Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Nov 4, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #3,151 of 12,335
"@amcananey, its mild steel of course its going to oxidize with moisture, they paint cars for that very reason. "

That's great...as long as you know that it is "mild steel". And how exactly am I supposed to know that? I wouldn't know steel from any other metal. I know the chassis is aluminum, and I know aluminum doesn't rust. Beyond that I don't have a clue.

Sorry man, didn't mean for that to sound condescending.  What i meant to say is any bare untreated metal is going to oxidize, even aluminium, just some do it faster than others.

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #3,152 of 12,335
Other than aesthetics, is there anything functionally bad about the rust? Noticed that mine rusted as well but didn't think much of it

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #3,154 of 12,335
Unexpected good news on the UK Crack front I have just received notice for duty and custom clearance fees for Crack and Speedball. it was in fact much less than anticipated via the earlier posted calculator which gave £80 in the end it was only £27 must be something to do with it being in the kit form as parts.  Should be delivered tomorrow.

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #3,155 of 12,335
  Unexpected good news on the UK Crack front I have just received notice for duty and custom clearance fees for Crack and Speedball. it was in fact much less than anticipated via the earlier posted calculator which gave £80 in the end it was only £27 must be something to do with it being in the kit form as parts.  Should be delivered tomorrow.

popcorn.gif

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #3,156 of 12,335
Many years ago I did a custom amp in which I used one of the "antiquing" kits that created rust. I did the channel frames of the chokes, and the bell end of the power transformer. Used a green flocking on the coils and a green suede texture paint on the chassis panel, and wrapped the fly leads with bare copper tape. IIRC I sprayed a matte clear finish over the rust. Sold rather quickly.

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #3,158 of 12,335
^ Very cool Doc!

Nov 5, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #3,159 of 12,335
That's a smashing look, its got that steam punk look going for it, sticking with the antiquing theme Doc's green top reminded me of that lovely green patina bronze gets when its been left out side, it would go really well with the rust and wouldn't look out of place as part of the Time Machine out of a Jules Verne novel.

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #3,160 of 12,335
Just got my rca clear top. Even with the standard 6080wa my of my it changes the crack to even better. The bass is crazy tight. This amp is keep improving with every changes

Nov 6, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #3,163 of 12,335
Speaking of RCA clear tops. Is there a better year to seek out?

Not that I have personally found a better year, but a NOS matched Mu is a good better bet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back