Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Dec 30, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #6,376 of 12,335
  I got it from a HeadfIier. Originally it was for his TS 5998 but he said it had a hairline crack and offered me the 2399. My setup is 
SB Crack > Halide DAC HD > T90. This setup gives me the analog (warm rich) sound I like with the correct tubes.

Very awesome. Does having a DAC dramatically give you a difference in sound? I'm still debating whether I should get one or just save my money for a new pair of headphones. I'm into getting a better soundstage so if a DAC can do that I might invest in one. How do the T90's sound in compared to HD 650's?

Dec 30, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #6,377 of 12,335
Total noobie here as just got Crack + SB build this week. First time tube amp user. Can someone please orient me the two tubes (large and small)? What does each do and where can I learn more about pros/cons of different tubes for rolling?

Paired with hd600

Here you are see link below for Nick Tams superb Multi 6080/6as7g review

All you need to know about the top tier driver tube choices. A word of caution before you embark on a spending spree consider that the top tubes require a fairly decent set up to hear what they are capable of its really not much point spending big buck and listening with budget cans as they will probably not be resolving enough to benefit from the full effects of rolling such tubes. Especially if your Crack is stock (see the test set up at the bottom of the link)

There are also some great budget alternatives that will get you close for a fraction of the price like the GEC and Mullard 6080  Dont discount the Russian tubes like the Svetlana  6H13C (Winged C) which can be readily found new for under $10 and are every bit as good as the RCA and Sylvania 6as7g equivalents.

http://the-key.enix.org/~krystal/review-tube-bottlehead.html

Lots of info in the Crack tube rolling thread on the Bottlehead forum

Post what cans  you use and type of music you mostly listen to and you will quickly have a few replies with different options suggested which you can research further at places like tubemaze  just type in the tube type in the search box and you will most likely find a short review or two.

http://www.tubemaze.info/

Have fun

Dec 30, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #6,378 of 12,335
I try not to think of tube rolling, cap rolling (or even dac shopping) as a linear upgrade process.  Rather, there are tons and tons of options and combos out there that can impact the sound, in subtle or not so subtle ways, which will be more or less pleasing depending on your personal preferences and your particular headphones.  Experimenting with different options is the fun part.  It isn't about getting to an end point.  Far better to have a number of tubes you enjoy and can swap in and out when you feel like a breath of fresh air.  

Dec 30, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #6,379 of 12,335

Very awesome. Does having a DAC dramatically give you a difference in sound? I'm still debating whether I should get one or just save my money for a new pair of headphones. I'm into getting a better soundstage so if a DAC can do that I might invest in one. How do the T90's sound in compared to HD 650's?

I think it depends on your source. My headphone listening is with my desktop through JRiver Media Center so the DAC makes a huge difference.
I owned a HD650 years ago and used a Burson amp and liked it too. I love the T90 with the Crack. I cannot comment the difference with the 650 as I have not heard it with the Crack. But judging from all reviews it must be great. I am sure there others who may have both and can chime in.

Dec 31, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #6,380 of 12,335

Here you are see link below for Nick Tams superb Multi 6080/6as7g review

All you need to know about the top tier driver tube choices. A word of caution before you embark on a spending spree consider that the top tubes require a fairly decent set up to hear what they are capable of its really not much point spending big buck and listening with budget cans as they will probably not be resolving enough to benefit from the full effects of rolling such tubes. Especially if your Crack is stock (see the test set up at the bottom of the link)

There are also some great budget alternatives that will get you close for a fraction of the price like the GEC and Mullard 6080  Dont discount the Russian tubes like the Svetlana  6H13C (Winged C) which can be readily found new for under $10 and are every bit as good as the RCA and Sylvania 6as7g equivalents.

http://the-key.enix.org/~krystal/review-tube-bottlehead.html

Lots of info in the Crack tube rolling thread on the Bottlehead forum

Post what cans  you use and type of music you mostly listen to and you will quickly have a few replies with different options suggested which you can research further at places like tubemaze  just type in the tube type in the search box and you will most likely find a short review or two.

http://www.tubemaze.info/

Have fun

What a helpful post- thank you very much, Jamie. I had no idea what a wild world is tubeland. My setup is Crack+SB with HD600. No more mods beyond that.

Definitely not up to go spend a ton of dough on the rarest tubes so would stick with the budget tier models, for now at least. 

Dec 31, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #6,381 of 12,335
  I try not to think of tube rolling, cap rolling (or even dac shopping) as a linear upgrade process.  Rather, there are tons and tons of options and combos out there that can impact the sound, in subtle or not so subtle ways, which will be more or less pleasing depending on your personal preferences and your particular headphones.  Experimenting with different options is the fun part.  It isn't about getting to an end point.  Far better to have a number of tubes you enjoy and can swap in and out when you feel like a breath of fresh air.  

Absolutely understand what you mean. I'll take the slow road to nirvana and enjoy the ride with plenty of views along the way. Thank you for the good advice.

Dec 31, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #6,382 of 12,335
  Absolutely understand what you mean. I'll take the slow road to nirvana and enjoy the ride with plenty of views along the way. Thank you for the good advice.

Have you built the Crack + Speedball? It was such a fun project to make. I hope you enjoy the process as much as I did. 

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #6,386 of 12,335
  HNY!  1/15 means my Crack is 3.  Works the same as day one! 

Well happy early b-day to your Crack 
beyersmile.png
 Nice photo btw. I'll have to upload mine as well. How are the Tung-Sol 12au7's working for you?

Jan 2, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #6,389 of 12,335

Well happy early b-day to your Crack 
beyersmile.png
 Nice photo btw. I'll have to upload mine as well. How are the Tung-Sol 12au7's working for you?

Of all the new stock Russian 12AU7's, that Tung Sol 6189 is the best one to my ear.  I tried the Electro Harmonix (a little flat), JJ (too hot, peaky treble), and finally the Tung Sol.  For Hard rock, and Metal, the 6189 is an excellent tube, clean and deep extended bass. The other bonus to that tube (if you like it overall) is that it's brand new, zero microphonics, no hum or buzz.  So you can flick on the amp for 10 minutes, and not really worry about cycling your vintage tubes too much. They make more.   It pairs well with anything in the octal socket,  My stock JAN 6080, or an RCA  6as7ga, or a Russian Svetlana all sound great.  The Russian tubes together just about convert the Crack to a Marshall stack for metal. Fun stuff.  

Jan 2, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #6,390 of 12,335
Oh crap... Missed the deal for these pair:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Tung-Sol-12AU7-12AU7A-ECC82-Vacuum-Tubes-Very-Strong-/321609528392?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4ae16bf448&rmvSB=true&nma=true&si=dUjiHdRDBeloa%252BQ0zXgDQGEZTlQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Any similar deal? I couldn't find one. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back