Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Nov 21, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #886 of 12,335

Quote:
For travel - you might also consider an O2.  It is transportable by design, and I suspect it measures quite a bit better than the asgard and m-stage

I really wish people would stop assuming this sort of thing.

Nov 21, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #887 of 12,335
If I'm wrong, I'm happy to be corrected...  Have you seen numbers posted for either of those amps?  Various comments on the O2 designer's site (and elsewhere) led me to believe that those two amps probably weren't as accurate as one designed for the purpose of measuring well (particularly when the matrix is being forced to run in class A), but hey, I'm more than happy to consider any evidence to the contrary.

With respect to widespread generalizations concerning the O2, this is, in my mind, largely the unfortunate result of the ban on linking directly, or indirectly, or citing to specifics from the designer's site.  I can understand your frustration to that extent at least.

Edit: to the extent one can base a conclusion on the minimal specs published by the makers of the asgard and matrix, the O2 does, in fact, appear to measure better than either amp.  Caveat: the m-stage folks only provide THD at 300ohms (without specifying frequency), so you can't easily compare and contrast this with the more detailed THD measurements posted by the O2 designer (at 15 and 150 ohms, at various frequencies).  

Nov 21, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #888 of 12,335
I don't have a bone to pick either way, but I'm just so tired of the O2 getting hyped. I don't mind people offering it as a alternative choice, but to add on "and it probably measures better" is the part that irks me.

Nov 21, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #889 of 12,335
I'm more irked by all the marketing hype for commercial amps that, in this case at least, don't measure as well as a ultra affordable alternative. To each their own though.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Nov 21, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #890 of 12,335

Quote:
I'm more irked by all the marketing hype for commercial amps that, in this case at least, don't measure as well as a ultra affordable alternative. To each their own though.

Thankyou for enlightening us. Now, there's the door.

Nov 21, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #891 of 12,335

Quote:
Thankyou for enlightening us. Now, there's the door.

I'm not sure if you read the prior page or just lept into the fray, but for context, my post was a continuation of a discussion on the previous page, responding to a question from hughkk about purchasing a transportable amp to complement his anticipated BH Crack - which I (among others) highly recommended and discussed with him at some length in the hd650 thread.

I suggested looking at the O2 as a semi-portable simply because (i) I "suspect[ed]" it measured better than two other options he was considering - which it apparently does; and (ii) it is cheap.  If there's a reason you disagree with this suggestion - I'd be interested to hear it.  In any event, I don't want to derail this thread any further.  

I really appreciated your guidance in building my crack beefy, and I'm sorry my quip rubbed you the wrong way.  I didn't mean to stomp any toes - well aside from armaegis', just a little.  

Nov 22, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #892 of 12,335

Quote:

I'm not sure if you read the prior page or just lept into the fray, but for context, my post was a continuation of a discussion on the previous page, responding to a question from hughkk about purchasing a transportable amp to complement his anticipated BH Crack - which I (among others) highly recommended and discussed with him at some length in the hd650 thread.

I suggested looking at the O2 as a semi-portable simply because (i) I "suspect[ed]" it measured better than two other options he was considering - which it apparently does; and (ii) it is cheap.  If there's a reason you disagree with this suggestion - I'd be interested to hear it.  In any event, I don't want to derail this thread any further.  

I really appreciated your guidance in building my crack beefy, and I'm sorry my quip rubbed you the wrong way.  I didn't mean to stomp any toes - well aside from armaegis', just a little.  

Don't say "sorry" man, that's lame. You gave advice and your opinion, you didn't offend anyone and even if you did, it's your opinion, don't apoligize.

I don't know anything about electrical engineering and very little to nothing about audio but what I did notice during these first couple of months of browsing amps,headphones,sources,.. is that a lot of people aren't buying what they think sounds best, they are buying what other people are buying because it's supposed to be the best, earns you the most bragging rights and makes you feel special.

Apart from buying and building a CRACK, all I've done is browse amps/sources, you know, dream a little about what I'd get for when the upgrading day comes. When I read about the O2, my first reaction was to deny it and ignore it.. It simply isn't as special as any other amp that you can buy. I would rather have bought a schiit amp and DAC than look into the O2. Wonder what it must feel like when you actually own any of the gear that the O2 supposedly beats.

On topic: The hum is back .. what the hell.. my crack was dead silent for a couple of weeks, didn't use it for one week and now the hum is back. I swapped between my two 5998 and it's identical, I swapped back to my stock tube and the hum was superlow, it was still there, exactly the same but a lot more silent (to the point it isn't an issue anymore). I have noticed that volume is louder with the 5998 compared to the stock tubes. My gut tells me that the problem is actually the 12AU7 tube but that the hum is simply louder because volume in general is louder with the 5998, could this be correct?
Last time I had this problem (hum, volume independent), it was the 12AU7 tube.

Thx in advance

Nov 22, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #897 of 12,335

Quote:
On topic: The hum is back .. what the hell.. my crack was dead silent for a couple of weeks, didn't use it for one week and now the hum is back. I swapped between my two 5998 and it's identical, I swapped back to my stock tube and the hum was superlow, it was still there, exactly the same but a lot more silent (to the point it isn't an issue anymore). I have noticed that volume is louder with the 5998 compared to the stock tubes. My gut tells me that the problem is actually the 12AU7 tube but that the hum is simply louder because volume in general is louder with the 5998, could this be correct?
Last time I had this problem (hum, volume independent), it was the 12AU7 tube.

Thx in advance

What HPs are you using with the Crack?

Nov 22, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #899 of 12,335
Have you tried cleaning the pins on your 12AU7 tube?   Deoxit will do the trick.  Easy to do and might solve the problem.  Just a guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back