Creative Aurvana Live! Review and Mods
Jul 19, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #91 of 258
Just ordered these.  Gonna see if they stand up to all the good reviews.  Should get em on Monday
L3000.gif

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #92 of 258
Quote:
Just ordered these.  Gonna see if they stand up to all the good reviews.  Should get em on Monday
L3000.gif

Cheap, confortable, light and portable, good bass (maybe soo much sub-bass), a bit punchy, nice mids, shy highs, good on a lot of king of music styles. Not a typical kind of V shape (more like a neutral U), no need amplification... It's a winner horse...

I hope you enjoy it!!

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #93 of 258
Hello all CAL owners. Today my CALs have broken in my bag 
triportsad.gif
 I have broken a little metal bolt that connect 2 parts

9557151382_f9320a2ed3_b.jpg

Does someone face this problem? Can I glue it? Or I need to make a new one and replace the broken?

Aug 22, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #95 of 258
Here is macro photos

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/uvlsj581qx4r333/F8ArJqYVeQ
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/0yscmncrouzakm6/Wi2LCqAz7A

As you can see I have tried to glue them with superglue, but it doesn't keep it.

I am thinking about epoxy. If it doesn't work I will try to find man with milling machine and ask him make this detail. And if it doesn't work too I will try to find some screw with the same shape

Aug 22, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #97 of 258
I used that type of glue very long time ago but for my bathroom. I dont think that I can it use for such a small thing.
And risk of that I cant repair it after failed using is very high

Oct 2, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #99 of 258
Hi Mike,

I relaize this is a couple of months down the road - hopefully you have solved your problem. I actually just got the same exact break on my CAL headphones. A real shame. I think it is partly because I made wood earcups which are a bit heavier than the stock ones. I have contacted Creative and they seem to be pretty on the spot. I am trying to see if I can just get a whole new cup-swivel arm from them... with a downed warranty . I will keep you all posted. I'll post pictures if asked.

Oct 2, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #100 of 258
Hi Mike,

I relaize this is a couple of months down the road - hopefully you have solved your problem. I actually just got the same exact break on my CAL headphones. A real shame. I think it is partly because I made wood earcups which are a bit heavier than the stock ones. I have contacted Creative and they seem to be pretty on the spot. I am trying to see if I can just get a whole new cup-swivel arm from them... with a downed warranty . I will keep you all posted. I'll post pictures if asked.
I've got a set off a silver Denon Ahd1000 if you don't have any luck with Creative.
Cups as well!! Oh a Driver as well!!

Oct 14, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #101 of 258
WOW! MagicMan,  I did not realize that the denons were so similar to the creatives! Looks like the exact same drivers? Cups are almost the same, and looks like the same swingy arms.

So I contacted customer support and yea I don't have a warranty (got my unit off ebay for $50, and I've opened them up and resoldered em so many times that they would look at them and laugh) but they also said they can't just dole out/ sell individual parts. They offered me a 10% discount on any non-newly released products (ie can't use to buy some CAL2s) because I said I loved their products. Anyway, here's what I did:

I pulled apart the ear assembly that allows the headband to click and slide into place. It is comprised of two plastic pieces, the metal headband arm, two little metal pieces that slide and hold the headband in place, two glasses-sized screws, and the bolt that normally holds the earcup and allows it to swivel.  The bolt that holds the earcups and swingarms inplace had split in two (my right earcup no longer attached to the headband). I took the swing arm, clamped it in a vise, and forced the broken bit of the screw (in the swingy arm) through the plastic by pushing it with a drill press *carefully*. I then found a similarly sized screw and ground it down til it fit in the head band portion of the assembly and it was the right length. Rest assured that when you take apart the headband assembly you can get everything back in place, it will still fit back together. Just be careful! Once I had the new screw in there and the headband portion reassembled (glasses screws in and all), I filled the new hole in the swingyarm with epoxy and screwed it onto the screw until it was back in place flush with the plastic portion of the headband. I then cleaned off the extra epoxy and let it sit for a few hours. Came back and put the cups on and it is rock solid. Well - the arm will never again rotate because it is epoxied into place, but the darn thing won't break again!

I should have taken pictures during the project but I got too absorbed and forgot. I will post a pic of my headphones tomorrow.

-cookies42

Oct 14, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #102 of 258
Yes the Cal And Denon are basically the same set of cans. Basically, The differences, the Cals Cups are two pieces, the Denon is a single mold. The headband is different, The Cal is a solid band where the Denons have a wider pad at the top, Better padding. The cable is different as well, The Cal has that cheaper rubber and the Denon is better, Rubber as well but the plug is much higher quality. Also the pads are different, both the same size, but the Cal is a little thicker and memory foam. The Denon not as thick but is made of the nicer Fake Eggshell leather.
Also the mesh inside the Cals pads are thicker giving them a slightly darker sound, and the deeper bass. The Denons have slightly less bass but the Balance is better from top to bottom.
The drivers are exactly the same Foster/Fostex Oem.
I prefer the Denon, it has a cleaner more crispy sound then the Cals. Some people prefer the Cal for the deeper Bass, it gets muddy too much for me. Yeah the Denon is lighter in impact, but the rest makes up for it.

Glad you got your up and running, Glue/Epoxy works wonders :D

Oct 14, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #103 of 258
Hi MagicMan,

Thanks for the response. I have heard about this fabled "Fostex/Foster" driver elsewhere, and I was wondering what the hubbub was about. Now it comes to me I am thinking I was reading a post about the new CAL2 and CAL Gold / Premium or whatever that Creative is about to put out. The consensus seemed to be that a certain driver (Foster), and it sounded like even a certain model, would be desirable. Now, I don't know all that much about headphones. But why is Fostex apparently a cut above the rest? Is it a price and quality type of thing? Is it related to hype and fan-boy ism?

Thanks,
cookies

My CAL! envisioned below.  "L" is the damaged side that will never move again. I made the cups out of brazilian cherry, jatoba. I just copied the original cups in terms of shape and made up some routing forms. Then I stuck my pieces cherry to the forms and routed em with a simple router bit. DOn't remember the size. I def could have made the things smaller (used a smaller routing bit and less wood) because these things are pretty big and weighty, even after hollowing them out. I tried to solder up some new wires (starquad) with a new jack but I simply do not have the skill to do it apparently. I could not solder it all quite right, or I would end up splitting a wire or breaking the cable. 

Oct 15, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #104 of 258
  Hi MagicMan,

Thanks for the response. I have heard about this fabled "Fostex/Foster" driver elsewhere, and I was wondering what the hubbub was about. Now it comes to me I am thinking I was reading a post about the new CAL2 and CAL Gold / Premium or whatever that Creative is about to put out. The consensus seemed to be that a certain driver (Foster), and it sounded like even a certain model, would be desirable. Now, I don't know all that much about headphones. But why is Fostex apparently a cut above the rest? Is it a price and quality type of thing? Is it related to hype and fan-boy ism?

Thanks,
cookies

My CAL! envisioned below.  "L" is the damaged side that will never move again. I made the cups out of brazilian cherry, jatoba. I just copied the original cups in terms of shape and made up some routing forms. Then I stuck my pieces cherry to the forms and routed em with a simple router bit. DOn't remember the size. I def could have made the things smaller (used a smaller routing bit and less wood) because these things are pretty big and weighty, even after hollowing them out. I tried to solder up some new wires (starquad) with a new jack but I simply do not have the skill to do it apparently. I could not solder it all quite right, or I would end up splitting a wire or breaking the cable. 

Nice work. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back