crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Oct 3, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #3,001 of 3,338
Listen, off topic, I’m a QDC fanboy (as you can tell). If you have anything to sell. Message me :wink:

Oct 3, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #3,002 of 3,338
Listen, off topic, I’m a QDC fanboy (as you can tell). If you have anything to sell. Message me :wink:
At the moment I only have a Beat Audio Lab Emerald Mk2 8w (4.4 2pin) that I want to sell and an Eletech Fortitude (4.4 MMCX)

Oct 3, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #3,004 of 3,338
What is your top 3 favorites QDC?

Oct 3, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #3,005 of 3,338
Oct 3, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #3,006 of 3,338
Oct 3, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #3,007 of 3,338
I’ve been hearing really good things about the MEST from some friends who’s impressions are in line with mine, so I would definitely be interested in trying those, but I’m also developing my HP side of things so I am kinda pausing my IEM spending
I just let go MEST, but if I can make a comparison, it’s like a hybrid of Z1R and Anole VX, but the scale tipping much closer to VX. Interesting tuning where it’s trying to be reference monitor, but also fun and dynamic - but falls short of being dynamic. Imho, much more interesting than VX, which like you, I find a bit lifeless.

I personally found it doesn’t hold up to KSE1500 or Z1R, but outshines the latter technically, and arguably more musical than KSE with my personal eq. If you think Z1R treble is the best you’ve heard, then MEST will impress, I find it more effortless up top, but not as natural in its delivery of treble. Sometimes MEST feels oversaturared and etched, especially at higher volume, almost like the treble of the est’s are trying to dominate.

For me, it’s a more crisp and clean U12T, with better technicalites but worse musicality and timbre, but so marginal. They’re actually very similar. Maybe I should say MEST bridges the U12T and VX in its tuning, but admittedly, I haven’t heard the U12T in months.

I almost kept MEST, but would have had to sell the IER-M9, but at the end of the day, I’d rather keep the more different and romantic M9 to compliment what I have and also for reliability.

Last edited:
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 3, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #3,009 of 3,338
The moment I read something is great for vocals I think of super forward upper mids and I hate that personally... they end up sounding so unnatural and overdone to me (especially something like the Odin)

Oct 3, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #3,010 of 3,338
The moment I read something is great for vocals I think of super forward upper mids and I hate that personally... they end up sounding so unnatural and overdone to me (especially something like the Odin)
The only bad nitpick for MEST is forward upper mids, so brace yourself 😛

Other only mild nitpick is lack of midbass weight, something that usually never bothers me as most product have too much midbass bloat generally

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 3, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #3,011 of 3,338
The only bad nitpick for MEST is forward upper mids, so brace yourself 😛

Other only mild nitpick is lack of midbass weight, something that usually never bothers me as most product have too much midbass bloat generally
I feel forward mids are good for certain vocal songs, just my personal preference

Oct 3, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #3,012 of 3,338
I feel forward mids are good for certain vocal songs, just my personal preference
I actually think the MEST has neutral to slightly recessed upper mids compared to a lot of other IEMs. I happen to really like it though.

Over 200 posts over the past day, I think that may be some kind of record.

Oct 3, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #3,013 of 3,338
Oct 3, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #3,014 of 3,338
Next Wednesday I’m receiving the HeadAmp GSX Mini and the Pico portable amp, as well as the ifi BL, and I also have my Romi BX2 to compare to them. The A90 should also be arriving really soon as that’ll be the starting point, followed by some quick sales most likely haha

As soon as I figure out my portable and desktop setups I’m putting everything on my list :D

+1 recommendation for the IER Z1R and the LX, and I’d add the Andromeda 2020 as my personal addition to the must try list
Im interested to listen to new Andro. Hating old andros due to its mids. New one seems better mids.

Oct 3, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #3,015 of 3,338
They work well in specific songs I agree but I tend to evaluate IEMs based on how they perform with a super wide variety of music so when it’s very genre-specific I end up disliking them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back