Cowon Plenue R2
Jan 28, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #106 of 296
I'm a dude, but the m11 wasn't comfortable to hold and use in one hand without feeling like I may drop it. It also would stick out of my coat pocket and the weight of it would pull it down and had it fall out a couple times while sitting on the train.
Just joking.

Jan 28, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #107 of 296
So I got the replacement and everything is working fine on this one. Not really sure what the deal was on the first one, it would not access to load files, but every cable I had would charge it?? Either way I would say it is excellent. Spent a few hours testing and extermely happy.

Soooo hate to ask as I know it is very subjective, but since I am down the rabbit hole LOL... Looking for new IEM's to pair up with the R2. Just looking for recommendations on IEM's to research / review.

If it helps, I like open / spacious sounding IEMs. Detail is more improtant then volume if that makes sense. Something that can play deep with impact vs boo, fast and detailed, limited overhang. Clear vocals (not a V sound), so balanced with everything else. I like detailed highs BUT I dont like them really strong, not sure why but I like them to be there and detailed in presence but not "strong". Seems a lot of top IEM's I have hear are to bright for me.

Price range I figured $1000 give or take given it seems the ball park for a lot of excellent ones.

I take care of my items but durable should be on the list, given I had my J3 up until now =)

** I have used Shure 425 for years FTR. Funny thing I notice reviews in 2010-2013 all at 4 or 5 star ratings. Picked them in up in 2011. Reviews from 2017-On they are 3.5/4 star now which tells me there sooooo many good new brands out there now. Honestly to me its a little overwhelming on how many are out there.

Jan 28, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #108 of 296
So I got the replacement and everything is working fine on this one. Not really sure what the deal was on the first one, it would not access to load files, but every cable I had would charge it?? Either way I would say it is excellent. Spent a few hours testing and extermely happy.

Soooo hate to ask as I know it is very subjective, but since I am down the rabbit hole LOL... Looking for new IEM's to pair up with the R2. Just looking for recommendations on IEM's to research / review.

If it helps, I like open / spacious sounding IEMs. Detail is more improtant then volume if that makes sense. Something that can play deep with impact vs boo, fast and detailed, limited overhang. Clear vocals (not a V sound), so balanced with everything else. I like detailed highs BUT I dont like them really strong, not sure why but I like them to be there and detailed in presence but not "strong". Seems a lot of top IEM's I have hear are to bright for me.

Price range I figured $1000 give or take given it seems the ball park for a lot of excellent ones.

I take care of my items but durable should be on the list, given I had my J3 up until now =)

** I have used Shure 425 for years FTR. Funny thing I notice reviews in 2010-2013 all at 4 or 5 star ratings. Picked them in up in 2011. Reviews from 2017-On they are 3.5/4 star now which tells me there sooooo many good new brands out there now. Honestly to me its a little overwhelming on how many are out there.
JVC 10000 best ever iem.

Jan 29, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #109 of 296
Picked one of these up. I have a 512GB card almost filled with FLAC files and it detects them all no problem despite the site saying max 256GB.
There's a difference between being able to see the directory entries and being able to actually play the files.

The directory is stored at the start of the card so can always be read.

Please try playing a smattering of files throughout your collection and see if they all play. Would be handy to know if it really can read them all.

Jan 29, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #110 of 296
Firmware V1.11 is on :-

http://www.cowonglobal.com/zeroboard/zboard.php?id=C08&no=636

Warning/Caution

• The battery must be fully charged before firmware upgrade.
  • Do not reset PLENUE R2 during firmware upgrade.
  • Backup any important files in PLENUE R2 to your PC before firmware upgrade.
  • Please use firmware that COWON authorizes only.
  • JetEffect values might be initialized after firmware upgrade. Please record any important values.

New features

1. Modified to put balanced output first when balanced and unbalanced terminals are inserted at the same time.
  2. Improved compatibility with some smartphones when using USB DAC function. :warning:
  3. Improved compatibility with some battery chargers.
  4. Improved stability of specific sound source files at optical output.

:warning: When connecting Plenue R2 with your smartphone in USB DAC mode and if you see the message
'High-power USB device connected ', set PLENUE R2 "Setup ▶ System ▶ USB DAC Power" menu
setting to 'Built-in Battery' and connect the USB cable with the Plenue R2 power ON.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #111 of 296
Firmware V1.11 is on :-

http://www.cowonglobal.com/zeroboard/zboard.php?id=C08&no=636

Warning/Caution

• The battery must be fully charged before firmware upgrade.
  • Do not reset PLENUE R2 during firmware upgrade.
  • Backup any important files in PLENUE R2 to your PC before firmware upgrade.
  • Please use firmware that COWON authorizes only.
  • JetEffect values might be initialized after firmware upgrade. Please record any important values.

