Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Sep 12, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #10,351 of 12,335
Sep 12, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #10,352 of 12,335
Crackling is usually a solder issue or a tube issue. Try Other tubes, and if it remains the same it’s probably solder. Most crack issues are solder :).

Sep 12, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #10,353 of 12,335

Cool, thank you very much for the links!

Same as @DenverW , I think it's best to replace the current driver tube with a different one first. If the crackling is still there, we can conclude that it's not a bad tube problem, and you can proceed to reflowing the joints on your Noval socket.

Sep 13, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #10,354 of 12,335
I tried several tubes already before the last post. All had the crackling. I've had a bit of a mare since then. lol. I decided to reflow some wires and then I had some low level hum.........so I decided to tighten up the screws thiking maybe that might help...........and some enamel chipped off round the screws..........so I've had to take it all off and respray the top. Happy days

Sep 13, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #10,355 of 12,335
@GreenNeedle Hopefully it won't be much more of an issue and you can get back to the music. Did you do any voltage checks after you redid the solder? I admit I've skipped that step before, and every time I have I usually end up regretting it.

Here is a question to the group: how many people get the background tap tap tap from other electronics (such as internet) that might be nearby. So I do get this intermittently, and I have a truly ghetto solution. I've put a small wall of tin foil up between the crack and the router. I've noticed that its actually the top of the crack (the tubes) that needs the tin foil blocking. When I folded the tin foil in half and placed it on the side of the frame i'd getting the background sound. I'm thinking of trying some DIY tube shields. Anyone done this?

Sep 14, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #10,356 of 12,335
I recently purchased this amp after asking for some advice here. I'm incredibly happy with this decision and really enjoyed building it. I was happy to see a huge thread here dedicated to the amp, very cool to see the various mods and upgrades. It's been fun to slowly upgrade this amp. I installed speedball, a mod with the ground lug to filter PC noise (worked great), and built that special power cable.

I installed a new pot and knob today, came out nice. I ended up going with the audio note since it had solder lugs, and figured what the hell I'll splurge a little. The new pot fixed the audio balance at low levels so that's cool. I was at a loss for what to upgrade, glad I found this thread, going to find some inspiration.

Attachments

• DNwDO1E.jpg
    DNwDO1E.jpg
    951.2 KB · Views: 0
Sep 14, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #10,357 of 12,335
It looks great! Prepare to fall into the tube and upgrade pit! Output caps, Cree diodes! Chokes! Gec tubes!

Sep 14, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #10,358 of 12,335
I recently purchased this amp after asking for some advice here. I'm incredibly happy with this decision and really enjoyed building it. I was happy to see a huge thread here dedicated to the amp, very cool to see the various mods and upgrades. It's been fun to slowly upgrade this amp. I installed speedball, a mod with the ground lug to filter PC noise (worked great), and built that special power cable.

I installed a new pot and knob today, came out nice. I ended up going with the audio note since it had solder lugs, and figured what the hell I'll splurge a little. The new pot fixed the audio balance at low levels so that's cool. I was at a loss for what to upgrade, glad I found this thread, going to find some inspiration.

Excellent work!

I love the legs, where can I find them?

Sep 14, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #10,359 of 12,335
@GreenNeedle Hopefully it won't be much more of an issue and you can get back to the music. Did you do any voltage checks after you redid the solder? I admit I've skipped that step before, and every time I have I usually end up regretting it.

Here is a question to the group: how many people get the background tap tap tap from other electronics (such as internet) that might be nearby. So I do get this intermittently, and I have a truly ghetto solution. I've put a small wall of tin foil up between the crack and the router. I've noticed that its actually the top of the crack (the tubes) that needs the tin foil blocking. When I folded the tin foil in half and placed it on the side of the frame i'd getting the background sound. I'm thinking of trying some DIY tube shields. Anyone done this?

Too bad you have the RF interference issue. My Crack is also very close to my router (about 1.5m), but I didn't have the tap tap tap issue.

For the 12AU7 tube you can find aluminum shields like this:
s-l1600.jpg

But I am not sure if there are similar shields for the 6080/6AS7G tube.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #10,360 of 12,335

Another solution to get rid of the RF interference issue is to use Faraday cage.
faraday%20cage%20drawing_0.png

You can find some metal mesh, and DIY a cage to cover the whole Crack or just the tube section. It works best if you connect the Faraday cage to the ground - maybe connect it to the grounding nut on your Crack.

Sep 14, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #10,361 of 12,335
It looks great! Prepare to fall into the tube and upgrade pit! Output caps, Cree diodes! Chokes! Gec tubes!

Excellent work!

I love the legs, where can I find them?
I got them on Amazon. Just looked up jewelry box feet. They scratch stuff up though, I really need some rubber pads for them.

Sep 14, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #10,363 of 12,335

I was getting a lot of noise from my PC, I installed two diodes from the ground on the IEC to the ground lug in place of the buss wire, it's dead silent now.
PB made a post about it here: https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=11676.0

Sounds like your noise is RFI though.

Sep 14, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #10,364 of 12,335
That's also a very promising solution.

I haven't installed that solution yet, coz it came up just recently (maybe the end of last year). Saw it on the BH forum, but almost forgot about it.:flushed:

Sep 14, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #10,365 of 12,335

Alas I didn't. It all tested fine when I first did it and I was just reflowing things so didn't deem it necessary. When I put it all back together I will do the checks.

Before I re-flowed though I tested the power cord I made. No inputs just phones into the unit. With the old power cord (from a 5A LED power supply) it was pretty quiet but you could hear hum at near max to max volume. With new power cord, silent all the way to max. After reflow............humm all the way from bottom. lol. Sounds to me like ground. Like the humm you get plugging a guitar into an amp with a dodgy lead. Like the beginning of Oasis-Cigarettes and alcohol.

I get this. My phone's charger base is above the Crack. My solution is to turn the phone off. lol. Works a treat and no interruptions either.

Is it a router you are talking about or wi-fi? If router, can't you shield around that and hide it away somewhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back