crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Nov 21, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #3,092 of 3,338
I mean I have U12T

And it's amazing hands down

Tried est iem and almost every est iem is weak in treble
The early IEM designs using the EST drivers had rolled-off treble, but the newer designs have much more treble. If you like the u-shaped tuning of the U12t, and want extended treble, you really need to try out the UM MEST. It has the EST drivers, but I’ve never heard more extended, detailed, and clear treble.

Nov 30, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #3,095 of 3,338
Soon...

blessingdusk_2.png

Attachments

• blessingdusk_2.png
    blessingdusk_2.png
    525 KB · Views: 0
Dec 9, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #3,097 of 3,338
Posted this in the Chinese-Asian brand IEM thread but I know there are very experienced and knowledgable, high quality IEMusers here. I would be grateful for any input or even alternatives regarding the below:

I've been researching and reading reviews aboutt tribids featuring estat and am stuck trying to pick one that checks my boxes. I did try the LZX A7 that many rave about as a giant killer, but had QC problems on 2 consecutive units (MMCX connector, defective filter module) and am ready to invest a bit more to check the right boxes.

In rough descending order of current preference based on reviews and graphs: Kinera Nanna, TRI Starlight, Penon Volt, Thieaudio Monarch, Shouer EJ07 all around $700-$900, Mofaset Trio costs even less.... but I'm having a difficult time deciding and was hoping those who've experienced several of these could help me hone in on best fit for my preferences.

The first 3 listed use use Sonion BA's I believe, which I'm interested to try as sometimes Knowles BA's sound a bit unnatural to me, but of course that's just one factor and I'm sure it has as much to do with tuning as manufacturer.

I listen to a lot of classical music, acoustic jazz and some classic rock, so natural instrument timbre is more important to me than "in your face" excitement. Good soundstage, instrument separation and clean layering are more important to me than a big, thick sound as long as note weight isn't too anemic or thin. Quick, tuneful bass quality is more important to me than bass quantity, mids preferred to be musical / sweet toned and just a bit wet rather than too clinical, and top end with good sparkle / extension just short of shrill and fatiguing, even if it rolls off the very extreme upper frequencies.

I will drive balanced with a FiiO BTR5, or if impedance isn't too mismatched (EG - the Nanna is 60 Ohms!) perhaps my Feliks-Audio Elise.

I know there may not be a perfect choice in this price tier and compromises may need to be made. That said, i'd be grateful for input and opinions from this thread.

Dec 9, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #3,099 of 3,338
Given what you just posted. GO MEST.
I know, very intriguing but cost-wise ups the ante. I also have moderate tinnitus and wasn't sure if the bone conduction might accentuate / exacerbate it more than other driver types.

Dec 10, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #3,100 of 3,338
I know, very intriguing but cost-wise ups the ante. I also have moderate tinnitus and wasn't sure if the bone conduction might accentuate / exacerbate it more than other driver types.

Oh jeez. Yeah that could be out of the question. EJ07 could be a friend to you.

Dec 23, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #3,101 of 3,338
Replying in a separate thread so as not to clutter:

Hello Crinacle,

For the HD820 remarks - "The mystical acoustic properties of Gorilla Glass could not save this monstrosity. ", Can you elaborate and share what could possibly be so "monstrous" about its sound?

Thanks.

Mainly tuning. One of the most unnatural sounding closed-back headphones in my opinion; sounds interestingly thick and thin at the same time, probably owing to the combo of boosted bass and recessed upper bass/lower mids. General midrange tonality also isn't the best either, taking the worst parts of the HD800 without any benefits.

Per usual, IMO, YMMV, audio is subjective etc. etc.

Dec 23, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #3,102 of 3,338
The early IEM designs using the EST drivers had rolled-off treble, but the newer designs have much more treble. If you like the u-shaped tuning of the U12t, and want extended treble, you really need to try out the UM MEST. It has the EST drivers, but I’ve never heard more extended, detailed, and clear treble.
Which is better for classical music?

Feb 1, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #3,105 of 3,338

Users who are viewing this thread

Back