Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Dec 14, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #6,321 of 12,347
Sounds like the tube is resonating for some reason, possibly loose construction in the tube. Did you say that you can hear it in the audio? This will sound weird, but I've had luck turning my WA3 on its side and let the tube get good and hot, then rap it with the eraser end of a pencil and sometimes they stop whining. Then turn it off and let it cool sideways. It's a last resort, and some will say crazy, but I've silenced a number of tubes this way.....I've also killed one. The tube might arc when you hit it, so use a pair of cheesy headphones and not your good ones.

I already use both forums for it. Never know in which forum some great info jumps out. 

Dec 15, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #6,322 of 12,347
Sounds like the tube is resonating for some reason, possibly loose construction in the tube. Did you say that you can hear it in the audio? This will sound weird, but I've had luck turning my WA3 on its side and let the tube get good and hot, then rap it with the eraser end of a pencil and sometimes they stop whining. Then turn it off and let it cool sideways. It's a last resort, and some will say crazy, but I've silenced a number of tubes this way.....I've also killed one. The tube might arc when you hit it, so use a pair of cheesy headphones and not your good ones.

But if both tubes were quiet before and now both tubes have the same noise, then it can't be the tube?

Dec 15, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #6,323 of 12,347
How many 5998 make the noise? I thought your 6AS7 was quiet.....

Dec 15, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #6,324 of 12,347
How many 5998 make the noise? I thought your 6AS7 was quiet.....

I thought it was quiet too, but yesterday after 1 hour of listening the noise came in. It is lower frequency than with 5998, but it is still there, and it goes quiet when tapped like with the 5998. Previously both tubes were perfectly silent. Less than a month ago that noise appeared for the first time. But if both tubes react the same, then the tube(s) should not be the cause. That squeal does not get louder with volume. I change out electrolytic caps today and see if anything changes. 

Dec 15, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #6,325 of 12,347
I have piles of bad tubes...they are very old, and many are just not up to the task of high quality audio. You might just have 2 bad tubes. It is also possible something else is wrong....but it used to work, so I suspect the tubes is it.

I thought it was quiet too, but yesterday after 1 hour of listening the noise came in. It is lower frequency than with 5998, but it is still there, and it goes quiet when tapped like with the 5998. Previously both tubes were perfectly silent. Less than a month ago that noise appeared for the first time. But if both tubes react the same, then the tube(s) should not be the cause. That squeal does not get louder with volume. I change out electrolytic caps today and see if anything changes. 

Dec 15, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #6,326 of 12,347
^Agree with GT's assessment.  I have had several power tubes do this as well - one of which was actually a very quiet tube until I fumbled it on to my hard wood floor, resulting in the hum and some loose glass in the base.  As far as short term fixes - I've had success wrapping a long thick rubber band around the base of the humming tube and then tipping it slightly in the socket at various angles until the tube runs quiet.  Real tube dampers would probably do the trick as well.   

Dec 18, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #6,330 of 12,347
Hello to all Crackheads,

I started to read this thread 2 months ago.
After the first 20 pages or so I pulled the trigger and ordered one. 
In the meantime I worked through the whole thread. Thanks to all for sharing their experiences.
Crack is on the way - I will post pics and impressions as soon as the fun begins.
Until now I had an Audinst HUD-MX2 as entry into my headphone experience. It was a neat all-in-one box. But the DAC-section for itself is average. Having that said and some unxepected money at hand I would like to upgrade the DAC for my Crack-experience.
As I want to tailor the Crack for my ears the DAC should be in place before doing any mods.
After intense research (the range of DACs today seems endless) I have an Audio-GD Reference 5.32 in focus.
Has anybody of you paired or listened to a Crack with an Audio-GD with PCM1704 chipset?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back