Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Aug 11, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #5,731 of 12,352
  Ok i disconnected one of RCA input and the sound on that side disappeared plug it back and do the same to the other channel and again the sound from that channel disappeared so meaning it's a STEREO?THANK YOU!

You're welcome.

Surprised then that you're not hearing noticeable improvements over stock as this should be giving greater transparency and detail compared to the stock pot.

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #5,732 of 12,352
In my experience, a poor (cold) solder joint could cause some attenuation and muddiness. I might try reflowing the solder.

Aug 12, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #5,734 of 12,352

Ok i disconnected one of RCA input and the sound on that side disappeared plug it back and do the same to the other channel and again the sound from that channel disappeared so meaning it's a STEREO?THANK YOU!

You're welcome.

Surprised then that you're not hearing noticeable improvements over stock as this should be giving greater transparency and detail compared to the stock pot.

The only improvement i hear is the balance in lower volume other than that nothing else except for less bass and details i remember when i had the stock pot the sound is more forward but not anymore with this Attenuator.Do you recall how the stock pot sounds like?I think it's forward sounding.Thanks! 

Aug 12, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #5,736 of 12,352
 I'am not liking this crap i will try the ALPS Blue Velvet i should  have it tomorrow or thursday oh and it should come with Mundorf 100uf 400V Caps.
biggrin.gif
Thanks!

Aug 12, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #5,737 of 12,352
Recently I've replaced my AQ golden gate RCA cables with premium Hi-Fi interconnect RCA cables.  I’m truly amazed how they improved my Crack’s sound quality.  To my ears change of the sound quality by replacing the cables was clearly more than using different tubes.  It worth every penny that I paid for the cables.

Aug 12, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #5,739 of 12,352
Mica insulator to keep the transistor from shorting to the heat sink. The washers have a lip also to keep everything from touching.

Aug 12, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #5,740 of 12,352
  My Speedball kit comes with these plastic things

.  I'm assuming they're thermal pad. Am I right?  Just want to be sure. Please advise,  Thanks in advance.

Mica insulator to keep the transistor from shorting to the heat sink. The washers have a lip also to keep everything from touching.

Yes. Thermal pad is what they're called in the manual.

Aug 14, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #5,744 of 12,352
I need to replace the octal tube socket on my year old crack, any recommendations? I'm debating between teflon and the glass fibre beltons. The power tube on my crack needs to be in a very definitive position for the amp to function unfortunately, and touching it either kills the amp or a channel, along with bursting my ears in the process.

Aug 14, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #5,745 of 12,352
  I need to replace the octal tube socket on my year old crack, any recommendations? I'm debating between teflon and the glass fibre beltons. The power tube on my crack needs to be in a very definitive position for the amp to function unfortunately, and touching it either kills the amp or a channel, along with bursting my ears in the process.

Are you 100% sure you don't have a loose connection on the socket, or elsewhere?  This is the most common cause of the issue you describe.

You can also tighten the socket connections by gently prying the pin forks together a bit in the socket.

Several builders have had issues in their Cracks from "high quality" teflon sockets, so I wouldn't recommend them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back