crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Jul 20, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #2,011 of 3,338
It might be the one that he said sounded horrible, disjointed, and like something that’s been through a washing machine.

Dug up this graph of it (https://m.imgur.com/5sm0Fka?r) - that looks like a 20-30 dB chasm at 5k?

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:04 AM Post #2,012 of 3,338
It might be the one that he said sounded horrible, disjointed, and like something that’s been through a washing machine.

Dug up this graph of it (https://m.imgur.com/5sm0Fka?r) - that looks like a 20-30 dB chasm at 5k?
Still, it's not completely fair until we see a measurement with a more accurate coupler used in the measurement. That measurement is from his old DIY rig that wasn't so reliable.

Some stuff just looks like they tie a bunch of BAs together and put it inside a shell. Is there even any tuning that happen?

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #2,013 of 3,338
Jul 20, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #2,014 of 3,338
Jul 20, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #2,017 of 3,338
Oh damn! I wonder why did it get an F.

Earsonics are notorious for those 5khz cuts, but I don't think all of their stuff has them (particularly more recent models?).

I suspect if an ES iem ever ranks very high on this list it would be in the nature of a happy accident - they seem to have an eccentric/individuated approach to tunings and allow for certain irregularities which probably clashes with the stated goals of these measurements and quasi-objective evaluations.

Personally find them difficult to recommend for that reason (and pricing) in spite of enjoing the ones I've used for various reasons (SM1/2, ES2, ES5, S-EM9... I think ES2 are my favorites if not the 'best' kind of a spacious, midsy sound that's unique among my IEMs, but poor with some music)

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #2,018 of 3,338
Earsonics are notorious for those 5khz cuts, but I don't think all of their stuff has them (particularly more recent models?).

I suspect if an ES iem ever ranks very high on this list it would be in the nature of a happy accident - they seem to have an eccentric/individuated approach to tunings and allow for certain irregularities which probably clashes with the stated goals of these measurements and quasi-objective evaluations.

Personally find them difficult to recommend for that reason (and pricing) in spite of enjoing the ones I've used for various reasons (SM1/2, ES2, ES5, S-EM9... I think ES2 are my favorites if not the 'best' kind of a spacious, midsy sound that's unique among my IEMs, but poor with some music)

I'd agree. Now that I think back, even with SM3, Earsonics has been quite a hit or miss brand for most people. Personally, I like it that it's not fatigue inducing and still is musical enough for me.. I think I heard the old ES signature without the 5k dip, but I can't be sure. I removed the filters off my old SM3, and it was a massive improvement.

Jul 20, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #2,019 of 3,338
Still, it's not completely fair until we see a measurement with a more accurate coupler used in the measurement. That measurement is from his old DIY rig that wasn't so reliable.

Some stuff just looks like they tie a bunch of BAs together and put it inside a shell. Is there even any tuning that happen?
reasonable remark, but I had a similar "oops I ****ed up with my crossover" dive. it's at 4.5kHz on the pair someone sent me, instead of the almost spot on 5kHz on that graph but it's the same stuff. and when you know how the guy tuning it likes working "by ear", it does explain why several models turned out with a small dead zone somewhere. because anybody measuring it would gasp, but subjectively it's not nearly as objectionable as a spiky boost and most people couldn't tell if a very short area is missing.
that pair sounded to me as I remembered another pair at a meeting a year or two before, both channels were closely enough matched, I have no reason to suspect it was a defective pair. and even a garbage measurement rig wouldn't just add a random hole in the FR in the midrange. that's just how that model was. to be entirely honest, I kind of liked it for the completely non fatiguing sound. I just never personally thought it was worth the asking price or even half of it.

Jul 21, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #2,020 of 3,338
New products from earsonics have nothing to do with their old production.
Purple , EM64 , Grace are all very good IEMs , with different sound signature (purple are more tuned like EM64 , which are much different than Grace)
I started to like their IEMs since S-EM9, not before to be honest.

I think that Purple/EM64 are offering a very good price /performance ratio

Jul 21, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #2,021 of 3,338
I think that Purple/EM64 are offering a very good price /performance ratio

I am curious to try Purple, in Crin's standard mode measurement looks like a more linear ES5 which has an odd tone I think might be explained by the 4-6khz depression that Purple also shares. Perhaps just lowering the bass and 6khz a touch is enough to even the tone out.... really I should just be experimenting with EQ instead of this idle speculation :face_palm:

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #2,025 of 3,338
I am curious about the galaxy buds.
Being B tier and costing around 100 usd they outperforms most of the buds in the chart. No brainer best buy?

Also, anyone knows anything about the driver configuration?
Personally, I didn't find sound to be all that although the response looks proper. Stock tips has very narrow hole covering most of the nozzle, and you get low amount of bass. You have to get wider opening tips to get more bass quantity in my experience.

@crinacle Did you measure Galaxy buds with stock tips?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back