crinacle's IEM Ranking List
May 20, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #451 of 3,338
MD+ is really good for the monies. You made an optimal choice(if that's what you are wondering). :] Massdrop can tune stuff. Good intuition, guy.

KZ ZS5 is not really sibilant, but also they got a big gap in the FR. :/ Somebody parted the red sea while tuning. : o

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 2:03 AM Post #452 of 3,338
@crinacle Do you consider the Inear ProPhile-8 as a good improvement over the Massdrop Plus for someone that's targeting a neutralish profile upgrade within the $1000-2000 range, or there are better options in your S rank for that sound signature in terms of price/performance?

Also, in order to avoid bothering you twice with other question, what about the comfort compared to the Massdrop Plus?

Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #453 of 3,338
@crinacle Do you consider the Inear ProPhile-8 as a good improvement over the Massdrop Plus for someone that's targeting a neutralish profile upgrade within the $1000-2000 range, or there are better options in your S rank for that sound signature in terms of price/performance?

Also, in order to avoid bothering you twice with other question, what about the comfort compared to the Massdrop Plus?

I personally liked the fit of the MD+. Some people say that sharp housing lines of the Andromeda is bothersome, but MD+ doesn't have that.

May 23, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #454 of 3,338

Prophile-8 is definitely a solid choice. The bass boost switch is cleaner too, which was something I liked.

Personally I preferred the fit of InEar shells but that's probably because I have abnormally large and deep ears. Smaller ears might prefer the MD+, which was quite a loose fit for me.

May 24, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #455 of 3,338
Some small updates.

Reshuffles:
AAW A3H Pro V2 (B- to B): The A3Hv2 being my daily drivers should be a sign that I've underestimated it the first time round. Sounds "right" even after resetting my ears with an EQed HD800.
Alpha&Delta D6 (C+ to B-): The D6 sounds really really good, that's my justification.

Additions:
Massdrop x NuForce EDC3 (C): It serves as a much needed filler for the "neutral $100 IEM" space, but isn't exactly the most technical, has some timbre issues and has congested staging. A good pick if you really need something flat though.

May 24, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #456 of 3,338
Would suggest you update A12 description as it isn't anything like the old A12. The new A12t has more in common with ZeusR than the old A12.

May 24, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #458 of 3,338
@crinacle

Have you had a chance to listened to the Campfire Comets/Atlas or Empire Ears lineup yet? Lots of buzz around them atm.

May 24, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #459 of 3,338
AKG N5005 deserves a listen and ranking.

Thanks to this list & thread I'm considering A- and higher candidates to add to my collection.

May 25, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #460 of 3,338
Some small updates.

Reshuffles:
AAW A3H Pro V2 (B- to B): The A3Hv2 being my daily drivers should be a sign that I've underestimated it the first time round. Sounds "right" even after resetting my ears with an EQed HD800.
Alpha&Delta D6 (C+ to B-): The D6 sounds really really good, that's my justification.

Additions:
Massdrop x NuForce EDC3 (C): It serves as a much needed filler for the "neutral $100 IEM" space, but isn't exactly the most technical, has some timbre issues and has congested staging. A good pick if you really need something flat though.

Nice to see the EDC3 as an alternative in the $100 neutral front, do you think the GR07 classic is still worthing the "$100 bencharmk" status in Tier B-?

BTW, my most sincere respect and gratitude for the work you've done in the whole IEM community, even though we all have our own preferences, is really satisfactory to see such a complete and updated list, the closest thing to an IEM database around internet.

Plus, I would love to see how the IMR R1 behaves for the actual b-stock price that it haves, some people say that it's similar to the Hyla CE-5 in the bass department (due the beryllium driver), but with better coherency and mid/treble ranges.

Keep it doing this well. :ksc75smile:

May 29, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #462 of 3,338
Nice to see the EDC3 as an alternative in the $100 neutral front, do you think the GR07 classic is still worthing the "$100 bencharmk" status in Tier B-?

Plus, I would love to see how the IMR R1 behaves for the actual b-stock price that it haves, some people say that it's similar to the Hyla CE-5 in the bass department (due the beryllium driver), but with better coherency and mid/treble ranges.

I don't see why not. It's a balanced DD IEM which is a rarity these days, with everyone going all-in on the V-shaped train.

I'll contact IMR and see if they're willing to send one over. They have a lot to prove after their Trinity hijinks.

How about KZ ZS6/10?

Hard to find demos around but I'll try.

May 29, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #463 of 3,338
@crinacle strikes again! I purchased the MD+ based on his rankings and it turns out to be 100% accurate.

Basically same level as the ER4XR but just a different tuning. More musical and less analytical but stands its ground. Side grade if anything.

Looks like the Andromedas will be my next IEMs.

May 30, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #464 of 3,338
Can someone talk more about ES60? I love the idea acrylic body with softer nozzle, I think it have to be big win as regards comfy feeling. Also in past a few people really loved them as being neutral natural tuning, also people claimed that it is very good even out of some mobile like iPhone without hiss etc..But there is one big problem for me and it is price in Europe, I saw sometimes Westone had special price on shows for under $1K but in Europe you have to pay for them double without good contatcts.
So is ES60 still interesting today? Or newer Andromeda, Atlas, Prelude etc. definitely surpased it as possible achieve end sound? I will definitely do not want go higher than $1200 if I will decide to buy IEM again (I burned with JH13 in long past).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back