Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Oct 10, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #10,411 of 12,335
@carlman14 You really should get something better than those entry level headphones in your pic :)

Honestly, I logged on to post a pic of the stain job that I didnt horribly botch, and find myself humbled by what an amazing job you did. Everything from the tone board to the new sockets just looks fantastic. I tip my hat to you, sir.

Here is the new stain I put on the custom wood base that allows the KZK caps to fit:

Well done on the stain job!

Anyone knows how to stain the wood and make it look like chestnut (as in the pic below)?

I saw the beautiful samples in Home Depot, not sure if they use stain or paint to achieve the dark chestnut finish...

CN1242_4_RESIZED.jpg

Oct 10, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #10,412 of 12,335
@carlman14 You really should get something better than those entry level headphones in your pic :)

Honestly, I logged on to post a pic of the stain job that I didnt horribly botch, and find myself humbled by what an amazing job you did. Everything from the tone board to the new sockets just looks fantastic. I tip my hat to you, sir.

Here is the new stain I put on the custom wood base that allows the KZK caps to fit:
IMG_1104.jpg
What are those "cheap" headphones?? Looks better than mine.

Oct 10, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #10,413 of 12,335

Anyone knows how to stain the wood and make it look like chestnut (as in the pic below)?

I saw the beautiful samples in Home Depot, not sure if they use stain or paint to achieve the dark chestnut finish...

CN1242_4_RESIZED.jpg

You might be able to match the color, but the alder wood just doesn't have anywhere near the grain of that example in the picture. How a finished board looks depends as much or more on the type of wood as the stain you put on it.

Oct 12, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #10,414 of 12,335
I finally signed up for Tidal and I love it. What is the best way to stream Tidal to my BHC? I am currently using my iPad going USB into my Schitt Modi Multibit. Are there any products that can improve the sound over USB-C from my iPad?

Oct 12, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #10,415 of 12,335
I finally signed up for Tidal and I love it. What is the best way to stream Tidal to my BHC? I am currently using my iPad going USB into my Schitt Modi Multibit. Are there any products that can improve the sound over USB-C from my iPad?
Probably just enjoy where you are. That is good enough.
You could go for a dedicated streamer, even one without USB (i.e.; SPDIF>DAC>BHC). You will spend > the BHC cost most likely, however!

Oct 12, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #10,416 of 12,335
Probably just enjoy where you are. That is good enough.
You could go for a dedicated streamer, even one without USB (i.e.; SPDIF>DAC>BHC). You will spend > the BHC cost most likely, however!
Thanks. Do you think it is worth chasing MQA? I am getting mixed signals in what I am reading about it.

I listened to some MQA recordings on my iPhone with my DragonFly Red and it sounded great. I haven't done the A/B comparison, but from what I heard it seemed to make a noticeable difference in sound quality. Could be the placebo effect though, I'll admit.

Oct 12, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #10,417 of 12,335

Probably not a replacement in DAC capability to the Modi but the $99 new hiby R2 looks a interesting product with Tidal, MQA, WiFi & Bluetooth. Looks like potentially two ways to connect to a amp analogue out via trs to RCA adaptor from the R2 direct to Crack or usb digital out to Modi onto Crack. Hiby have a app so looks like you can use iPad or mobile to control remotely via WiFi that might make for a simple wire free streaming option with the ability to control volume as well if your amp was not within reach.

I'm guessing a bit here that when used as a portable device it uses your mobile phone signal to connect with tidal if out and about when your travelling.

https://darko.audio/2020/10/hibys-r2-puts-tidal-mqa-into-the-smallest-of-pockets-for-99/

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #10,418 of 12,335
Thanks. Do you think it is worth chasing MQA? I am getting mixed signals in what I am reading about it.
I listened to some MQA recordings on my iPhone with my DragonFly Red and it sounded great. I haven't done the A/B comparison, but from what I heard it seemed to make a noticeable difference in sound quality. Could be the placebo effect though, I'll admit.
MQA - no. IMO it is a digital copyright (and other things) scheme, not really a quality scheme. You might find this interesting.
I am on Roon w/ flac for my favourites, Tidal for breadth. A good streamer does make a difference, but you need a pretty beefy system before it makes a material difference.
Here is an old post on my streamer journey.
Headphones matter most - spend there if you are not already on ZMF :)!

Oct 13, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #10,420 of 12,335
I use Tidal/UAPP for MQA. If some of the music I'm listening isn't MQA then: I get dig parametric EQ, balance (amp doesn't have one, but my ears not even), crossfeed. It also seems in some cases w/ MQA I can still add the other features and lose bit-perfect, but still have some of the MQA increases in fidelity.

MQA is easy to hear on HEX v2, HE6se, HE-500, HD-600 - on Rag 1/Gumby 1. And for the HD-600 on BHC - this combo is of course seductive, liquid, etc. and anything that gets more definition into that mix w/o any spikiness (like say a DAC "upgrade" using SABRE chips) allows for even more enjoyment of the the 600/BHC combo.

BTW, my cost of MQA is: $200 for a used mint LG v40, $20 cable, $20/month for TIDAL MQA - and its level of fidelity is the same or better than my last analog rig (very high end).

BTW, I do not agree with many fans of the v40, the sound direct into my HEX v2 or HD-600 (set to high output) is too bright, and continually changes emphasis on treble details which is annoying).

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #10,421 of 12,335
My new box of tubes just arrived today. I've been listening all afternoon and the sound is glorious. I am listening with TS 5998 and CBS Hytron 5814a. The bass is amazing now with HD600s. Deep, clean and clear. Getting a nice halo effect with classical music. This is just so good. I am going to have to try this set up with some HD800S or 820s. I am guessing it will pair fine.

Oct 13, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #10,422 of 12,335
Probably not a replacement in DAC capability to the Modi but the $99 new hiby R2 looks a interesting product with Tidal, MQA, WiFi & Bluetooth. Looks like potentially two ways to connect to a amp analogue out via trs to RCA adaptor from the R2 direct to Crack or usb digital out to Modi onto Crack. Hiby have a app so looks like you can use iPad or mobile to control remotely via WiFi that might make for a simple wire free streaming option with the ability to control volume as well if your amp was not within reach.

I'm guessing a bit here that when used as a portable device it uses your mobile phone signal to connect with tidal if out and about when your travelling.

https://darko.audio/2020/10/hibys-r2-puts-tidal-mqa-into-the-smallest-of-pockets-for-99/

that does look interesting. I like that it supports 5G wifi. It's cheap so maybe worth a try. I could also try something similar with my Dragonfly Red since it does support MQA, but I think I may be chasing a unicorn that doesn't exist. I may be better off just upgrading my DAC from a Modi to a Bimby.

Oct 13, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #10,423 of 12,335
What's really weird is that the tubes cost more than my headphones and the tubes are 50 years old.

Oct 13, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #10,424 of 12,335
What's really weird is that the tubes cost more than my headphones and the tubes are 50 years old.
Bro, get that HD800. It pairs nicely with the BHC. I came from the HD650 and the HD800 is a monumental step up.

Oct 18, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #10,425 of 12,335

CN1242_4_RESIZED.jpg

You could try a similar method to how they make the grain stand out on guitar veneers. Stain the top, let it dry, sand back until only the grain is dark, stain again over the top.

With guitars you would tend to use dye instead of stain. black dye, sand back, do it again if required, then put the colour dye on top, let it dry then clear lacquer over the top, let it set for at least a couple of weeks then fine sand/rub for that piano gloss finish.

Or just buy dark walnut (real wood) veneer and glue it on. Veneer is cheaper in the US than Europe, especially walnut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back