Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Dec 23, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #9,826 of 12,335
Is it true that installing Speedball will increase voltage swing? Satisfying the hunger of our high impedence cans?
The Speedball will increase current delivery to the load at the output, which will increase available power. The stock circuit has a ton of voltage swing; that's rarely an issue.

Dec 25, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #9,828 of 12,335
I've an OTL I got a year ago, still unopened, never got around to assembling it. Does anyone know how much it costs to get it assembled?

If you can, I strongly recommend setting it up yourself.

I ended up buying a preassembled crack from another head Fier. After about 2 months, something shorted and it stopped powering in. Because I hadn’t assembled it I wasn’t confident enough to diagnose and repair it. Took 3 months for another guy to fix it for me.

During that 3 month period I actually got a kit from the cyber Monday sale, so I can build one myself in case this ever happens again. I’ll either sell it or use it as a computer amp.

Dec 25, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #9,829 of 12,335
Makes sense, I think over the time realized that I prefer portable and less bulky amps. I now use the AudioQuest Dragonfly (mostly), and JDSLabs ODAC/AMP. I want to try out the Bottle head crack but I've not gotten to it in a year. If I don't get to it in the next few days perhaps I may just list it for sale here :)

Dec 25, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #9,830 of 12,335

I ended up buying a preassembled crack from another head Fier. After about 2 months, something shorted and it stopped powering in. Because I hadn’t assembled it I wasn’t confident enough to diagnose and repair it. Took 3 months for another guy to fix it for me.

During that 3 month period I actually got a kit from the cyber Monday sale, so I can build one myself in case this ever happens again. I’ll either sell it or use it as a computer amp.

Makes sense, I think over the time realized that I prefer portable and less bulky amps. I now use the AudioQuest Dragonfly (mostly), and JDSLabs ODAC/AMP. I want to try out the Bottle head crack but I've not gotten to it in a year. If I don't get to it in the next few days perhaps I may just list it for sale here :)

Dec 27, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #9,832 of 12,335

I'm going to part with it, I don't think I'll ever get to it. :)

Dec 27, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #9,834 of 12,335
Dec 28, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #9,835 of 12,335
So I’ve been using a 6f8g to 12au7 adapter with no problems. Fun tube! However, I’ve been having a weird issue with the 6c8g tube variant. The 6c8g, which sounds great on my darkvoice, sounds muted on the crack, with distortion issues at the 9pm volume mark. Normally I’d blame the adapter, but it works fine with the 6f8g, as well as with 6c8g on the darkvoice. The 6c8g tubes I’ve been using all show this issue, then sound fine on the other amp.

any ideas?

Dec 29, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #9,836 of 12,335
The 6C8G is not a substitute for a 6F8G/12AU7.

Dec 29, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #9,837 of 12,335
Yes, I appreciate that. I think my question revolves more around seeing others use the 6C8G in the crack with speedball, as well as having them work well in the dark voice 336se. I was wondering what other people’s experience was, if they’d experienced something similar with the crack.

Dec 29, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #9,838 of 12,335
They aren't even close. They will not work without a major redesign of the circuit.

They might work a little better in the stock circuit if the LEDs were replaced with resistors, but you'd be moving backwards to use an inferior tube.

Jan 3, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #9,839 of 12,335
Completed the power cord kit. I did it just for a fun little DIY experience, figuring that would be it. Looks like I was wrong thinking power cables make no difference. I recommend adding this kit to your amp, its a winner.

Jan 3, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #9,840 of 12,335
Completed the power cord kit. I did it just for a fun little DIY experience, figuring that would be it. Looks like I was wrong thinking power cables make no difference. I recommend adding this kit to your amp, its a winner.

Awesome! How would you describe the difference?? I just completed my crack and was contemplating the power cord kit at some point...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back