Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jan 31, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #3,695 of 12,343
  It's a re-brand not a reissue from a different manufacturing plant (unless specified) so yes they sound the same. GEC's are distinguishable by there brown base which I have not seen any other 6AS7/6080 equivalent manufacturer use. 

Thanks so much for the quick response. Last question, I am not sure if it's a fake or real. How do you think about this matter? Is it easy/hard to fake something like this?

Jan 31, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #3,696 of 12,343

Thanks so much for the quick response. Last question, I am not sure if it's a fake or real. How do you think about this matter? Is it easy/hard to fake something like this?

No chance of those being fake - at all period. I had the same identical tube bought from a tube supplier locally. First thing if it was a fake it would have unknown and indistinguishable manufacturer(plant)/date codes, second of all it would have a completely different structure of the plates, heaters, getter and grid inside the tube that does not carry the design and characteristic traits of a GEC tube. Sometimes Mullards come close but still different and different sound if you have a pair of GEC's to compare with each other for reference.

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #3,697 of 12,343
  It sure looks like a GEC to me...

No chance of those being fake - at all period. I had the same identical tube bought from a tube supplier locally. First thing if it was a fake it would have unknown and indistinguishable manufacturer(plant)/date codes, second of all it would have a completely different structure of the plates, heaters, getter and grid inside the tube that does not carry the design and characteristic traits of a GEC tube. Sometimes Mullards come close but still different and different sound if you have a pair of GEC's to compare with each other for reference.

Thank you two very much for the quick response! YOU AWESOME PEEPS :D

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #3,698 of 12,343

Another question for you or anyone else will know. Will the GEC Brown base work nicely with Hytron 5814A? I am pairing this with HD700 by the way. Looking for a stronger bass and less treble.

Feb 1, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #3,700 of 12,343
Feb 2, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #3,702 of 12,343
Got my shipping confirmation 31st January, ordered Crack+Speedball 12th January, it´s like a late Christmas present 
smily_headphones1.gif
 just have to wait for it to be shipped half way across the world 
biggrin.gif

Anyway, when you painted the chassis plate and the bell cover did any of you use primer (paint)?
I kinda like the hammered finish look, but I have read somewhere that you need a special primer when you paint on aluminium. 

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #3,703 of 12,343
That's correct.

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #3,704 of 12,343
  Got my shipping confirmation 31st January, ordered Crack+Speedball 12th January, it´s like a late Christmas present 
smily_headphones1.gif
 just have to wait for it to be shipped half way across the world 
biggrin.gif

Anyway, when you painted the chassis plate and the bell cover did any of you use primer (paint)?
I kinda like the hammered finish look, but I have read somewhere that you need a special primer when you paint on aluminium.

Congrats hope you have a lot of fun building.

As for the paint generally for alloy a primer or is recommended. However this also depends on what type of paint system you intend to use. Find the spec sheet for your intended paint finish and see if a primer or undercoat is required for alloy it should give you details on what the paint manufacturer recommends for good results.

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #3,705 of 12,343
Well I suppose it was inevitable I have had a JFX  2.2uF 250V Polypropylene Film cap that has been sitting in my parts box for a while now (I brought it at the same time as the 100uf films as it only cost £1.72) and ended up soldering it in as film bypass cap across the last electrolytic filter cap in the Crack earlier today.

I feel there has been a slight improvement in fluidity and presence a touch more body to vocals and also the top end has slightly more crispness to the shimmers and tinkles without importantly for me adding any brightness.

It now opens up a can of worms with respect to trying something like a PIO or SIO or further bypassing of the current bypassing cap with a smaller Teflon.

I will let the cap burn in for a week or two in situ while I mull over which options to have fun experimenting with next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back