Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Dec 24, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #6,346 of 12,346

Umm, It doesn't matter which way the bands are on a resistor.
Resistors do not have polarity

Thanks, sorry for the wrong information. I was just trying to emphasize the importance of having the bands on the right side for some parts because I had to redo some of them during my project.

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #6,348 of 12,346
I'm looking to upgrade my input tube to a Mullard ECC82/12AU7. I found one on the Tube Store for a good price but was wondering if the re-issue is identical to the original? Thanks!

Dec 27, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #6,350 of 12,346

I just put together my Crack/Speedball recently so I know which tools you're going to need and some tips for the process.

You're going to need a couple of tools...

Solder
Solder Wire
Solder Tip Cleaner
Very small pointed pliers (the smaller the better to get those wires wrapped around those terminals easier)
Very small wire clippers (to cut wires and to remove excess wire after soldering, the smaller the better)
Wire stripper
Solder sucker (you're going to need it if you haven't soldered before)
Screw driver for small screws
Helping hands (to hold Speedball PC boards while you solder in the parts)

Important: After you're done assembling it you're definitely going to need a voltmeter to make sure all the connections are good.

Also, make sure you have all the bands for your resistors, rectifiers, etc. pointed towards the proper side or it won't run properly!

I would suggest practicing soldering a few times before applying it on the Crack. Just take your time, follow the directions to a T,                      and you should be good. 

Good luck with your build and all the best Kyno!

Thanks a lot for the input!

It's nice considering I had most of that list from the Crack manual, but I'll be careful to go with the smallest pliers available, and also get Tip cleaners, I hadn't thought about it.

I was just wondering about one thing: either to get Desoldering Braid or a Desoldering pump, or both?

Dec 27, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #6,351 of 12,346
Dec 27, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #6,352 of 12,346

It's nice considering I had most of that list from the Crack manual, but I'll be careful to go with the smallest pliers available, and also get Tip cleaners, I hadn't thought about it.

I was just wondering about one thing: either to get Desoldering Braid or a Desoldering pump, or both?

Never tried the desoldering braid. The desoldering pump was a bit hard to use especially if you need to go back and fix some soldering joints later when everything starts getting crammed. It would seem that the desoldering braid would be more user-friendly. I would try both and see which one works better for you. 

Dec 28, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #6,356 of 12,346

Never tried the desoldering braid. The desoldering pump was a bit hard to use especially if you need to go back and fix some soldering joints later when everything starts getting crammed. It would seem that the desoldering braid would be more user-friendly. I would try both and see which one works better for you. 

Solder sucker/Pump works best on PCB's but for larger solders like the CRACK kit solder wick/braid works best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back