crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Oct 24, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #1,126 of 3,338
I was in the same situation as you, I was longing for custom as well as an SQ upgrade, the VE8 seems like the perfect option, and this was a few months ago.
However due to the pricing of VE8, I decided that it is not worth it as the SQ improvement will not be as stellar as the price hike.
You will be paying a lot more money just to get custom form factor, sure it will give you the best fit, but then when I learn that VE is not offering re-shell service other than the original buyer when you sell it to someone else, it becomes hard for me to actually commit myself to spend the money.
If I decide to do it, I will be bleeding money everywhere just for a slight upgrade here and there, so I decided not to do it.

if your main issue is just the fit, maybe you can look into custom tips, there are many types.
You should also watch a video from this guy.

If the VE8 was around 2k, I would have already ordered one. 2k is my current budget so I'm torn between the A12t and N8, but leaning to the A12t.

Oct 25, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #1,127 of 3,338
So I bought the Sony MDR-EX1000 from another user here based on @crinacle 's ratings (which I mostly agree with).

The imaging, staging, detail and soundstage of this IEM is ridiculously good. The only IEM I've listened to that has similar levels of detail and presentation are Zeus XIV and ER4SR but the ER4SR does not have the same level of imaging and extension, especially in the bass as the EX1000 and the Zeus XIV does not have the same bass texture and naturalness or realism in vocals. The EX1000 just sounds so vivid. It does a great job of presenting and portraying an image of where the singer(s) and instruments are spatially located and their boundaries and relative distance and also providing a very clear and detailed image. The music also has a nice natural and life-like texture to the sound and doesn't sound boring or clinical.

I'm currently using: TIDAL offline + Spiral Dots + EX1000 + 3.5mm stock cable + Cayin N5ii (medium gain). I find the earphone very unforgiving and very sensitive to the quality of the recording. The better the song is recorded, the better the song sounds and the opposite is also true in a very noticeable manner.

However, this is definitely not a warm or easy going IEM. It's a bit fatiguing because amount and depth of information being relayed. Comfort is surprisingly good considering how scary the cable + hooks look. I suspect it's because of the single dynamic driver and light weight of the shell. Isolation is very poor. It's definitely for home or office listening and it would be terrible on the subway.

This one is a keeper for me!
You should have heard ex1000 from 1z (3.0 firmware) forza hybrid "pyre" 4.4mm that's all you described + magic vokals simply unique ..

Oct 25, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #1,129 of 3,338
Any thoughts about the A/U12T compared with the IER-Z1R and possibly the N8T? Tossing up between the three at the moment - they're all within about $500 AUD of each other. I'd prefer a custom but the positive impressions of the Z1R make it tempting. I mostly listen to vocal-heavy music (folk etc) so my main concern is performance with those genres. I had an Andromeda and to be honest it didn't do a lot for me - maybe it was the fit or source.

Oct 26, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #1,130 of 3,338
Any thoughts about the A/U12T compared with the IER-Z1R and possibly the N8T? Tossing up between the three at the moment - they're all within about $500 AUD of each other. I'd prefer a custom but the positive impressions of the Z1R make it tempting. I mostly listen to vocal-heavy music (folk etc) so my main concern is performance with those genres. I had an Andromeda and to be honest it didn't do a lot for me - maybe it was the fit or source.

A12t: resolution, bass control
N8: bass decay, timbre
Z1R: treble speed...? Haven't heard the Z1R with my prefererd source and music.

Oct 26, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #1,131 of 3,338
Thanks crinacle. At the moment I'm leaning towards the A12T. The Z1R is a bit of an unknown, I much prefer the fit of customs and apparently the Z1R has been delayed here to Q1 2019. The N8 is intriguing but I think I'd probably prefer the higher resolution of the A12T. As far as other IEMs go I quite liked the UM Miracle and UERM customs I previously had, really didn't like the K10 custom and was a bit indifferent about the Andromeda but it didn't fit me well. My favourite full-size headphone is the W3000ANV.

Oct 26, 2018 at 5:18 AM Post #1,132 of 3,338
Thanks crinacle. At the moment I'm leaning towards the A12T. The Z1R is a bit of an unknown, I much prefer the fit of customs and apparently the Z1R has been delayed here to Q1 2019. The N8 is intriguing but I think I'd probably prefer the higher resolution of the A12T. As far as other IEMs go I quite liked the UM Miracle and UERM customs I previously had, really didn't like the K10 custom and was a bit indifferent about the Andromeda but it didn't fit me well. My favourite full-size headphone is the W3000ANV.

I have the same 3 finalists as you as a Christmas gift to myself and maybe the CA Solaris if positive reviews tempt me. The Sony is 3rd based only based on potential fit issues. I'll let everyone buy them and see how they like them after owning them for a few months before deciding to buy them for myself. All positive reviews so far have been short listening impressions and I want to know if I can listen to these for at least an hour without having to adjust them or take them out due to discomfort.

