Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jul 9, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #5,476 of 12,347

Yes. That's how I do it. I found the best option was the bit that has a cylindrical section at the tip with cutting edges at the end and on the sides. Not sure the correct terminology for it, but I think it's designed for carving / reaming.

Thanks, will these get the job done? http://www.amazon.com/pieces-Tungsten-Carbide-Single-Rotary/dp/B00C9BI1CM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404956283&sr=8-1&keywords=tungsten+carbide+dremel

Jul 9, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #5,477 of 12,347
61WQdXOv4QL._SL1500_.jpg
Spot on. The right hand end ones are the ones I was talking about. I'm not sure if they are strictly the best option, but they seemed to do the best of all the options I had and made short work of enlarging the Crack's stock volume pot hole.

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #5,478 of 12,347
I just feel like chiming in for those considering doing dremel work. Spend the extra coin on decent bits. The cheap bargain bin ones that come 40 to a set will only cause you grief and mess up your project.

Jul 10, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #5,479 of 12,347
I'm proud to be a Bottlehead fan
biggrin.gif

The new DHT SMASH preamp sounded really awesome with the S.E.X and the Crack, now my Quickie is collecting dust on the shelf
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #5,480 of 12,347
  I'm proud to be a Bottlehead fan
biggrin.gif

+1.  My HD600 + Crack have left me with no desire to upgrade my open-backed setup in the near future.

P.S. I love my Orca's, how do you like yours?

Jul 10, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #5,481 of 12,347
  The new DHT SMASH preamp sounded really awesome with the S.E.X and the Crack, now my Quickie is collecting dust on the shelf
smily_headphones1.gif

Very interested in the SMASH. I'm not familiar with the 4P1L tubes it uses.

When you use the SMASH to drive the S.E.X. (um, that sounds a little weird...), do you just set the volume control on the S.E.X. to max?

I too own the Blumenstein Orcas. Amazing what comes out of those little boxes! Looks like you also have the sub -- like it?

Jul 10, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #5,482 of 12,347
More Bottlehead goodness.  Quickie and Crack combo, just put Alps POTS in both.  It especially works well in the Quickie, it had real imbalance issues:

I feel like I won the lottery getting a white top for the Quicke,  Thanks to MattTCG for fabricating the box for the Quicke, it's too nice sitting next to my all Black Crack.

RonO

Jul 10, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #5,484 of 12,347
I just double checked my order for this attenuator and email the seller if this is MONO or STEREO.
The product description is (please see below)Thanks!
I hope this is a real STEREO.

Assembled DALE 23 Step Attenuator
             1pc Dual 100KKnurled Shaft
                 Airproof Rotary Band Switch, Silver Coated Contact 
                   Assembled all Resistors are Genuine brand DALE                   
                             Shaft Length 25mm, Diameter 6mm   
               23 Step Volume Attenuator, Dual-unit for Stereo Audio 

Jul 10, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #5,485 of 12,347
  I just double checked my order for this attenuator and email the seller if this is MONO or STEREO.

It DOES say it's the right thing, but just looks so different. I don't think it can hurt to try it - if it's wrong, things will just sound weird I believe. I'd contact the seller to confirm in writing that it's stereo and then hook it up and see. If it's not you can ask for a replacement with his confirmation as proof that you were supplied the wrong thing and tried to check before soldering.

Ideally, you could maybe use some alligator clips or some temporary method to hook it up for testing so there's no sign of soldering if you have to return it.

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #5,487 of 12,347

It DOES say it's the right thing, but just looks so different. I don't think it can hurt to try it - if it's wrong, things will just sound weird I believe. I'd contact the seller to confirm in writing that it's stereo and then hook it up and see. If it's not you can ask for a replacement with his confirmation as proof that you were supplied the wrong thing and tried to check before soldering.

Ideally, you could maybe use some alligator clips or some temporary method to hook it up for testing so there's no sign of soldering if you have to return it.

I don't have my Crack yet i'am still waiting for shipping i guess  have to wait and see if it's a Dual Stereo.Thanks!

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #5,489 of 12,347
 Ok i've got a reply from the attenuator seller he confirmed that the attenuator he send me is a DUAL STEREO(Resistors are connected in series for stereo mode)according to him MONO mode usually connected in parallel which is he does not sell.Is this make sense? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back