Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Aug 22, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #5,836 of 12,335

Ditto that if finances permit!  Plus, a couple of years down the road, it is just incredibly gratifying to get to share this hobby and your self built amp(s) with your little one(s).  If I fire up the mainline and hand over my hd800's, my 4 year old will sit quietly and soak in the tunes for a good 15-20 minutes before I can pry them away from her.  My wife indulges, but can't relate to, my love of hifi headphones, but my kid clearly gets it and is thrilled by any opportunity to listen to the main rig.

+1

Mine as well, though as my rig is in the bed room any initial quiet listening often evolves into bouncing and dancing on the bed whilst wearing them while I nervously cosset the cable amp end, luckily its a long cable. But a joy to watch.

Aug 22, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #5,838 of 12,335
+1

Actually, the last meet I was at I compared my 650/crack against someone else's balanced 650 and Mjolnir combo and liked the Crack more. Saved me from getting the upgrade itch with the 650's :)

Aug 22, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #5,839 of 12,335
Thanks for the kind words, guys. I might be back in the game somewhere down the line but my listening den has bitten the dust and there's nowhere else I feel I can store my gear safely or without getting my ear bent about it! I'll be back. Thanks for all the help, support and discussion over the last year or so. Keep up the good fight!

Aug 22, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #5,840 of 12,335
Well who may this be?

Look who joined the party.

And nicely asked for his place in the socket of fame.

Loving the new member of the family.

Aug 22, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #5,841 of 12,335
+1

Actually, the last meet I was at I compared my 650/crack against someone else's balanced 650 and Mjolnir combo and liked the Crack more. Saved me from getting the upgrade itch with the 650's :)

I was actually considering a Mjolnir to use balanced as a solid state setup to use along with my Crack, for a different kind of sound. However I do love my Crack, and was wondering if I would like the Mjolnir too.

Aug 22, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #5,842 of 12,335
The Mjolnir/650 sounded great, but I remember thinking "this just doesn't quite have that rich, full bodied tone that the Crack does"

It was a while ago so my memories of the comparison are fading a bit, but from what I remember the Mjolnir outdid the Crack in terms of punch, speed, and had slightly more clarity (only a bit). And the Crack had a more robust, smooth, full-bodied sound.

I think you would definitely like the Mjolnir, it's a great SS amp.

Aug 22, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #5,846 of 12,335
We are happy to send a link to those who have purchased a kit from us and need a copy of the manual. Contact Eileen at queen at bottlehead dot com and she will take care of you. 

Aug 23, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #5,847 of 12,335
Any recommendations to reputable head-fi'ers who can assemble the crack + speedball for me? Can they also paint it another color?

Aug 24, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #5,848 of 12,335
  Any recommendations to reputable head-fi'ers who can assemble the crack + speedball for me? Can they also paint it another color?

Do you have the kit already? Bottlehead have the contact details for a recommended builder on their site (a reference to an external person, not an in-house service) so that might be an option

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #5,850 of 12,335
  Given the number of Cracks that went on the recent MD promotion I am surprised there have not been a few more new posts here.

Well, I have been enjoying mine...
happy_face1.gif

It was a lot easier building the Crack than I anticipated, and it is very, very good with my 250 Ohm version of the DT 770s.

http://i.imgur.com/NofKLkn.jpg[/IMG]]http://

Trying to link to imgur for the picture, but as can be seen it is not working. Anybody know how to solve this? Link Type is URL and protocol is http://

Users who are viewing this thread

Back