crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Nov 16, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #197 of 3,338
Hi!

Based on multiple reviews the 64 audio u12 is super smooth.

How is it compared to ue 18 pro +?
These 2 are my final two to me hehe

Thanks!

U12 has big and almost dynamic-like bass, probably has the edge in soundstage width but not in separation ability as it can get smeared at times. The UE18+ has more neutral, better textured and IMO more "natural" sounding mids (your definition of natural may vary) but falls flat in bass and overall soundstage spaciousness.

So, yeah. The U12 for that heavy, decadent and rich sound while the UE18+ for that less heavy but equally rich (and some say more accurate) tone.

Nov 18, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #198 of 3,338
Maybe you should update the iSine\LCDi4 reviews, now that they released the DSP plugin 'Reveal"?

Nov 19, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #200 of 3,338
I think all are aware of it being an EQ, and don't really glorify it, but the thing is that it enables quick and easy balancing of the FR. It can be a very difficult thing to do, especially for headphones like these which are very far from being balanced without the EQ.
And the company supplied it, thus can be considered part of the product.

I like Audeze's approach with the iSine because FR can be fix with EQ, but distortion can't be fixed.

Nov 19, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #201 of 3,338
I think all are aware of it being an EQ, and don't really glorify it, but the thing is that it enables quick and easy balancing of the FR. It can be a very difficult thing to do, especially for headphones like these which are very far from being balanced without the EQ.
And the company supplied it, thus can be considered part of the product.

I like Audeze's approach with the iSine because FR can be fix with EQ, but distortion can't be fixed.

My point being that I only rate hardware, not software. The Cipher cable is a piece of physical hardware that comes with Audeze's portable planars so I can make an exception. The Reveal plugin is purely software side and so if I do add it into the rankings, I have to find all optimal EQ profiles of all 150 IEMs out of principle as well. Not going to go down that rabbit hole.

Nov 19, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #203 of 3,338
Nov 20, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #206 of 3,338
Which IEMS were the most bang for buck in your opinion?
Answer's already in the charts. At tier A- you have the Massdrop Plus going for $300 against other 4-figure IEMs in the same tier. If that ain't bang I dunno what is haha.

Nov 20, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #209 of 3,338
There's also the Etymotics, the benchmark of affordable reference-grade. But bcos the fit is not for everyone (deep deep insertion and triple-flange tips, yikes), the Massdrop looks way friendlier.

Nov 20, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #210 of 3,338
There's also the Etymotics, the benchmark of affordable reference-grade. But bcos the fit is not for everyone (deep deep insertion and triple-flange tips, yikes), the Massdrop looks way friendlier.

counterpoint: I have shallowish canals and typically hate multiflange tips, including old ER6 tips but somehow I find the classic grey ER4 tips super comfortable once they break-in- they almost mold to the shape of the ear... of course the first week on a new set of tips is an itchy nightmare :persevere:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back