pro doesn’t do.
The R6 pro can handle the first unfold on MQA files (88.2 KHz) where as the R5 does a full unfold out to 320 KHz.
hope that helps you make a decision.

Mar 18, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #2,837 of 3,338
The R6 pro has the slight edge on the R5 when it comes to the highs. In comparison, the R5 sounds a bit veiled. The screen on the R5 is a little small and it can be hard to type on it as well as get precise touch controls with crowded UIs. The R5 benefits from having a solid handle on RFI on both the 3.5mm and 4.4mm connections. This is something that the R6 pro doesn’t do.
The R6 pro can handle the first unfold on MQA files (88.2 KHz) where as the R5 does a full unfold out to 320 KHz.
hope that helps you make a decision.

Seeing that you have the HiBy line and the Mojo, how is the SQ of the R6 holding up against the Mojo?
I've paired the R3 with the Mojo and I can't listen to the R3 alone, quickly start to miss the Mojo :)

Mar 18, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #2,838 of 3,338
Would it be possible to use the standard 3.5 cable that comes with the anole vx with an adapter to use for the dx220 ibasso amp8 4.4 balanced, or would it be better to just get a seperate 4.4 balanced cable for the anole vx? I think I know the answer but I'm still learning and wanted to double check.

Thanks!

Mar 18, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #2,839 of 3,338
Would it be possible to use the standard 3.5 cable that comes with the anole vx with an adapter to use for the dx220 ibasso amp8 4.4 balanced, or would it be better to just get a seperate 4.4 balanced cable for the anole vx? I think I know the answer but I'm still learning and wanted to double check.

Thanks!

You cannot use an adaptor to connect a SE cable to a balanced amplifier output, may damage your amplifier.
Either you need to re-terminate or buy a balanced cable. But there must be no common ground between the IEMs.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #2,840 of 3,338
Still waiting on Crin’s take on the V14. Can someone just send him a pair? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 9, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #2,841 of 3,338
@alavenue : AMP7 is the single ended version of AMP 8. Or you could buy the AMP9 (someone is selling one on here somewhere). Did your DX220 not come with an AMP1mk2 ( which is the originally supplied AMP)?

Apr 11, 2020 at 1:00 AM Post #2,842 of 3,338
Would it be possible to use the standard 3.5 cable that comes with the anole vx with an adapter to use for the dx220 ibasso amp8 4.4 balanced, or would it be better to just get a seperate 4.4 balanced cable
nope, not a good idea to use an adapter in this case.

balanced output > balanced cable OK
single ended output > balanced cable OK
balanced output > single ended cable NOPE

Apr 13, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #2,843 of 3,338
Looking for a pair of iems ,about 1 k limit, 2k is too much, that would fit my needs. I currently have a pair of Focal Clears,Beyer DT1990 Pro and 1770 Pro along with some SE846's . I like the Beyerdynamic sound ,am using the sharp filter on the Shure's because of the rolled off treble. I never liked the Sennheiser HD650's as they seemed too dark for me. Really don't like planar magnetic headphones that much either . Hated the Oppo PM-3's.
As you can imagine I like treble and like balanced but not bloated bass. Grado's however the treble is too much.
Give me some suggestions. Thanks

Apr 13, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #2,846 of 3,338
Looking for a pair of iems ,about 1 k limit, 2k is too much, that would fit my needs. I currently have a pair of Focal Clears,Beyer DT1990 Pro and 1770 Pro along with some SE846's . I like the Beyerdynamic sound ,am using the sharp filter on the Shure's because of the rolled off treble. I never liked the Sennheiser HD650's as they seemed too dark for me. Really don't like planar magnetic headphones that much either . Hated the Oppo PM-3's.
As you can imagine I like treble and like balanced but not bloated bass. Grado's however the treble is too much.

Some other things to add to your list:
Noble K10 (Massdrop version) - 10BA
HYLA Sarda - 1 DD bass, 2BA mids, piezeolectric ceramic highs
Moondrop S8 - 8BA
Fearless S8 (Freedom or Z variants) - 8BA

Apr 14, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #2,847 of 3,338
Have you tried an andromeda yet? The Andromeda S and possibly the Solaris on the used market would fit. The Solaris being the more forward of the two, which I'd also apply to the Clear and Beyer clan.
Currently have both the Andro S and the Solaris and couldn’t be more happier. Initially bought the Solaris as upgrade to the Andro S, but decided to keep them both. You wont be disappointed with either,

Apr 14, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #2,848 of 3,338

You may want to look at the ThieAudio line-up. Within your budget and they pack a punch for the price. Bass and treble for days on both V14 and L9.

V14 is more technical, more mid than sub bass, very well controlled and satisfying bass slam. Mids are forward (too much for some), treble very well extended. Also has great analytical abilities. Stage is wide but not deep.

L9 is more fun, sub bass focused, still very good resolution but less than V14. Overall smoother, more forgiving and more "fun" signature. Treble extension also great and stage deeper than V14, with some "3d" effect.

Apr 15, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #2,849 of 3,338
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I still have no clue what I'm going to buy. All I do know is I don't want Shure SE 846's rolled off treble. Campfire, Moondrop,ThieAudio,Fearless,Noble.Hmmmmmmm .Concerned about crinacle's comment that the Noble K10 is boring. Moondrop S8 seems like a great price and how much better are the Campfire offerings than the Moondrop? ? I sure wish I could demo a bunch of these.

Apr 15, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #2,850 of 3,338
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I still have no clue what I'm going to buy. All I do know is I don't want Shure SE 846's rolled off treble. Campfire, Moondrop,ThieAudio,Fearless,Noble.Hmmmmmmm .Concerned about crinacle's comment that the Noble K10 is boring. Moondrop S8 seems like a great price and how much better are the Campfire offerings than the Moondrop? ? I sure wish I could demo a bunch of these.

I would not say that the K10 is boring, it just doesn't do anything wrong but also doesn't have any specific selling point that wows you and makes it stand out either. It does everything at a very competent level and is pretty good all-rounder that would be pleasing to listen to for most people. For the prices they go at now, I would say they are good value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back