Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Dec 8, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #9,811 of 12,345
Messing around with some tubes loaned to me for playing with so I figured I would get a shot in. Thanks @raindownthunda for allowing me the pleasure of hearing all these! super fun, and I can't wait to hear your experience with them once your Crack is completed!

A7302152_DxO.jpg

Dec 8, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #9,812 of 12,345
Messing around with some tubes loaned to me for playing with so I figured I would get a shot in. Thanks @raindownthunda for allowing me the pleasure of hearing all these! super fun, and I can't wait to hear your experience with them once your Crack is completed!

Cool shot man! What tubes are you using?

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #9,814 of 12,345
Dec 9, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #9,816 of 12,345
@Wes S

Sooo... I have on loan from @raindownthunda some of your favorite tubes....I'm impressed, they are quite excellent! Smooth/clean/detailed holographic... I've tried all the tubes at this stage...now to narrow it down to my favorite combos...but to be honest, I kind of like all of them...they all sounded great, just different flavors of great.
Amperex and Chatham
PSX_20191209_204056.jpg

Dec 10, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #9,817 of 12,345
@Wes S

Sooo... I have on loan from @raindownthunda some of your favorite tubes....I'm impressed, they are quite excellent! Smooth/clean/detailed holographic... I've tried all the tubes at this stage...now to narrow it down to my favorite combos...but to be honest, I kind of like all of them...they all sounded great, just different flavors of great.
Amperex and Chatham
Yes sir!

Dec 10, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #9,818 of 12,345
Hey Darth!! My musical buddy!! :>)

I have the pretty much the exact same set of tubes in my Crack.

I have a bunch of Bugle Boy variants and 5963, JAN and others...

The Chatham tube is great....I also love the RCA 6AS7G's....those old NOS coke bottles are really neat to look at!!

Nostalgic!

Alex

Oh, I notice you have a "tall" device near it? Wireless router? Wonder if you get any interference from it?

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #9,819 of 12,345
Hey Darth!! My musical buddy!! :>)

I have the pretty much the exact same set of tubes in my Crack.

I have a bunch of Bugle Boy variants and 5963, JAN and others...

The Chatham tube is great....I also love the RCA 6AS7G's....those old NOS coke bottles are really neat to look at!!

Nostalgic!

Alex

Oh, I notice you have a "tall" device near it? Wireless router? Wonder if you get any interference from it?
Hey! That device is my MacMini 2018, so far no interference....I usually keep my tube amps on my audio shelf, but it is on the opposite wall, so I moved the BHC to the desk for easier access for playing with it.

Dec 14, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #9,820 of 12,345
@Wes S

Amperex and Chatham
Dig the all-black paint job. That's what I'm probably going for with my build whenever it happens.

Dec 14, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #9,821 of 12,345
Dig the all-black paint job. That's what I'm probably going for with my build whenever it happens.
It’s a fun build! I kind of want to build another one or maybe a S.E.X. Next...also, the fun thing is you can build multiple bottom cases if you get bored with your first one =) I believe @raindownthunda is building a Crack now...hopefully he takes lots of pictures documenting it and shares his experience! I think his will turn out pretty dope looking!

Dec 20, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #9,822 of 12,345
So I’m super excited, as I finally replaced the piece of my crack I needed to, and it works again!

Since it took me so long, I’ve been using my darkvoice 336se in the interim, and it’s very interesting which tubes work better with different amps. The 6c8g works gangbusters with the darkvoice, but isn’t a good pairing with the crack, sounding muted and veiled, but the 6f8g sounds great on the crack.

I’ll do some more experimenting, since I enjoy tube variants quite a bit!

Dec 22, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #9,824 of 12,345
@Wes S

Amperex and Chatham
That's the best 12au7 for the Crack. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back