crinacle's IEM Ranking List
May 9, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #421 of 3,338
May 10, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #422 of 3,338
@crinacle Which tier would you place a properly driven Havi B3 Pro 1 (just in terms of sound only)? I'm trying my darnedest to get a proper, convincingly same sounding replacement, without paying stratospheric price, but also without that "subwoofer clipping" when listening to Killadelphia. The Havi looks to be discontinued, to my saltiness.

Is this a fool's errand, or can that sound still be found? I'd like to know, even if it may end up bendoverly pricey. Cos you know, at least I know it does exist...out there, somewhere.

If it noises...we can hear it. If it exists...we can buy it. If it bleeds...

Never heard it. If I can't have a way to demo it without dropping my own money in, it'll probably never happen.

Does anyone have experience with the different Hidition Viento-R switches? (I’m looking to get one with a set configuration, and while I’m planning to try them first, it would be great to get some opinions.)

@crinacle Does the default on the IEM measurements database mean that the IEM was measured with all switches off? And if so, is that setting the basis by which the overall grade was given? Thanks!

The Viento-R is a weird one since I don't know which setting I heard/measured it on. The shop staff couldn't tell me either. So I just assumed that it's default.

Crinacle, I'd love to hear your take on the Legend X at some point and see where it sits in your chart.

@crinacle have you heard the new offerings from empire ears and 64 audio yet?

@crinacle ya, it would really help.

No Empire or 64 stuff where I am. I'll get a listen in next month.

May 10, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #423 of 3,338
Rank reshuffles. Mostly trying to clean up the S and A ranks in anticipation of upcoming new entries soon.

Again, my philosophy is for S rank to be a very special honour. Having too many IEMs in what is supposed to be "best of the best" just dilutes that, IMO.

64 Audio A12 (A+ to A): The A12, in hindsight, probably does not have the clarity or the detail required to break it into the higher A ranks.
64 Audio Tia Fourte (S to S-): The Fourte has a very huge "wow" factor, but deeper analysis does reveal certain oddities. A disjointed staging, for instance, does give the illusion of wideness and diffuse-ness, but ultimately sounds unnatural when the track does not call for such. The treble, too, can be a little hot and sibilant to many ears and thus the rank drop. Still a very capable monitor though, and a nice concept for the whole tubeless chamber shtick.
Jomo Samba (S to S-): Rank dropped due to the obvious weakness in staging and timbre (particularly in note thickness).
AAW W900 (S- to A+): To maintain neutrality in this ranking, I'd have to dock points for timbre and tonal issues. Particularly, the W900 is not as good as reproducing female vocals and plucked strings.
Rhines Stage 7 (A+ to A): Colouration isn't a desirable trait in a pseudo-objective ranking list as this. Thus, thinking based on the principle of fidelity, it shouldn't be so high.
Oriolus MK2 (A- to A): Still a very, very competent hybrid in its own right. Deserves middling A after some thinking.
Audeze LCD-i4 non-Cipher (A- to A): Hindsight says I'm probably being too harsh.
NocturnaL Atlantis (B+ to A-): Considering that I've placed the Plus and SK3 in A-, doesn't make sense to put the Atlantis lower than them.

Additions:

Soranik SK3 (A-): Jack of all trades kind of neutral sound. Excellent detail retrieval and does little wrong.
Rhapsodio Zombie (B): Not the cleanest bass and with coherency issues that shouldn't exist for an IEM of its asking price.
Custom Art FIBAE3 (B+): A clarity-focused IEM. Weak in staging, perhaps too thin on the note weight but ultimately does its kind of sound without hiccups.
NCM Bella (A): Powerful bass combined with clean sounding mids, though perhaps a tad aggressive at times.
Hyla CE-5 (A+): Definitely has the technical chops to play with the big boys in S. However, points docked for subpar timbre due to overly thin notes. Probably the best bass response I've ever heard, though.
iBasso IT01 (C): A bassy and V-shaped $100 IEM. Nothing really stands out as "excellent" to me, but it does a lot of things well and little wrong, if you like that kind of sound.
Rose Mini2 (D+): It's somewhat natural in timbre but lacks a lot of technical proficiency.
Rose BR5 Mk2 (B-): Not a bad IEM, though BA timbre comes in strong with this one. Not the most technical but it does the job when called for it.
TFZ King Pro (B-): Powerful yet controlled bass response, good snap in the treble, doesn't sacrifice too much in the midrange.
Ultimate Ears TF10 (B): Tonality and timbre is as spot-on as you can get for the price. Not as detailed as the new kids on the block but has the fundamentals down.
Alpha&Delta D6 (C+): Surprisingly good budget DD IEM. Not a giant killer by any means but nails a good balance of technical ability and fun.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #424 of 3,338
Rank reshuffles. Mostly trying to clean up the S and A ranks in anticipation of upcoming new entries soon.

Again, my philosophy is for S rank to be a very special honour. Having too many IEMs in what is supposed to be "best of the best" just dilutes that, IMO.

