Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Nov 28, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #918 of 12,335

Quote:
and can anyone tell me what HP i should get to pair with my amp?
have HD650 in mind, but the veiled thing made me consider again

While the crack also sounds great with DT880's, my favorite pairing is with Sennheisers.  Unless you are contemplating picking up a pair of HD800's, HD650's or HD600's definitely get my vote.  There is nothing at all "veiled" about the way the 650's sound with the crack to my ears.  

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #919 of 12,335

Quote:

While the crack also sounds great with DT880's, my favorite pairing is with Sennheisers.  Unless you are contemplating picking up a pair of HD800's, HD650's or HD600's definitely get my vote.  There is nothing at all "veiled" about the way the 650's sound with the crack to my ears.  

thanks
then hd650 it is.

hope can save enough money to get it before easter

Nov 29, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #922 of 12,335
and i also want to ask, since i have no experience on soldering/diy before, would it be a better idea if i diy a cmoy before assmbling a bottlehead crack?
or makin crack as my first ever soldering diy project is good?

Nov 29, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #923 of 12,335

Quote:
and i also want to ask, since i have no experience on soldering/diy before, would it be a better idea if i diy a cmoy before assmbling a bottlehead crack?

It will not hurt, but I think it is not necessary - unless you want a cmoy as well.  There is a difference between soldering components on a printed circuit board (cmoy) and the point-to-point wiring of the Crack.  You can practice soldering easily enough by removing insulation from two pieces of wire, twisting them together, and flowing solder into them.

Nov 30, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #924 of 12,335

Quote:

The Crack was my first DIY project and I found it to be very straight forward it you follow the directions which are quite easy and can always ask for help on headfi or bottlehead's own website if you need it.  There is a certain satisfaction you get from building your own product that can not be emulated and often leads to a more intimate listening experience.  

So yes, makin crack as my first ever soldering diy project is good!

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Dec 1, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #925 of 12,335

Quote:
thank you
looking forward to it

Agree with Skeptic after listening last night - I'd go with HD650's.

DT880's sound nice and highs are more prominent (and they sound a bit faster and more air), but they don't sound as full or as well-integrated to me.  Very detailed and I might choose them for critical listening, but I find the HD650's more pleasant to listen to when just enjoying the music.  HD650 highs and details are still very much present and not lacking and I wouldn't call them slow - I just feel like everything is better blended.

But this difference and what is better is going to depend upon listener preference (if you like prominent highs, the most detail, fastest and most air), then you might prefer the DT880's.

Dec 2, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #926 of 12,335

Quote:
Agree with Skeptic after listening last night - I'd go with HD650's.

DT880's sound nice and highs are more prominent (and they sound a bit faster and more air), but they don't sound as full or as well-integrated to me.  Very detailed and I might choose them for critical listening, but I find the HD650's more pleasant to listen to when just enjoying he music.  HD650 highs and details are still very much present and not lacking and I wouldn't call them slow - I just feel like everything is better blended.

But this difference and what is better is going to depend upon listener preference (if you like prominent highs, the most detail, fastest and most air), then you might prefer the DT880's.

have u also heard from a HD600 too?

i think i am going with HD650 since I don't prefer lots of details

thanks

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #927 of 12,335

Quote:
have u also heard from a HD600 too?

i think i am going with HD650 since I don't prefer lots of details

thanks

No, would love to, but no opportunity yet.  Did you order the Speedball too?

I think you'll be very satisfied with HD650 and Crack/Speedball.  

Note, in my listening tests, I was using non-stock tubes.  I don't think that's going to affect anything by much, but FYI I was using a McIntosh branded RCA 12BH7 in place of the stock Electro Harmonix 12AU7 and a Tung Sol 5998 in place of the 6080 I was sent.  I think there is no one stock 6080 tube, as Bottlehead is shipping NOS of what they have (mine was a '72 Sylvania).

Keep your eyes open for gently used HD650's - can save a few bucks this way.  

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #928 of 12,335
i didn't order the speedball upgrade.
i was planning to get the hd650 before getting the speedball.
the only HP i have right now is SRH840, so i don't think it will sound very good in the crack

I am kind of scared that i will break some parts while making the amp, or soldering into the wrong place.
did u broke any parts in the amp when u are making it?
do they have spare-parts just in case?

Dec 2, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #929 of 12,335

Quote:
i didn't order the speedball upgrade.
i was planning to get the hd650 before getting the speedball.
the only HP i have right now is SRH840, so i don't think it will sound very good in the crack

I am kind of scared that i will break some parts while making the amp, or soldering into the wrong place.
did u broke any parts in the amp when u are making it?
do they have spare-parts just in case?

No, I didn't break any parts.  The kit doesn't come with any spares, except extra wire length.  

Of course I can't speak for them, but Bottlehead seems to be very good about replacing minor components (resistors, LED's, even the power switch I think I've read) that are accidentally damaged during the assembly process.  Of course if you somehow damage the transformer, that's probably a different story. . .

Dec 2, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #930 of 12,335

Quote:
DT880's sound nice and highs are more prominent (and they sound a bit faster and more air), but they don't sound as full or as well-integrated to me.  Very detailed and I might choose them for critical listening, but I find the HD650's more pleasant to listen to when just enjoying he music.  HD650 highs and details are still very much present and not lacking and I wouldn't call them slow - I just feel like everything is better blended.

Excellent description!  This is exactly how I perceive the differences between these two headphones as well.  But I've never been able to articulate it nearly as well as you just did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back