Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Dec 29, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #6,362 of 12,335
No matter how I try, I can never get solder wick / braid to work properly :frowning2:

It is very simple adjust the heat of your iron(higher) or Tin the tip of your iron then put the wick on the spot you would like to unsolder put your tinned iron tip over the wick wait a few seconds until the solder start to melt then pull the wick gently without moving  your iron.If you moved the iron chances are the solder will not sipped through the wick.

Dec 30, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #6,371 of 12,335
That's funny, I just ordered a Tung Sol 5998 instead of the Chatham 6AS7G. If you don't mind asking, where did you find the Chatham 2399? 

James

Dec 30, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #6,372 of 12,335
Total noobie here as just got Crack + SB build this week. First time tube amp user. Can someone please orient me the two tubes (large and small)? What does each do and where can I learn more about pros/cons of different tubes for rolling?

Paired with hd600

Dec 30, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #6,374 of 12,335
Total noobie here as just got Crack + SB build this week. First time tube amp user. Can someone please orient me the two tubes (large and small)? What does each do and where can I learn more about pros/cons of different tubes for rolling?

Paired with hd600

From what I've digested over the last couple of days searching for new tubes, each tube can offer different qualities in sound. There are a few output tubes (the bigger tube) that are already established as sounding really nice with the Crack. The best ones being the WE 421A and GEC 6AS7G, but those will run you over $200 each. A few of the input tubes (smaller tube) that are recommended are Mullard CV4003, Valvo 12au7, and CBS Hytron 5814a just to name a few. Those will range between $20 to $100. Also, some tubes sound really good together and some don't. The two tubes that are reasonably priced are Tung Sol 5998 (2nd best Output tube) and CBS Hytron 5814a (very good quality for its price) that I just recently ordered. I'm still awaiting on how it sounds. Now, I'm not expert in the vacuum tube rolling game so I cannot tell you how any of these sound, just what I've researched on to be the most popular combos. I realized tube rolling is a subjective experience so it will depend on your tastes as well and can only be determined by hearing it for yourself. Hope this helped!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back