Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Mar 9, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #4,156 of 12,335
I was able to achieve the effect with thin layers and some light sanding.

Get some krylon hammered effect spray paint. Do about 3 thin layers and then sand lightly, then 3 thin layers and sand even lighter, and then a final 3 think layers. Takes a while but the effect can be achieved with the investment of time and hammered effect spray paint.

Mar 9, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #4,157 of 12,335
I was able to achieve the effect with thin layers and some light sanding.

Get some krylon hammered effect spray paint. Do about 3 thin layers and then sand lightly, then 3 thin layers and sand even lighter, and then a final 3 think layers. Takes a while but the effect can be achieved with the investment of time and hammered effect spray paint.

Great tips there!

Mar 9, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #4,158 of 12,335
When I sprayed the clear coat on my crack I made a vented hot box out of a old cardboard box to put the crack in to speed up the process, I attached the crack to small board so once I had shot a coat of clear I could pick the board up and transfer the Crack to the hot box @ 45-50 degree C, every 10 mins or so take it out and bang on another coat you can get a good build up very quickly without issues or sanding between coats.

I use this method a fair bit. Also have had some good results with wet on wet colour then clear.

Mar 9, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #4,159 of 12,335
I built this amp the other day I'm blown away,   I've never heard my old hd600 sound this good EVER, I was very sceptical and read about this little amp for years so I treated myself  and so happy i did...This is the only headphone product I've ever bought that I can honestly say was totally worth it....Much higher than my expectations.... My  headphones sound superb now totally amazed me. It makes me jumpy around and dance! Such a good sound.
I know about hyped stuff but this amp deserves total praise and the price is just unreal.
I've only got the standard crack and just changed the rca sockets but I  ordered the speedball yesterday.
I'm only using it with a computers creative Zxr soundcard with different opamps, I'm playing music from different artists I would never play and songs I don't even like and everything sounds amazing!
brilliant amp 

Mar 9, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #4,160 of 12,335
  I built this amp the other day I'm blown away,   I've never heard my old hd600 sound this good EVER, I was very sceptical and read about this little amp for years so I treated myself  and so happy i did...This is the only headphone product I've ever bought that I can honestly say was totally worth it....Much higher than my expectations.... My  headphones sound superb now totally amazed me. It makes me jumpy around and dance! Such a good sound.
I know about hyped stuff but this amp deserves total praise and the price is just unreal.
I've only got the standard crack and just changed the rca sockets but I  ordered the speedball yesterday.
I'm only using it with a computers creative Zxr soundcard with different opamps, I'm playing music from different artists I would never play and songs I don't even like and everything sounds amazing!
brilliant amp 

Congratulations it only gets better with the Speedball.

Mar 9, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #4,161 of 12,335
Thanks Jamie :)  I'm a  bit worried with the sound change with the speedball upgrade lo...  I think it sounds brill as is!  I can always put it back to stock ,  not read many ppl doing that so must be good :)

Loads of reading to do :)

Mar 9, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #4,162 of 12,335
^^ Don't worry, I thought the same thing. I started with stock and liked it so much that I didn't want to mess with it. Trust me...you'll like the SB even better. It's the most significant improvement to the stock crack IMO.

Mar 9, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #4,163 of 12,335
Cheers Matt ..I can't wait now ..

Can't believe how much its  changed the sound of my old HD600s , I was going to buy new headphones but wont be doing that now.

I have the really old HD600 with black drivers,    I stayed up till 3:00 am last night rocking lo.   Any type of music I play sounds ace..... Rock sounds fantastic and my italo. disco :p

I'm going to look at upgrading the caps soon... I went stupid today on ebay and  paid £80  for a CV491 / 12AU7 Mullard K61 Code tube ,   now I read that adding the speedball you cant tell much of a difference with the driver tube. I also ordered a RCA 6AS7G top getter black plate but that was only £20 odd.

I'm going to hold off now and just enjoy it.

Thanks all

Mar 9, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #4,164 of 12,335
The hd6x00 with the crack and speed ball is much better than I ever imagined. I think for most owner of the 600 or 650 who haven't heard their hp on this amp...they would be shocked to hear just how good it sounds. 

Mar 9, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #4,165 of 12,335
I really dig the odd ball/ old school looks of the Crack and can understand why its not for some people. Personally I think it can push  the boundary between function and artistic expression, their are some truly outstanding and inspirational builds out there .

It certainly makes for a interesting conversation piece when it gets spotted connected up to the turntable  when visitors come over. There is always the what is that and its got valves sticking out of it or it is the twenty century now you know times have moved on what are you bothering with that old fashion stuff.

This is normally met by do you fancy a listen see how it sounds (interestingly nobody has ever declined this invitation). Pull out a record and with out fail there is either a look of astonishment a big grin or both. Its a gem to watch for the expressions.

Mar 9, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #4,169 of 12,335
  Is that just paint on the top? How did you get the orange peel effect?

Just to answer your question it is hammered paint so it naturally does that so it is very much on purpose.  

Mar 9, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #4,170 of 12,335
Personally, I really love the old school look of the BHC.....to me it looks awesome, and I much prefer it to the newer looking sleek models of other amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back