Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Nov 3, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #3,106 of 12,335
  I wouldn't stress it too much about the inside of the bell.

Are you sure about that? I mean I want this to last many years. Or a little rust won't be an issue ie cosmetic only? if yes then I wouldn't worry so much

I'm in the same boat, Mahdi8. The Crack was my first ever DIY so I didn't really tinker with it, but am now deciding whether to dismantle and go fully custom!! 

Yeah I wish it was made more clear in the manual that rust may be an issue if you didn't paint properly. I would have done so

Nov 3, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #3,107 of 12,335
sorry double post

Nov 3, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #3,108 of 12,335
Originally Posted by DefQon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was and am still thinking of carbon fibering the top aluminium plate, but I'm not sure the carbon fiber decal can tolerate a few hours or constant daily use of on and off 40-55'C. Please do let me know if you pull it off on yours.

Regarding the carbon overlay the carbon fibre will be able to handle the heat without any problem but you will need to use the correct resin, it would be best to use a epoxy resin, using the correct resin the heat will actually make the carbon resin matrix stronger.

The bit of carbon in the picture was made up on a piece of flat glass.

The much much quicker, cleaner, safer and cheaper way to get the same effect would be to buy a small length of the carbon fibre effect vinyl decal the self adhesive type they use for wrapping cars there are some stunning colours and graphics available.  It should be less expensive than painting around $5 with free delivery off of fleebay. No half used can of paint no brushes to clean out no sanding between coats etc etc. I am Starting to warm to the idea myself!

I just happen to have a left over bit of carbon that's been hanging around.

Nov 3, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #3,109 of 12,335
Quick question for any UK Crack fiends: Did you receive a shipping confirmation from BH?

I put my order in towards the end of September and looking at the delivery status ("orders through 10/2 shipped"), I guess that technically means mine will have been shipped.

I haven't received confirmation of the same from BH, though, so was just wondering if I have anything to worry about. I only mention because I saw a few people mention shipping confirmation...

Edit: Also, I've only just realised this having scoured the BH site, but will I also be paying UK customs fees on top? Not a big issue, but just not something I'd realised - entirely due to my own over-eagerness/stupidity.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Import duty/tax almost certainly for crack speedball expect around £70-80 with customs clearing fee before they deliver. You should receive a letter with detail shortly after the item has clear customs.

Amplifier has an import duty rate of 3.7% and VAT rate of 20% + Import handling fees by Royal Mail: £8 per parcel liable for customs charges

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

It gets expensive rather quickly 
triportsad.gif

Nov 3, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #3,110 of 12,335
importing into Canada can be brutal. UPS (brown) is to blame. They are charging around 60-70$ regardless of duty and such. As a process fee. They have been class-actiomed for the practice, but they still persist. Its hare to tell a shipper not to use UPS. IE, I can't be your customer if you insist on using UPS.

Nov 3, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #3,111 of 12,335
  Are you sure about that? I mean I want this to last many years. Or a little rust won't be an issue ie cosmetic only? if yes then I wouldn't worry so much

Correct, it's just for cosmetic purposes.

Nov 3, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #3,112 of 12,335
Just checked my tracking number my Crack as of October 31 it is clearing UK customs. It might just arrive this week, perhaps fingers crossed and I am still undecided on what to go with finish wise even after the wait!

Nov 3, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #3,113 of 12,335
has anyone else tried the crack with HE-400s? I know its not ideal, but strangely I get a weird distortion/buzzing when I hook them up. I have the crack with speedball and it sounds beautiful with my other high impedance phones. 

Nov 3, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #3,114 of 12,335
I think I have a bad tube.
When I touch the amp or tap the desk it's on I hear it in the left channel. When I rub my finger across the metal plate it even sounds trough the tube. Tapping the tube is, ofcourse, audible and quitte loud really.
This is mostly in the left channel.

This isn't that big of a problem. I have another more anoying problem.
It started with slight crackling every now and then whenever I wasn't listening to music and the amp was on. It happened regardless of volume. Anyway I guessed this might go away with burn in but apparently it's the Wi-Fi's fault. I tested it today and it picks up the signals. Shielding it with some heavy metal
L3000.gif
 makes the crackling/noise go away. I'm talking about the small input tube. When i'm downloading at full speed the noise is actually very load, around 80% of listening level. It happens only at the 2.5gHz band but unfortunately 5gHz is no option.

What's up here?

edit:
Ohhhh and I have another question.. Is it possible to use an PCC189 tube or an 6H23N "Rocket logo" tube with this amp? I have those laying around. I heard they are similar to 6992 tubes and that those are just lower in volume that 12au7 tubes.
So would they fit? I'd love to tube roll and it temporarily gets rid of the wifi interference.

Nov 3, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #3,115 of 12,335
  has anyone else tried the crack with HE-400s? I know its not ideal, but strangely I get a weird distortion/buzzing when I hook them up. I have the crack with speedball and it sounds beautiful with my other high impedance phones. 

I demoed some HE-400s and never had an issue with Crack/Speedball.  Didn't really think much of the sound if a remember correctly.

Nov 3, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #3,116 of 12,335
HolyCheese, you could use a tube shield. An aluminium tube covering the tubes, it replaces the metal ring covering your tube socket. Something like that: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/vacuum-tube-shield.

Nov 3, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #3,117 of 12,335
  I think I have a bad tube.
When I touch the amp or tap the desk it's on I hear it in the left channel. When I rub my finger across the metal plate it even sounds trough the tube. Tapping the tube is, ofcourse, audible and quitte loud really.
This is mostly in the left channel.

This isn't that big of a problem. I have another more anoying problem.
It started with slight crackling every now and then whenever I wasn't listening to music and the amp was on. It happened regardless of volume. Anyway I guessed this might go away with burn in but apparently it's the Wi-Fi's fault. I tested it today and it picks up the signals. Shielding it with some heavy metal
L3000.gif
 makes the crackling/noise go away. I'm talking about the small input tube. When i'm downloading at full speed the noise is actually very load, around 80% of listening level. It happens only at the 2.5gHz band but unfortunately 5gHz is no option.

What's up here?

edit:
Ohhhh and I have another question.. Is it possible to use an PCC189 tube or an 6H23N "Rocket logo" tube with this amp? I have those laying around. I heard they are similar to 6992 tubes and that those are just lower in volume that 12au7 tubes.
So would they fit? I'd love to tube roll and it temporarily gets rid of the wifi interference.

Definitely a bad tube. Do you have the wifi router, or your antenna receiver near the amp? Try moving them away, atleast some shielding had worked for you. What you are experiencing is called RFI, Radio Frequency Interference.

Nov 3, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #3,118 of 12,335

HE-400s are only 35 ohm headphones so a long way off from pairing well with the Crack's 120 ohm output impedance. Best to stick with a good <4ohm OI amp for those

Nov 3, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #3,120 of 12,335

Users who are viewing this thread

Back