crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Nov 24, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #2,506 of 3,338
Well - not anymore interested in this list. I know Bravo quite well - ie have one of them and know someone with Ra. The judgement is diametral opposite to my listening experience, hence four me credibility has decreased materially. Also as a side I do not think CA are that bad. On the bright side: everyone with ears can make up his own view.

Nov 24, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #2,507 of 3,338
Well - not anymore interested in this list. I know Bravo quite well - ie have one of them and know someone with Ra. The judgement is diametral opposite to my listening experience, hence four me credibility has decreased materially. Also as a side I do not think CA are that bad. On the bright side: everyone with ears can make up his own view.
But but, have you seen the graph?

No matter how you look at it that’s a plain mistake

Nov 24, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #2,508 of 3,338
Regardless of anything else, it’s presumptuous to price your product so much higher than so many others that are already established in the market...and before you yourself have virtually any market presence.

Nov 24, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #2,509 of 3,338
But but, have you seen the graph?

No matter how you look at it that’s a plain mistake

Yes - but what I learned is that the ultimate reference is usually your ear. Why? Technically: There can be a lot of errors in measuring, in particular if its is a two way system. There could also be an issue with the device itself. Finally a frequency response - does tell you average energy/spl per frequency and is agnostic re the time domain etc. This is btw a very interesting fact in looking at LS and rigidity of cabinet. Also from LS we know that there are material differences between closed and open systems (in LS land Wilson Audio vs Maggi's). So in summary if you could qualify a HP by its frequency response - just take a dsp and fix it. This is also what LCD4i has done. HOWEVER iLCD4 sounds also very nice (imho) w/o DSP - in terms of resolution et al.
Summary - listen, listen and listen again and you will find out.

Nov 24, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #2,510 of 3,338
Yes - but what I learned is that the ultimate reference is usually your ear. Why? Technically: There can be a lot of errors in measuring, in particular if its is a two way system. There could also be an issue with the device itself. Finally a frequency response - does tell you average energy/spl per frequency and is agnostic re the time domain etc. This is btw a very interesting fact in looking at LS and rigidity of cabinet. Also from LS we know that there are material differences between closed and open systems (in LS land Wilson Audio vs Maggi's). So in summary if you could qualify a HP by its frequency response - just take a dsp and fix it. This is also what LCD4i has done. HOWEVER iLCD4 sounds also very nice (imho) w/o DSP - in terms of resolution et al.
Summary - listen, listen and listen again and you will find out.

I did listen and it was garbage lul

Nov 24, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #2,511 of 3,338
Regardless of anything else, it’s presumptuous to price your product so much higher than so many others that are already established in the market...and before you yourself have virtually any market presence.
Agree - however: free market means if there are enough buyers this works. Why do people otherwise buy Porsche's, A&P watches etc? Personally I find the price very high, but that does not mean the thing does not sound nice. The only thing is that the return on investment is possibly lower.

Nov 24, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #2,513 of 3,338
Fair point if this is factual.
High End Munich this year, full story on previous page or one before that

Porsche have a pretty extensive history though where their products/cars have proved themselves time and time again, hardly a fair comparison

Most high end watch companies also have a certain history and legacy that makes them as much of an investment (or at least they don’t depreciate as much, some even gain value) as they are a luxury good

Audio Sanctuary in London had a clearance on oBravo products with a 40% discount and that still took over half an year to sell

Nov 24, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #2,514 of 3,338
High End Munich this year, full story on previous page or one before that

Porsche have a pretty extensive history though where their products/cars have proved themselves time and time again, hardly a fair comparison

Most high end watch companies also have a certain history and legacy that makes them as much of an investment (or at least they don’t depreciate as much, some even gain value) as they are a luxury good

Audio Sanctuary in London had a clearance on oBravo products with a 40% discount and that still took over half an year to sell

PS: I will now shut up: I have an EAMT1c and one of the two things above. The third one I find utterly useless - will mean "each to his own"

Nov 24, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #2,515 of 3,338
for me it's a bit a mistery how different people react to the air motion driver earphones of obravo. the funny thing for me about this list is that on one side i share the impressions as i sold my fourte quite fast because i didn't like them. at the same time i enjoy these days my obravo ra c as much as my ier-z1r .

i think the hole in the ceramic body was closed in one side of the earphone - closed the bass is boosted quite a bit. i don't say that fq charts are lying but our listening expierence is more complex than a microphone. thake a overdampted room, music in this room would be a horror, on the other side our brain can adjust to these settings and the listing experience can be good. a lot of the listening experience happens in our brains.

take the sennheiser hd820, this headphone should sound totaly wrong but when i owned it it was a quite nice sounding headphone. at the end the mids was to distant for me but the dive in the fq chart was not so bad as the chart shows. anyway i sold it quite fast.

so happy listening, doesn't matter the price if you like it. or do i something wrong listeing to my diana phi with the 9038s usb dac and like the sound?

i also think that first impressions can be right or wrong. i liked the forte the first hours. other gear i liked more and more with the hours i used them, much more then the first hour. my rule is that i only give impressions on gear that i could use for at least 4 weeks.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #2,519 of 3,338
These mental gymnastic of these people defending obravo and cupid is hilarious

Its so ****ing bad i dunno how people defend it

Dae i listen to my ears i dont need to see measurement

Dae credibility is ruined, like ur self has more credibility :thinking:

Nov 24, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #2,520 of 3,338
Agree - however: free market means if there are enough buyers this works. Why do people otherwise buy Porsche's, A&P watches etc? Personally I find the price very high, but that does not mean the thing does not sound nice. The only thing is that the return on investment is possibly lower.

preaching to the choir, man.

that’s why I didn’t say anything about sound...never heard anything from obravo. Ergonomically, they look problematic to me, plus really only like customs at this point, so I’d probably never buy them even if they sounded ok.

Agree with razz about the car stuff...I recently picked up a “nice” car with lots of history...it’s awesome. the legacy of the brand shaped my expectations, and the test drive sealed the deal.

Lesson: test drive stuff for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back