crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Nov 23, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #2,492 of 3,338
I trust Crin's impression, as well as those of other informal reviewers, who said that the Obravo Ra-C-Cu is dodgy. I trust them because my own listening preferences and evaluations align very closely to theirs, and my listening preferences also align to most guys in the local high-end audiophiles club, who have 20+ years of experience searching for and listening to accurate sound.. there is no way so many (commercial-free) people could be wrong, right?

Now my question is, what's the deal with a few (commercial-minded and free-sample-hunting) reviewers who call these obravos the best iems in the world? Yes, you guys know who you are.. my advise is simple: do the right thing, find a job, and purchase your iems..

Cheers!

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #2,493 of 3,338
Now my question is, what's the deal with a few (highly-commercial and free-sample-hunter) reviewers who call these obravos the best iems in the world? Yes, you guys know who you are.. my advise is simple: do the right thing, find a job, and purchase your iems..

Cheers!
Please list them so that we all are aware of them. In this hobby we need to deduce away un-reliable reviewers.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #2,496 of 3,338
Nov 24, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #2,497 of 3,338
Please list them so that we all are aware of them. In this hobby we need to deduce away un-reliable reviewers.
They're difficult to list and often spot imo

There's only a few websites that I know of that are blatantly positive about every item that they review, the others tend to not review or express opinions about items that they dislike.

In general, the opinion I trust most is that of the crowd when it comes to audio, along with a few specific members of the community.

Nov 24, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #2,499 of 3,338
Most reviewers , 90% , are pushers . Most are like that babe posing near a car , more about pushing than advising.

Nov 24, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #2,501 of 3,338
Most reviewers , 90% , are pushers . Most are like that babe posing near a car , more about pushing than advising.
The difference is I would look at the babe. Lol. As for the reviewer, not looking at advertisements. I can find copy and pasted specs easily, and no need for go through creative imaginative vocabs that don't tell me jack. There's plenty of novels out there I can read as well.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #2,502 of 3,338
I trust Crin's impression, as well as those of other informal reviewers, who said that the Obravo Ra-C-Cu is dodgy. I trust them because my own listening preferences and evaluations align very closely to theirs, and my listening preferences also align to most guys in the local high-end audiophiles club, who have 20+ years of experience searching for and listening to accurate sound.. there is no way so many (commercial-free) people could be wrong, right?

Now my question is, what's the deal with a few (commercial-minded and free-sample-hunting) reviewers who call these obravos the best iems in the world? Yes, you guys know who you are.. my advise is simple: do the right thing, find a job, and purchase your iems..

Cheers!
Agree with this for the most part. Unfortunately most of the big reviewers are not critical of any products. Not good for the business model if the free samples stop coming in, so gotta keep the manufacturers happy. Even when they’re comparing products against each other, you’re done reading you can’t tell which one they liked better because they are straddling the fence as to not offend either manufacturer. It’s glorified advertising.

Nov 24, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #2,503 of 3,338
Agree with this for the most part. Unfortunately most of the big reviewers are not critical of any products. Not good for the business model if the free samples stop coming in, so gotta keep the manufacturers happy. Even when they’re comparing products against each other, you’re done reading you can’t tell which one they liked better because they are straddling the fence as to not offend either manufacturer. It’s glorified advertising.
It’s a bit of a two way street though - the moment a reviewer expresses a negative opinion about a product the manufacturer usually stops sending them free, or any really, samples to review

That implies there’s a certain expectation that the price of a free sample is a good review

Honestly finding reliable information on these products is becoming increasingly difficult. You usually have to read 7-8 articles and do some PI work before finding out about the actual flaws of a product

Nov 24, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #2,504 of 3,338
It’s a bit of a two way street though - the moment a reviewer expresses a negative opinion about a product the manufacturer usually stops sending them free, or any really, samples to review

That implies there’s a certain expectation that the price of a free sample is a good review

Honestly finding reliable information on these products is becoming increasingly difficult. You usually have to read 7-8 articles and do some PI work before finding out about the actual flaws of a product
I dunno, maybe the benchmark is too high, but I think of Tyll Hertsens. He could be, and was at times, critical of products. Manufacturers would still come back though because they knew he was viewed as an authority and his opinion highly valued. Proof it’s possible, but maybe too high a bar in the current state of the hobby.

Agree on the last part though. Gonna try something new next year: Go out of my way to attend a CanJam and hear things myself rather than stay on the buy/sell merry go round. Prices are too high these days to justify the resale hit if you don’t like something.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #2,505 of 3,338
I dunno, maybe the benchmark is too high, but I think of Tyll Hertstens. He could be, and was at times, critical of products. Manufacturers would still come back though because they knew he was an viewed as authority and his opinion highly valued. Proof it’s possible, but maybe too high a bar.

Agree on the last part though. Gonna try something new next year: Go out if my way to attend a CanJam and hear things myself rather than stay on the buy/sell merry go round.
Canjams are the place to be definitely. Went to the one in London this year and found my soulmate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back