creative recon3D pcie sound card + Denon AH-D5000 or Titanium HD (Without amp)
Apr 28, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #46 of 59
cheers roller, indeed the asgard is one great extermal amp, I did even try it with the recon3d and my onboard audio (alc889) and the results are magnificent, I have even made a small comparision between the recon3d and the titanium HD just to let everyone know how they both sounded with an external amp and headphones,

Apr 28, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #48 of 59

Quote:
I would go with the TitaniumHD, hands down compared to the other Recon.

indeed ROBSCIX when comparing both sources the onboard alc889 with the titanium HD head to head, the titanium HD wins hands down even comparing with the recon3D, now I am totally convenced since I made an extensive comparision my self, so no doubts about this :)

Apr 28, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #49 of 59
Yeah, the Recons are a very low end card in comparison to what is available these days.
I am not sure what CL thoughts were in marketing these cards but they are just not very impressive at all to those that know about audio.

Apr 28, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #50 of 59
Considering Windows 8 is expected to bring back the proper audio HAL, it is indeed an odd marketing decision from Creative to release PCIe implemented audio codecs.

In any case, the OP had already gone with the Titanium HD, so that's no longer a concern, his card will serve him for many years to come, specs and feature wise.

May 24, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #51 of 59
I have been experiencing sound distorsion and loss of bass when I set the titanium HD ( windows volume to 100% ) when using the external amp, should I keep it at 50% what is the ideal volume I should set.

thanks.

May 24, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #52 of 59
I personally set my Titanium HD to 25%, but mainly because it gives me more headroom for EQ adjustment upwards without clipping.

Chances are you're running into clipping at 100% volume, so dropping the sound card volume down significantly should help a lot. Use your external amp to make volume adjustments whenever possible.

May 24, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #53 of 59
Quote:
I personally set my Titanium HD to 25%, but mainly because it gives me more headroom for EQ adjustment upwards without clipping.

Chances are you're running into clipping at 100% volume, so dropping the sound card volume down significantly should help a lot. Use your external amp to make volume adjustments whenever possible

I have been noticing clicking when I increase low frequency in EQ, I am just worried if I lower windows volume I might loose some sound quality, thats why am asking cuz I have read somewhere that its better to keep it at 100% when using external amp.

May 24, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #54 of 59
Quote:
I have been noticing clicking when I increase low frequency in EQ, I am just worried if I lower windows volume I might loose some sound quality, thats why am asking cuz I have read somewhere that its better to keep it at 100% when using external amp.

I don't notice any sound quality decrease when using an external amp at less than 100% sound card volume. All that really changes, as you'd expect, is volume...and the presence or absence of clipping.

May 25, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #55 of 59
excuse my ignorance, this is my first high quality headphones and external amps so stupid questions are inevitable, I hear to clipping or distorsion at 50% when the low frequency EQ is at the highest, or should I keep it at 25%, prehaps it depends on the equipment.
thanks

May 30, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #56 of 59
so recently I have been using the headphones without the asgard external amp, just connected it directly to the titanium HD and have been noticing a slight crisp in the sound quality, this made me wonder do I really need the amp for the ah-d5000, especially in gaming, I know that Mr roller and other users have recommended an external amp to drive the ah-d5000 to the full potential, but I really need a second opinion cuz am confused now, there is a slightly better details when running without the amp, its no big deal.
I would really appreciate it if any other users of titanium HD and denon ah-d5000 to give me an opinion about this.
either way the sound is great, just hard to decide between headphones directly to headphones out vs asgard connected to the sound card through RCA.
seems like am o.c.ding over this just alittle bit more than I need to :)

May 30, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #57 of 59
I suggest to let your ears decide whether you need a certain piece of audio equipment or not.

If the D5000 sounds fine to you straight out of the Titanium HD, then maybe you don't need the Schiit Asgard at all and can recoup some of your costs.

Volume adjustment may be more inconvenient without an external amp with a huge volume knob on it, though.

May 31, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #58 of 59
Quote:
I suggest to let your ears decide whether you need a certain piece of audio equipment or not.

If the D5000 sounds fine to you straight out of the Titanium HD, then maybe you don't need the Schiit Asgard at all and can recoup some of your costs.

Volume adjustment may be more inconvenient without an external amp with a huge volume knob on it, though.

thank you for the reply, I which it was that easy to decide amped and unamped both have their weaks and strengths, as for the schiit asgard am not going to sell it as I might need it for future headphones, and regarding the volume knod my keyboard has a volume roller, so this solves the problem, RCA out has higher specs than headphones out, while when I conneced headphones directly there is a certain crispiness to the sound especially in games, I which someone with the same configuration could help me deciding, and from my understanding low impedance headphones with high sensitivity require much current, so I don`t know if the titanium HD is providing the headphones with such current.

May 31, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #59 of 59
so I have email denons customer support about this concern and they have replied to me recommending using denon ah-d5000 with an external amp connected to the sound card, so I guess this settle the issue for me :) everyone is recommending an external amp for the full potential of the d5000 headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back