Oct 26, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #1,134 of 3,338
Also unconfirmed, but Solaris might be going my way for review.

3BA/1DD hybrid? Definitely interested in seeing how it holds up against the Tia Trio/Fourte, N8, CE-5, and Legend X at the top of the hybrid IEM standings.

Oct 26, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #1,135 of 3,338
I really like @crinacle s one-line reviews, very helpful. Of course I don't share every judgement, but that's not the point: it helps me to get a basic grasp and I think there's much value in trying to distill the character of an item into one line.

The hybrid comparison was an interesting read as well, especially with an N8 on the way. Now I have it in my hands for some days, and it's really perfect to me, adding more fun with it's deep reaching and clear bass, while offering an overall unoffensive signature, that still manages to not miss detail. It's not at KSE1500 level of course, but really well done in its overall tuning. I was actually thinking about the VE8 and redecided at the last moment... my personal love for hybrids won out. And the N8 is a very well done one of this kind.

Oct 26, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #1,136 of 3,338
Congratulations for this thread @crinacle! Began to read last week and finished right now. Fantastic job and the feeling is that this thread is one of the most independents here in HF. Your opinions are very congruent and transparent giving the sense of trust. Will continue to follow the thread anxious for further developments now that new contenders are arriving (CA Solaris, Sony IER-Z1R, etc.).
I have CA Andromeda since May 2017 and I’m really happy with them especially since I bought Chord Hugo 2. IMO is a fantastic pair, with great synergy. The OI of CH2 is very very low which is good for Andromeda’s show their real character. The first impression was maybe too much bass but since I get used to it, I don’t think so. The music it’s very real and colorful. Many times it’s really moving listening to music with this pair.
Now I’m thinking in getting another IEM but want something different but at same time as “correct” as Andromeda. I’m thinking in something like Inear PP8 or Inear SD5. In your opinion which of the two is better suited for my purposes (correct but different “flavour”)?
TIA and congratulations again.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #1,137 of 3,338
Congratulations for this thread @crinacle! Began to read last week and finished right now. Fantastic job and the feeling is that this thread is one of the most independents here in HF. Your opinions are very congruent and transparent giving the sense of trust. Will continue to follow the thread anxious for further developments now that new contenders are arriving (CA Solaris, Sony IER-Z1R, etc.).
I have CA Andromeda since May 2017 and I’m really happy with them especially since I bought Chord Hugo 2. IMO is a fantastic pair, with great synergy. The OI of CH2 is very very low which is good for Andromeda’s show their real character. The first impression was maybe too much bass but since I get used to it, I don’t think so. The music it’s very real and colorful. Many times it’s really moving listening to music with this pair.
Now I’m thinking in getting another IEM but want something different but at same time as “correct” as Andromeda. I’m thinking in something like Inear PP8 or Inear SD5. In your opinion which of the two is better suited for my purposes (correct but different “flavour”)?

As a previous owner of the Andromeda, I ended up getting the InEar PP8 as it sounded more correct. Some may say it's not exciting, but for the amount of clarity, detail and imaging you get, the stronger bass and mids, and non-fatiguing nature, I think it's worth trying out. The soundstage is only slightly smaller than the Andromeda.

Oct 27, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #1,138 of 3,338
The PP8 seems to be having a kind of renaissance at the moment. Very positive feedback in many different threads around this site.

I have thought about buying it several times within the last couple of years. But for some reason I have never pushed the button. It's expensive but reasonable compared to many other TOTL offerings.

I am beginning to think that i have made a mistake, but it's never too late :)

Oct 27, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #1,139 of 3,338

The Prophile-8 is neutral (of course), the tone very flat and the attack/decay very precise. However, it sounds more like listening to monitors in a studio as opposed to real life instruments. Timbre isn't really its strong suit.

The SD5 goes in pretty much the opposite direction, it's not really the most technical but there's a colouration to its tonality that makes it really pleasant to listen to. All in all, it depends on what your definition of "correct" is.

Oct 27, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #1,140 of 3,338
The Prophile-8 is neutral (of course), the tone very flat and the attack/decay very precise. However, it sounds more like listening to monitors in a studio as opposed to real life instruments. Timbre isn't really its strong suit.

The SD5 goes in pretty much the opposite direction, it's not really the most technical but there's a colouration to its tonality that makes it really pleasant to listen to. All in all, it depends on what your definition of "correct" is.

Could you give a small comparison between the IT04 and PP8. I have the IT04 and in many ways a very good iem. I have read your impressions of it and I don't think I disagree, there is something wrong with the mids.

The PP8 is more neutral with a more correct tonality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back