Cowon Plenue R2
Feb 24, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #151 of 296
On the main screen, it's the third icon from the right, the one with the "Y".
I've always liked that feature as it's akin to having your own personal radio.
I wrote to Cowon last year asking to have that included in any updates to the R but they seem to have abandoned it.

Feb 24, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #153 of 296
Thanks! Seems like a nice upgrade but buying it full price is not justified on my side. I'll wait for a good deal on a used one in a few months.

Good point, Cowon DAP prices do drop a few months after the introduction.

Feb 24, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #154 of 296
As promised, here is my review of Plenue R2. Yes, it's a rather long read, but I partitioned and indexed (at the end of each page) the write up into multiple pages so you can skip to what interests you the most. Enjoy the read!

cowon_plenue_r2-15.jpg
Excellent review! I'm sold, however I'm going to wait until the price comes down a bit. Thank you so much for including the Opus#1s comparison. This dap sounds exactly like what I'm after, and a definite upgrade to my 1s. I really like the Cowon leather case to! Much appreciated :ksc75smile:

Feb 28, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #155 of 296
That's an excellent review and I like the idea of a player that only does one thing, but I already have a Fiio M11 Normal, so I fear that soundwise the R2 will be more like a sidegrade than an upgrade.

Mar 1, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #156 of 296
This is an interesting little DAP. Right now I could get a Plenue 2 for about $100 less than the R2...can anyone comment if the Plenue 2 is still relevant and if it would be an upgrade to this player in any way?

Mar 4, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #157 of 296
Plenue 2 is not worth for its price. Less battery life. I have PD as well. Comparing pd with p2, for me pd sounds good. Pd has got good bass impact and sparkling treble. P2 bal out has got little wider soundstage but sounds less energetic compare to pd. Volume in p2 50/140 is equal to 25/100 in pd. I really don't know how top tier player like p2 is not competing well enough with low end pd.
PD over P2:
Impactful bass
Sparkling treble
Energetic sound
Battery life is what we all needs.
Handy and pocket friendly.
P2 over PD:
Slightly wider soundstage in balanced out
No hiss
Overall sound signature is similar and typical cowon sound. Better to stick with pd.
I haven't listened to R2. Based on my experience with p2 and pd, R2 will be a sure winner in all the aspect.

Mar 4, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #158 of 296
Plenue 2 is not worth for its price. Less battery life. I have PD as well. Comparing pd with p2, for me pd sounds good. Pd has got good bass impact and sparkling treble. P2 bal out has got little wider soundstage but sounds less energetic compare to pd. Volume in p2 50/140 is equal to 25/100 in pd. I really don't know how top tier player like p2 is not competing well enough with low end pd.
PD over P2:
Impactful bass
Sparkling treble
Energetic sound
P2 over PD:
No hiss
Overall sound signature is similar and typical cowon sound. Better to stick with pd.
I haven't listened to R2. Based on my experience with p2 and pd, R2 will be a sure winner in all the aspect.
P2 add an amp = pow.

Mar 5, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #159 of 296
New Firmware 1.12 is out :-

http://www.cowonglobal.com/zeroboard/zboard.php?id=C08&no=640

Scroll down on link for installation instructions.

Warning/Caution

1. The battery must be fully charged before firmware upgrade.
  2. Do not reset PLENUE R2 during firmware upgrade.
  3. Backup any important files in PLENUE R2 to your PC before firmware upgrade.
  4. Please use firmware that COWON authorizes only.
  5. JetEffect values might be initialized after firmware upgrade. Please record any important values.

New features

1. Improved display of some screen abnormalities in certain situations
  2. Improved time setting accuracy

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #160 of 296
PD over P2:
Impactful bass
Sparkling treble
Energetic sound
P2 over PD:
No hiss

Are you using EQ and JetEffects ?

Mar 6, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #164 of 296

Users who are viewing this thread

Back