Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Sep 7, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #10,336 of 12,335
Here is a pic that I collected earlier (from members here), which shows how the choke would stand behind the transformer.
Choke.jpg

I always wanted to do these mods, but my soldering skill sucks, so never dared to do them. I hope to pick up a soldering station someday and practice on my soldering skills...sigh 😆

Thanks for that. From what I read these are 2 very easy mods the cree board you are soldering away from the Crack anyway so get that right away from the "money" and then it's just wire it in like the rest of the build. The bit I am more worried about is screws showing on the top. I'm all for minimalism so with the cree ones would be looking to glue them and probably try and hide the choke ones behind the transformer. Depends how heavy it is I suppose.

Sep 7, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #10,337 of 12,335
For the crees I think it's okay to glue the board to the plate with some sticks, or use nothing as @DenverW suggested because the stock Crack wires should be strong enough to hold the board and crees in place. For the choke, I personally think it might be not safe to use sticks and glue to hold it in place because of the high temperature and heavy weight. I think it's safer to use some screws there, though I'm all for minimalism myself too.

Sep 7, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #10,338 of 12,335
For the choke installation, one way to avoid drilling additional holes on the plate, that I can think of, is to utilize the grounding screw and one of the screws that hold the transformer in place.

I think you can possibly make some metal rack for the choke using some metal stripes, and fix the stripes to the plate by the grounding screws and one of the transformer screws.

Sep 7, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #10,339 of 12,335
Here is a picture of the wood base that I mentioned. I haven't stained it yet. A portion of the side was cut out to make room for the caps, which were just a hair too big to sit comfortably.

When does this go up for sale?

Sep 7, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #10,340 of 12,335
When does this go up for sale?

lol! Perhaps once I have a crackatwoa? Help me find one! Bottlehead threw up three kits on sale and I missed it, barely.

@GreenNeedle i would strongly recommend against glue for the choke. It’s very heavy glue would fail at some point with the heat. The screws are behind the transformer so arent very visible on the top. Might as we’ll get used to adding some screws for when you upgrade those output caps!

Sep 7, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #10,341 of 12,335
Can you do for me a "eye level" with plate photo from the back? So I can see how you've mounted and wired the choke. I have one on its way to me. I'll not mention the crees that are also on their way because the PCB boards are unobtainium so I am hoping to copy someone else's solution of a "no board" fitment.

Here is a ground level pic of the choke installation, hope it helps. The wood base was made by machinery from my neighbor, those clean lines are beyond my skill level. I'm more hacksaw Jim Dugan than black swan. Now its time for the part that I've screwed up every time i've tried: staining. Wish me luck :)

IMG_1048.jpg

Sep 7, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #10,342 of 12,335
lol! Perhaps once I have a crackatwoa? Help me find one! Bottlehead threw up three kits on sale and I missed it, barely.

@GreenNeedle i would strongly recommend against glue for the choke. It’s very heavy glue would fail at some point with the heat. The screws are behind the transformer so arent very visible on the top. Might as we’ll get used to adding some screws for when you upgrade those output caps!
Just kidding really. I am still loving the Crack I bought from you the first time. I will have my own new base to show off soon I'm building from walnut.

I do sort of blame you (and give you credit) for my very healthy tube addiction.

Sep 7, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #10,343 of 12,335
Once the addiction really hits you'll sell that one and build one :). It was honestly worth going through the experience of building one and modding it. Not just the 'pride' factor of creating something yourself, but I'm much more confident in troubleshooint. I had a channel go out and I was able to figure out what the problem was and fix it (wire had come loose). Pass the sickness on to the next person...

Sep 8, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #10,344 of 12,335
Here is a ground level pic of the choke installation, hope it helps. The wood base was made by machinery from my neighbor, those clean lines are beyond my skill level. I'm more hacksaw Jim Dugan than black swan. Now its time for the part that I've screwed up every time i've tried: staining. Wish me luck :)

IMG_1048.jpg
Good luck. I never have much luck with staining either.

Sep 9, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #10,345 of 12,335

IMG_1048.jpg

LOL...Hacksaw Jim 🤣🤣🤣

I think you can possibly give the staining job to your neighbor as well, as he's good at wood works.

Sep 9, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #10,346 of 12,335
Once the addiction really hits you'll sell that one and build one :). It was honestly worth going through the experience of building one and modding it. Not just the 'pride' factor of creating something yourself, but I'm much more confident in troubleshooint. I had a channel go out and I was able to figure out what the problem was and fix it (wire had come loose). Pass the sickness on to the next person...

Wait....you mean there can be building addiction in addition to tube addiction? I think I should give up the idea of getting a soldering station....🤪

Just kidding :dt880smile:

Sep 12, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #10,347 of 12,335
so I have all my parts other than the PCB board (which I did order in the end.) What order do you think I should do these upgrades in? I want to do each individually so I can assess any differences. See if I like or dislike them.

Should I do speedball first followed by crees and then choke?

I've also finished my power lead home made version of the bottlehead one so will test that out before the above.

Sep 12, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #10,348 of 12,335
so I have all my parts other than the PCB board (which I did order in the end.) What order do you think I should do these upgrades in? I want to do each individually so I can assess any differences. See if I like or dislike them.

I've also finished my power lead home made version of the bottlehead one so will test that out before the above.

Speedball first, because you have specific voltage tests after installing it, and it gives the largest overall change both to space in the unit and overall sound.

Sep 12, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #10,349 of 12,335

Agree with @DenverW . Speedball 1st, choke 2nd, and crees 3rd.

BTW, where did you source your choke and crees? What are the specs on them (I have no idea about the specs :flushed:)? Thanks.

Sep 12, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #10,350 of 12,335
Agree with @DenverW . Speedball 1st, choke 2nd, and crees 3rd.

BTW, where did you source your choke and crees? What are the specs on them (I have no idea about the specs :flushed:)? Thanks.

Choke and crees: Mouser. They came in 3 days after buying.

I'm going to have to wait to do all this. My Noval socket is causing some crackling. No idea if it is a solder issue or the socket itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back