Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Sep 14, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #5,971 of 12,347
  Anyone have issues with the RCA 6AS7G background noise? Mine sounds like a quiet power line. Does it go away with burn in usually? Not a big issue but it is noticeable when I first put the headphone on.

Your Crack should be totally silent having had several issues with noise in the past they have all been due to outside influences and it took several weeks to dial them all out . The most frustrating was during the winter I and had a electric oil filled radiator in another room, in the evenings as the thermostat tripped it on it caused interference while heating up then 15-20mins later would trip off and all would be fine it drove me nuts till I figured it out. 

I do have a couple of tubes that have a slight noise that can only be heard in the quiet gaps between songs and sometimes that is down to the pairing of the 12au7 not the driver tube. The Speedball upgrade I thought made a noticeable difference to perceived 12au7 noise. Tubes that I had run without it that where very quiet all of a sudden had noticeable noise. So it takes a little fine tuning if you hunt about there are a some posts on this on the bhf

Sep 14, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #5,972 of 12,347
Had the electric noise from the RCA 6AS7G with both an RCA cleartop and Amperex Bugle Boy 12AU7s. The Bugle Boy has a buzz in the right ear so I'm returning it. It seems that the JAN version has less issues with microphonics. Don't know if vacuumtubes.net has any Chantham 6AS7Gs either.

And my Crack is completely silent with the stock Raytheon 6080WA, so it must be the RCA 6AS7G.

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #5,973 of 12,347
I had some background hum/noise with my RCA 6AS7G - it cleared up after a dozen or so hours.

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #5,975 of 12,347
I have the JAN version.

Sep 15, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #5,976 of 12,347
  @Barry S: That is a very clean build. I like the way you cleaned up around the nine-pin for the Speedball install. After seeing your build, I am seriously considering buying another Crack just so that I can get the wiring that clean. Currently I will really struggle to install the Speedball in my Crack.

Thanks. I assembled the Speedball and read through the installation instructions before I started working on the Crack. Maybe you can redo some of your wiring to help with the Speedball install. I can't imagine you'd have to do that much to make it go in smoothly.

Sep 15, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #5,977 of 12,347
Buzz can sometimes be cured by sanding or deoxidizing the pins. Doc shared this wisdom with me a couple of years back and saved me from binning a nice 1950s rca 12BH7.

Sep 16, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #5,978 of 12,347

Thanks. I assembled the Speedball and read through the installation instructions before I started working on the Crack. Maybe you can redo some of your wiring to help with the Speedball install. I can't imagine you'd have to do that much to make it go in smoothly.

Yes, I like the planning that you put into this. I built mine exactly as per the manual, and if there is one weak spot in the manual I would say that the routing of cables and the two caps on the terminal, could have been done differently to make upgrading to Speedball easier.

Since it was my first build, I managed to nick some cables and capacitors with the soldering iron and being the perfectionist that I am, it bugs me. Would be nice to have a fresh attempt at another one and get everything really perfect. However, I can just replace the offending wires, and I am planning on upgrading some caps as well, so I might just go that route. Only problem I foresee is that I made sure I had excellent mechanical connections before soldering, and desoldering and removing those can get tricky.

Shouldn't complain though, the Crack sounds excellent, I have no hum, no noise and no channel imbalance. I really struggle to see how the Speedball upgrade can make this amp sound better. I have not heard a lot of headphone amps, but to me it is the best I heard by far.

Sep 16, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #5,979 of 12,347
i am in the middle of bulding a crack and i have 2 questions.

in the crack guide page 19

what should i do the the revision or what in above? its written that revision will give me more quiet opreation is it true?

the second thing that my little tube (12au7) is look like she is burned. on side has nothing and other side have blck grey thing with leak down that look like its burned

pics

vids

http://tinypic.com/r/ddl5xf/8

http://tinypic.com/r/312ehau/8

thnx for help!

Sep 16, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #5,980 of 12,347
I wired mine to 14U as the revision stated quieter operation. I did not want to desolder and I know that 14U can get crowded. Depending on how you decide to do this, you might need to use 14U from the beginning as desoldering there can be a pain.

W.r.t. the 12AU7, mine also looks a little burned on top. I have no issues with the tube.

Sep 16, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #5,981 of 12,347
Moving the wire is simply an option. It really makes no difference, it just makes the grounding for that point follow our grounding phlosophy a little more closely. It is theoretically better but I doubt you could measure or hear a difference.

The silver flashing you see in the top of the tube is the getter. It is supposed to be there.

Don't worry, be happy.

Sep 17, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #5,982 of 12,347
i am in the middle of bulding a crack and i have 2 questions.

in the crack guide page 19

what should i do the the revision or what in above? its written that revision will give me more quiet opreation is it true?

the second thing that my little tube (12au7) is look like she is burned. on side has nothing and other side have blck grey thing with leak down that look like its burned

pics

vids

http://tinypic.com/r/ddl5xf/8

http://tinypic.com/r/312ehau/8

thnx for help!
I would say don't do the revision. That post gets really crowded with that extra wire in there.

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #5,983 of 12,347
Has anyone here tried to use the Crack as a preamp? I know the possibility has been mentioned here, as well as over at Bottlehead. Perhaps it'd be great with low impedance headphones, like Hifimans, with a small power amp in between?

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #5,984 of 12,347
I don't think it would work very well, with the output impedence as high as it is. Better off getting the BeePre or similar, if that's what you need. 

Sep 18, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #5,985 of 12,347
  I don't think it would work very well, with the output impedence as high as it is. Better off getting the BeePre or similar, if that's what you need. 

???? The output impedance of Crack is exceptionally low for a tube output line level device. In fact it is lower than any of our purpose made preamps. The circuit works fine as a preamp except for the lack of selectable inputs and the fact that it has an RCA jack at the output. In fact the topology is somewhat similar to our old Foreplay preamp. I do think the Smash works better as a preamp for the same kind of money. And of course there is also the possibility of using the S.E.X. amp for both low and high impedance headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back