Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Nov 1, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #3,091 of 12,335
  Thanks Bro!  I may tape off the transformer and paint the bell as well. But it's gonna stay pretty much stock.  I love the sound and I'm only gonna tinker with tubes.

Hehe, Doc strikes again! 
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 1, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #3,092 of 12,335
Do put some kind of protection on the bell end, even if it's just paste wax or regular treament with a wipe of light oil like 3 in 1 or Remoil. It's raw steel that just gets a temporary coating of a sort of waxy oil in manufacturing, and it will eventually rust if left in even a moderately humid environment without any protection. Best bet is to clean it well to remove the existing treatment (naptha or acetone) and then shoot it with your choice of clear coat or paint.

Nov 1, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #3,093 of 12,335
  Do put some kind of protection on the bell end, even if it's just paste wax or regular treament with a wipe of light oil like 3 in 1 or Remoil. It's raw steel that just gets a temporary coating of a sort of waxy oil in manufacturing, and it will eventually rust if left in even a moderately humid environment without any protection. Best bet is to clean it well to remove the existing treatment (naptha or acetone) and then shoot it with your choice of clear coat or paint.

Thanks for the advice, Doc!  And thanks for a great product.  It costs about the same as the Schiit Asgard 2, but I think it is far superior in tone, especially in the midrange.  The best value in hifi, imo.

Nov 2, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #3,094 of 12,335
11/02/13 update:
Minwax English Chestnut finish with 3 coats of semi-gloss.

The transformer and the bell are painted with rust-oleum flat black and gloss black, respectively.  I still need to work on finishing the gloss black, as it's a little uneven.  But the wood finish came out better than I had hoped; it almost glows.

Nov 2, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #3,095 of 12,335
  11/02/13 update:
Minwax English Chestnut finish with 3 coats of semi-gloss.

The transformer and the bell are painted with rust-oleum flat black and gloss black, respectively.  I still need to work on finishing the gloss black, as it's a little uneven.  But the wood finish came out better than I had hoped; it almost glows.

I love the look of this.  The black bell looks really good.  I am waiting for my walnut headphone stand to stain the base so I can try to match the color.

Nov 2, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #3,096 of 12,335
  I love the look of this.  The black bell looks really good.  I am waiting for my walnut headphone stand to stain the base so I can try to match the color.

Thx, man!  Enjoy that project.  I haven't done any wood working since the eighth grade (I'm now 39), and it was pretty satisfying (because I didn't jack it up!).  Thank god for youtube!

Nov 2, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #3,098 of 12,335
So the bell part of the transformer really need to be painted so it doesn't rust? Didn't know that. :frowning2: now I have to open it up to paint it :frowning2:

Nov 2, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #3,100 of 12,335
So the bell part of the transformer really need to be painted so it doesn't rust? Didn't know that.
frown.gif
now I have to open it up to paint it
frown.gif

If I was you, I would just tape it up real good on the outside and spray it. I wouldn't want to risk screwing up a solder joint or something, possibly spending 2x the time of just taping.

Nov 2, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #3,101 of 12,335
Where I can get complete built version of Crack and offer international shipping?

Nov 2, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #3,102 of 12,335
If I was you, I would just tape it up real good on the outside and spray it. I wouldn't want to risk screwing up a solder joint or something, possibly spending 2x the time of just taping.
not necessarily.  you can tape the top of the transformer just below the bell and paint.  you can also put a sealant on it, as doc B described.  Just some kind of coating.

But if it's a matter if rust. Would it not rust from the inside side of the bell?

Nov 2, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #3,103 of 12,335
But if it's a matter if rust. Would it not rust from the inside side of the bell?

I wouldn't stress it too much about the inside of the bell.

Nov 2, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #3,104 of 12,335
So the bell part of the transformer really need to be painted so it doesn't rust? Didn't know that.
frown.gif
now I have to open it up to paint it
frown.gif

I'm in the same boat, Mahdi8. The Crack was my first ever DIY so I didn't really tinker with it, but am now deciding whether to dismantle and go fully custom!! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back