Cowon Plenue R2
Feb 3, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #121 of 296
It's heaven. Plenue R2 + AstellnKern Diana. Cowon shows with Plenue R2 that the SR15 is not performing on it's max with the same dual dac configuration. Just telling you imo.

It was short. I had a faulty device too. Send it back and decide to look for another DAP. :frowning2: Sorry.

Feb 3, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #122 of 296
Feb 4, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #126 of 296
I got this yesterday.
Downloaded the updated software. I hear no difference in sound between R1 & R2. I like the color compared to R1 silver.
Interested in trying the optical out.
UI is the same as in R1. I wish cowon could change playing time from 156 to 1:56. I don’t like their leather wallpaper with the bumps but that’s only me so I keep it to black.
I understand what the other guy mentions about the fonts. It kinda looks an older dap from 1999 when compared to something like in the Sony ZX300.

Feb 4, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #128 of 296
I'm waiting for jmills verdict :)
Ha , Im good with the Cowon : P1 , PM2 , PS , and PL. All of these sounds great and zero issues. Im waiting for the upcoming Cowon TOTL dap.

Feb 5, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #129 of 296
I settled on new IEM's for the R2, the 425's did there job for years.

Spent weeks read on every TOTL IEM's from all companies, many I had never heard of. *Alot of good stuff out there..! As noted was looking what would provided the "best' overall sound. Balanced, spacious, layered, clear, etc. Something that can cover it all as best as possible.

The Campfire Audio Solaris is everything and more. What you read and hear about them is soooo true. I would highly recommend if you ever have the chance to hear the Solaris .... DO IT. Its not for everyone as nothing is, but I would bet 90+ percent of people that hear them will love them.

Spent the last few days burning them in and listening at night for hours, they just draw you in deep with the texture and layering. Have roughly 50 hours on them so still need more burn in / listening from what everyone says. I guess 100-200 hours is the what everyone who has tested them note.

It is scary how good how these sound on the R2 as they break in. I know the cowon's are amazing at tweaking and given the Solaris ability to adjust to subtle changes its amazing how you can tailor the sound.

Very sorry Jmills as I appreciate you offering too "......write a 500 Audiophile worded paragraph inorder to look like I know what Im talking about. But Ill need a free dap/amp/iem for it.". I decided spending the money on the Solaris vs a dap/amp/iem for the paragraph =) Though I am sure the paragraph would have been excellent....

They are large with some heft to them for an IEM. I dont have small ears so they fit me extremely well.
The right tips are key..!!!! I have tip rolled many IEM's over the years but on the Solaris the differences in tips is more intense on how it changes the sound.

As of now I cant find much fault other then getting the right tips.

Edit: I have been asked if there is hiss with the R2 - Solaris with other dac/dap's has been noted to hiss. None with the R2

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #130 of 296
I have original R and I’m interested in what differences are between these. Is there a compare list anywhere that you folks know about?
My R just gets better and better....really glad I got one.

Feb 8, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #131 of 296
I have original R and I’m interested in what differences are between these. Is there a compare list anywhere that you folks know about?
My R just gets better and better....really glad I got one.

R2 is next in my review queue, so I will make sure to cover in details the comparison to original R.

Feb 15, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #133 of 296
It was short. I had a faulty device too. Send it back and decide to look for another DAP. :frowning2: Sorry.

After the problems with the R2 I text here and bought a J afterwards, which was not great either (manufacturing issues straight out of the box on the SE. Plastic ring was squeezed. It was not round and unable tot plug in the 3.5mm jack -> strange isn't it!?). So send that back as well and even after the problems mentioned above I did a last moment of truth to buy the D2.

And yes... no issues at all! The output (which was extemely loud on the R2) is not here. And enjoying it a lot right now. So, I think I found my new buddy here.

In the end guys, I think there was something wrong with the R2 in software or hardware. I don't know. But I am glad to do a last try with buying the D2. Wanted tot let this know. Happy days! :wink:

Feb 17, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #134 of 296
Can anyone compare / contrast the sound and sonic traits against the Opus#1s? And just for confirmation, this dap isn't fat 32 like the D2, correct?

Feb 17, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #135 of 296
After the problems with the R2 I text here and bought a J afterwards, which was not great either (manufacturing issues straight out of the box on the SE. Plastic ring was squeezed. It was not round and unable tot plug in the 3.5mm jack -> strange isn't it!?). So send that back as well and even after the problems mentioned above I did a last moment of truth to buy the D2.

And yes... no issues at all! The output (which was extemely loud on the R2) is not here. And enjoying it a lot right now. So, I think I found my new buddy here.

In the end guys, I think there was something wrong with the R2 in software or hardware. I don't know. But I am glad to do a last try with buying the D2. Wanted tot let this know. Happy days! :wink:
Are these common issues, or just a bad device?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back