Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Mar 27, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #4,366 of 12,335
Thanks NF,

Cleaning the pins and the socket was the first thing I tried (in hopes).  I supposed I can give it another go.  It can't hurt right?

I was going to bring it the meet but I missed my shot as we were away on vacation and I wasn't check Head-fi when JAG was asking people to register with him :frowning2:

I have half a mind to crash the meet (but I won't) because I think it's going be a great one!

Mar 27, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #4,369 of 12,335

so heppy 
gs1000.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtlplvhDSR0

Mar 27, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #4,372 of 12,335
I do really know that I shouldn't be running this E80CC through the stock Crack but it sounds SO GOOD. I really can't go back now...I've ordered the SB and I'll just wait it out.

Anyone who's thinking about it, I can't recommend this tube enough with the 5998. All the detail, imaging and soundstage but with that rubbery tube warmth.

Basically, it fills in all the low mids, keeps the low end nice and chunky and livens everything else up top.

Mar 27, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #4,373 of 12,335
  Great to see your table now has a rather smart looking Crack sitting on it, neat reflection of you taking the pic!

I was just going to say I could tell he's wearing his Senns while taking the pic of the bottlehead badge.

I just finally got around to doing the finish on mine. I don't think its nearly so dark as the one above. The gloss spray I coated the stain with still stinks a bit when I'm back to the house after being away for the day. Not nearly so glossy as to cast a reflection either. I mean I only did 5-6 coats...1/3 to half I can I'd guess.

Mar 27, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #4,374 of 12,335
  Thanks NF,

Cleaning the pins and the socket was the first thing I tried (in hopes).  I supposed I can give it another go.  It can't hurt right?

I was going to bring it the meet but I missed my shot as we were away on vacation and I wasn't check Head-fi when JAG was asking people to register with him :frowning2:

I have half a mind to crash the meet (but I won't) because I think it's going be a great one!

Oh hey! Your in Taranta! How handy are you with a soldering iron? Assuming you reflowed everything? Have you posted for help on the BH forums?

Mar 27, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #4,376 of 12,335

Dang, that sucks man, have you tried buying from these guys brand new: LINK Right on their front page they say they have Tung Sol / Chatham 5998's for $85. I got one of mine from them.

Just gave them a call from the 800 number on their front page to see if they would be willing to reveal what years they have in stock for the Tung-Sol. Said he didn't know how to read the codes. So I says "Its 322 then the year, then the week".  The guy replies "They're all the way in the back".  I get it, they don't have time.  

... So, I guess I don't have time to purchase them. *sigh*.

Its a stellar price. I've hear it said the year doesn't matter with this make of tube and the differences are so minor it doesn't matter.  I don't believe it. Small differences add up to big ones. 1+1 still equals 2 the last time I checked.

Mar 27, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #4,379 of 12,335
  I do really know that I shouldn't be running this E80CC through the stock Crack but it sounds SO GOOD. I really can't go back now...I've ordered the SB and I'll just wait it out.

Anyone who's thinking about it, I can't recommend this tube enough with the 5998. All the detail, imaging and soundstage but with that rubbery tube warmth.

Basically, it fills in all the low mids, keeps the low end nice and chunky and livens everything else up top.

I can't recommend Thom Rotella's excellent (jazz) album, "A Day In The Life," enough.  It's a great album regardless of gear used.. but I find it to sound especially impressive with the SB'ed Crack/650.. my tube of choice?  The Amperex PQ 6085/E80CC.  The album appears to be mixed & mastered well.. the 6085 has an absolutely terrific soundstage.. you cal also expect one of the finest versions of the Amperex "house sound" (that I've heard).. it all makes for what feels like an utterly live performance via the HD650.  Superb dynamics, layering, tonal richness, imaging, etc.  I'm supposed to send this tube to @MattTCG to audition.. but I just can't seem to pull it out of the Crack... sorry bud.

wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back