crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Oct 22, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #1,112 of 3,338
@crinacle Just a big thank you for all the measurements.

Oct 22, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #1,113 of 3,338
Just would like to say that placing Campfire Atlas in tier B is just total misjudgment in my opinion. It is technically at least as capable as Andromeda is and for me personally it's even like one tier above. Can understand the hype about Andromeda, but I don't understand why Atlas is underappreciated.

I don’t know, Atlas didn’t do it for me. I tried it with the Ak380 and QP1r, and iphone dongle, and it was outclassed by ie800 in technicality, outclassed in technicality and precision by andros.

And then S-EM9 was a tier above.

Finally used the money of atlas and got KSE1500 which just outdoes any iem I’ve heard to date with ease, especially with the AK380.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 23, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #1,114 of 3,338
I don’t know, Atlas didn’t do it for me. I tried it with the Ak380 and QP1r, and iphone dongle, and it was outclassed by ie800 in technicality, outclassed in technicality and precision by andros.

And then S-EM9 was a tier above.

Finally used the money of atlas and got KSE1500 which just outdoes any iem I’ve heard to date with ease, especially with the AK380.

I'm looking to upgrade from my Andromeda's.
I'm not sure on what to go with just yet.
Either VisionEars VE8 (Custom) or Shure KSE1500 or the new Sony's Z1R in ears.. Andromeda's fit wasn't too great so I'm debating..

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #1,116 of 3,338
Oct 23, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #1,117 of 3,338
Just would like to say that placing Campfire Atlas in tier B is just total misjudgment in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, it's your ranking and do whatever you do, but I would advise to look more carefully into what Atlas can do. It is technically at least as capable as Andromeda is and for me personally it's even like one tier above. Can understand the hype about Andromeda, but I don't understand why Atlas is underappreciated.

Eh, on an enjoyment level, I’d say the Atlas was a S- for me (it has such a nice weight to its sound) but on a technical level it’s like B+. Same with my Bravado. Very fun IEMs!

Oct 24, 2018 at 5:07 AM Post #1,119 of 3,338
I'm looking to upgrade from my Andromeda's.
I'm not sure on what to go with just yet.
Either VisionEars VE8 (Custom) or Shure KSE1500 or the new Sony's Z1R in ears.. Andromeda's fit wasn't too great so I'm debating..

I was in the same situation as you, I was longing for custom as well as an SQ upgrade, the VE8 seems like the perfect option, and this was a few months ago.
However due to the pricing of VE8, I decided that it is not worth it as the SQ improvement will not be as stellar as the price hike.
You will be paying a lot more money just to get custom form factor, sure it will give you the best fit, but then when I learn that VE is not offering re-shell service other than the original buyer when you sell it to someone else, it becomes hard for me to actually commit myself to spend the money.
If I decide to do it, I will be bleeding money everywhere just for a slight upgrade here and there, so I decided not to do it.

if your main issue is just the fit, maybe you can look into custom tips, there are many types.
You should also watch a video from this guy.

Oct 24, 2018 at 5:18 AM Post #1,120 of 3,338
Eh, on an enjoyment level, I’d say the Atlas was a S- for me (it has such a nice weight to its sound) but on a technical level it’s like B+. Same with my Bravado. Very fun IEMs!

It definitely has a wow factor to it, first time I listen to it, it was a very fun listen and I was convinced that I would chose it over the Andromeda, however I decided to comeback another day to have a second audition along with the Andromeda.
That day, I went home with The Andromeda, after a further listen the strong bass can sometimes takes your attention too much from the other frequencies, I feel like I'm not listening to the music as a whole.
Other than that I also felt that The Andro is just a litte bit more detailed, faster, wider soundstage and more coherent.
That's just me though.

Oct 24, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #1,121 of 3,338
You should also watch a video from this guy.

Thank you very much for this recommendation! Until today I knew only of Snugs and Sensaphonics who make this kind of shells. Now we also have https://ambient-acoustics.ua with circa $50 price which is 4-6x lower than the above companies. I will inquire if they would make me another full shell set for KSE1500.

Oct 24, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #1,122 of 3,338
It definitely has a wow factor to it, first time I listen to it, it was a very fun listen and I was convinced that I would chose it over the Andromeda, however I decided to comeback another day to have a second audition along with the Andromeda.
That day, I went home with The Andromeda, after a further listen the strong bass can sometimes takes your attention too much from the other frequencies, I feel like I'm not listening to the music as a whole.
Other than that I also felt that The Andro is just a litte bit more detailed, faster, wider soundstage and more coherent.
That's just me though.

I find it’s a nice complementary IEM for the collection. The basshead position. Not the main pick though.

Oct 24, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #1,123 of 3,338
Thank you very much for this recommendation! Until today I knew only of Snugs and Sensaphonics who make this kind of shells. Now we also have https://ambient-acoustics.ua with circa $50 price which is 4-6x lower than the above companies. I will inquire if they would make me another full shell set for KSE1500.

Hey, I actually contacted them recently for a quote, and the acrylic shells are $100 (not $50)! I’m considering getting a silicone set from them (for $70), since those are just tips and not permanent alterations.

Edit: their shipping prices are also kinda high, although it should still come out cheaper than getting tips from Snugs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back