64 Audio A12 (A+ to A): The A12, in hindsight, probably does not have the clarity or the detail required to break it into the higher A ranks.
64 Audio Tia Fourte (S to S-): The Fourte has a very huge "wow" factor, but deeper analysis does reveal certain oddities. A disjointed staging, for instance, does give the illusion of wideness and diffuse-ness, but ultimately sounds unnatural when the track does not call for such. The treble, too, can be a little hot and sibilant to many ears and thus the rank drop. Still a very capable monitor though, and a nice concept for the whole tubeless chamber shtick.
Jomo Samba (S to S-): Rank dropped due to the obvious weakness in staging and timbre (particularly in note thickness).
AAW W900 (S- to A+): To maintain neutrality in this ranking, I'd have to dock points for timbre and tonal issues. Particularly, the W900 is not as good as reproducing female vocals and plucked strings.
Rhines Stage 7 (A+ to A): Colouration isn't a desirable trait in a pseudo-objective ranking list as this. Thus, thinking based on the principle of fidelity, it shouldn't be so high.
Oriolus MK2 (A- to A): Still a very, very competent hybrid in its own right. Deserves middling A after some thinking.
Audeze LCD-i4 non-Cipher (A- to A): Hindsight says I'm probably being too harsh.
NocturnaL Atlantis (B+ to A-): Considering that I've placed the Plus and SK3 in A-, doesn't make sense to put the Atlantis lower than them.

Additions:

Soranik SK3 (A-): Jack of all trades kind of neutral sound. Excellent detail retrieval and does little wrong.
Rhapsodio Zombie (B): Not the cleanest bass and with coherency issues that shouldn't exist for an IEM of its asking price.
Custom Art FIBAE3 (B+): A clarity-focused IEM. Weak in staging, perhaps too thin on the note weight but ultimately does its kind of sound without hiccups.
NCM Bella (A): Powerful bass combined with clean sounding mids, though perhaps a tad aggressive at times.
Hyla CE-5 (A+): Definitely has the technical chops to play with the big boys in S. However, points docked for subpar timbre due to overly thin notes. Probably the best bass response I've ever heard, though.
iBasso IT01 (C): A bassy and V-shaped $100 IEM. Nothing really stands out as "excellent" to me, but it does a lot of things well and little wrong, if you like that kind of sound.
Rose Mini2 (D+): It's somewhat natural in timbre but lacks a lot of technical proficiency.
Rose BR5 Mk2 (B-): Not a bad IEM, though BA timbre comes in strong with this one. Not the most technical but it does the job when called for it.
TFZ King Pro (B): Powerful yet controlled bass response, good snap in the treble, doesn't sacrifice too much in the midrange.
Ultimate Ears TF10 (B): Tonality and timbre is as spot-on as you can get for the price. Not as detailed as the new kids on the block but has the fundamentals down.
Alpha&Delta D6 (C+): Surprisingly good budget DD IEM. Not a giant killer by any means but nails a good balance of technical ability and fun.

Bah, wish I had this earlier. I would've gotten then TFZ King Pro instead of the iBasso IT01.

May 10, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #425 of 3,338
Bah, wish I had this earlier. I would've gotten then TFZ King Pro instead of the iBasso IT01.
I understand this feeling. Ended up returning the IT01 a while back due to its midrange.

I love the Oriolus mk2, and seeing it so high in the ranking with its price is one of the reasons I decided to buy it. Definitely one of my favorite purchases.

The Hyla CE-5 is what's interesting me next, but does it complement the Oriolus' warm signature for something more analytical (under $1K)? Was also interested in a used Andromeda, but your table suggests it's also a warm signature.

May 10, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #426 of 3,338

Just a slight reminder: you put the Rose mini 2 in the Rose BR5's slot

May 11, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #427 of 3,338
how about the LEGEND X and Phantom?i'm suprised you think the u18t are warm, maybe my tips need to be changed but i think they are very technical, very clear upper mids with m20 module but looking at the W80 with the same signature for your comparison (i have both) the W80 are warmer

May 11, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #428 of 3,338

Additions:

TFZ King Pro (B-): Powerful yet controlled bass response, good snap in the treble, doesn't sacrifice too much in the midrange.

@crinacle did you try listen to the iBasso IT01 with an amp? I find it cleans up the sound a lot and makes it more pleasant. It was about a C-ish for me unamped and definitely a B- with my Dragonfly Red.

May 11, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #429 of 3,338
@crinacle did you try listen to the iBasso IT01 with an amp? I find it cleans up the sound a lot and makes it more pleasant. It was about a C-ish for me unamped and definitely a B- with my Dragonfly Red.

I have heard many IEMs that require a lot power to be driven to their full potential (i.e. UE18+, ER4). The IT01 is very efficient and amp-independent in comparison.

May 14, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #431 of 3,338

Additions:

Fourte finally dethroned..
Its treble is a double edged sword, vibrant and airy on one hand but bright and forward on another. Can only achieve a better balance through source or cable rolling. Not the best timbre as well. Dont think thats acceptable for an iem costing 3k, given that cheaper iem flagships have better tuning.

May 14, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #432 of 3,338
I have heard many IEMs that require a lot power to be driven to their full potential (i.e. UE18+, ER4). The IT01 is very efficient and amp-independent in comparison.

wondering if you gonna do phantoms and legend x soon? Since you're emphasizing on timbre and tonal accuracy, would be interesting to see how you rank the phantoms especially

May 16, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #433 of 3,338
wondering if you gonna do phantoms and legend x soon? Since you're emphasizing on timbre and tonal accuracy, would be interesting to see how you rank the phantoms especially
i second this, owing the u18t i wonder how they compare to the LX, just to see if they can complement each other so i can grab a pair :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back