crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Mar 21, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #1,741 of 3,338
I would like to know how far does the Z1R exceed the IER-M9? Sadly, I could not afford the Z1R.

I am curious why the Z1R is defined as Mild V-shape but the M9 is defined as neutral. From what I read, the Z1R mids are a little bit more forward than the M9.

By the way, why the Solaris is listed in Tier A on your website? I thought at first it was in A+.

People have said that the z1r has really good sub bass and detailed and sparkly treble, making it a mild V or U shape. And it's also been said by many that the mids are not the star of the show so I doubt they are more forward than the M9. I haven't heard either but I'm looking at both and from all of the reviews, that seems to be the consensus. Hopefully someone who has heard both extensively can give you a definite answer.

Read the solaris thread. While there are a few that worship the ground that Ken Ball walks on, there are others that have heard AND TESTED the solaris and there could be a quality control issue with channel matching and the refusal of releasing an official graph just seems odd to me. I don't buy the why should he post a graph because other companies will steal it. Anyone can buy one and test it. And if there was a perfect graph, then everyone would be tuning for the same sound signature. KB just seems shady to me plus I have not enjoyed any of the 3 CFA IEMs that I've bought in the past. So before I buy another, I would definitely have to audition them and where I live, it's not easy.

Also, do you have amazon prime and the amazon credit card? You can do 12 month 0% financing on it according to the amazon page.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #1,744 of 3,338
Sorry for not responding to all your inquiries, I'm hardly on Head-Fi these days. Though, here's an article that I've been dying to rush out today:

On the Record: Cables

Image credit to Headfonia because I don't have any pics of cables on me at the moment...

Apr 1, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #1,748 of 3,338
Sorry for not responding to all your inquiries, I'm hardly on Head-Fi these days. Though, here's an article that I've been dying to rush out today:

Image credit to Headfonia because I don't have any pics of cables on me at the moment...
thanks for this article!
i've measured frequency response and distortion from a lot of cables, using same gear and iec711 (both coupler and precision mic) rig.
didn't find conclusive tonal nor distortion differences.
but after doing AB, the differences are obvious. changes have to be related to transients and definition, because i feel exactly the differences you have told.
i agree with almost every statement. the cable can be a bottleneck in the system

Apr 1, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #1,749 of 3,338

It take a great mind, with a twisted sense of humor, a lot of credibility, and way too much time on their hands to come up with something as delicious as this. Thank you for a great April 1st laugh!

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #1,750 of 3,338
Dammit. You should have instructed me to detach my $3000 iem prior to the accelerated cable burn in process...
IMG_0608.jpg
lets-make-decor-melted-plastic-bottles

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #1,751 of 3,338
thanks for this article!
i've measured frequency response and distortion from a lot of cables, using same gear and iec711 (both coupler and precision mic) rig.
didn't find conclusive tonal nor distortion differences.
but after doing AB, the differences are obvious. changes have to be related to transients and definition, because i feel exactly the differences you have told.
i agree with almost every statement. the cable can be a bottleneck in the system
upload_2019-4-2_8-20-43.png

Apr 2, 2019 at 1:50 AM Post #1,752 of 3,338
jokes apart, it's true. my formation is scientist, that's why i've taken time to measure fr and distortion with different cables. no tonal nor distortion difference.
but try doing AB with two cables using resolving iem. if both cables have decent quality, it's difficult to find sound differences. but if one of the cables is quite lower quality, sound differences are noticeable. not night and day, but clearly noticeable.
a cable doesn't improve anything. but can degrade some aspects of sound. a low resolving iem won't turn into a high resolving one by using a high quality cable. but sound from a high resolving iem can be degraded if using a low quality cable

Apr 2, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #1,753 of 3,338
jokes apart, it's true. my formation is scientist, that's why i've taken time to measure fr and distortion with different cables. no tonal nor distortion difference.
but try doing AB with two cables using resolving iem. if both cables have decent quality, it's difficult to find sound differences. but if one of the cables is quite lower quality, sound differences are noticeable. not night and day, but clearly noticeable.
a cable doesn't improve anything. but can degrade some aspects of sound. a low resolving iem won't turn into a high resolving one by using a high quality cable. but sound from a high resolving iem can be degraded if using a low quality cable
I don't believe you could tell apart two cables if both have equal impedance and are volume matched, but let's leave it at that. This thread isn't the correct forum for that debate.

Apr 2, 2019 at 3:45 AM Post #1,754 of 3,338
I don't believe you could tell apart two cables if both have equal impedance and are volume matched, but let's leave it at that. This thread isn't the correct forum for that debate.
Why this thread is not correct for that debate. Are you crinacle? Do you think that the ranking of IEM is totally apart from considerations on cables?

Apr 2, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #1,755 of 3,338

Users who are viewing this thread

Back