New features

1. Modified to put balanced output first when balanced and unbalanced terminals are inserted at the same time.
  2. Improved compatibility with some smartphones when using USB DAC function. :warning:
  3. Improved compatibility with some battery chargers.
  4. Improved stability of specific sound source files at optical output.

:warning: When connecting Plenue R2 with your smartphone in USB DAC mode and if you see the message
'High-power USB device connected ', set PLENUE R2 "Setup ▶ System ▶ USB DAC Power" menu
setting to 'Built-in Battery' and connect the USB cable with the Plenue R2 power ON.

Battery power on USB, nice to see Cowon implementing this feature.

Jan 29, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #112 of 296
Just joking.
Please try playing a smattering of files throughout your collection and see if they all play. Would be handy to know if it really can read them all.

I've listened to a good range of albums and just tested a bunch of songs throughout and had had no issues. Have a 512GB card w/ 20GB remaining and nothing on the main device.

Jan 29, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #114 of 296
I could write a 500 Audiophile worded paragraph inorder to look like I know what Im talking about. But Ill need a free dap/amp/iem for it.

Jan 30, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #115 of 296
Picked one of these up. I have a 512GB card almost filled with FLAC files and it detects them all no problem despite the site saying max 256GB.
Only have about 3 hours of listening so far, but they drive my OG Campfire Andromedas very well. I don't hear any hiss.

The size is perfect for me. The Fiio M11 Pro was so heavy and clunky, that it was almost a pain to carry around. The screen is big enough, so I don't really fat finger while browsing and can use it just fine with one hand without feeling like I may drop it. The edges are very sharp, even more so than the M11 Pro. I have the leather case coming, so that shouldn't be an issue.

The EQ options are amazing. I haven't had time to sit down and mess with some custom EQ and a lot of them seemed to bass heavy and narrow the sound stage. For now, I've been using the 'Rap' preset as it sounds the best to my ears. Anyone care to share their EQ settings? Gapless playblack works properly, unlike the M11 Pro.

The software could use some work. Background images and player skins look like they were copied from 90's Winamp skins. It doesn't bother me because 90% of the time my screen is off. I opted for 'Black' background with 'Type A' skin. It'd be nice to see some more customization options or ability to create our own themes, but I doubt that will happen. I haven't figured out how to display lyrics properly. Right now they're stored in the FLAC tags and the app doesn't seem to detect them. Their website says they support tags for lyrics, but I have a feeling I'll need to export to .lrc. I'm just afraid adding a bunch of .lrc files will cause issues.

Navigating music could be a little improved. If you're searching in 'Folder' mode, you need to back out into the root directory to change to a different mode of browsing such as Artist/Album/Playlist/Genre. Folder mode is the only way I've found where it automatically goes to the next album, so most of my time will be spent in that mode anyways.

The LED feature where it changes colors depending of the quality of the music is kind of pointless IMO, so I turned it off. Calling FLAC 16bit 44.1kHz files 'Standard' seems weird. I don't know anyone who can blind test 16bit vs 32bit FLAC and be consistently correct. I also don't get the buzz behind DSD. I think 128kbps-320kbps mp3 should be standard, FLAC should be HD, and then have a Master/DSD color.

Overall, it's the best player I've found for my Campfire Andromedas. The software is easy to find the music I want to play and the it sounds amazing in my ears. At the end of the day, that's all that matters.

There are 4 alternative themes made by a Plenue 1 user (one is no longer avaible), i don't know if you can install them on the R2, but since the interfaces are similar, it could work. The only online site that still have them is the Cowon france site:
http://www.cowon-france.com/assistance/uci-plenue/

This image shows you how to install them, pretty simple

install-1.jpg

I've try them all on my P1 and they work fine. The only issue is you could only install one at a time. They figure as the last theme after the "F"

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #116 of 296
Having an issue where it's stuck in USB MSC mode. I had it plugged into my computer and was loading music and then it crashed, but the player is stuck saying connected. I tried holding down the power button, but it won't shut off or reset. Any ideas?

Edit: Nvm, just held all the buttons and it reset lol

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #118 of 296
I have a PM2 and it supports lyrics enbedded in files, no need for .lrc files. Just tap the small white square on top right of album art.

Thanks, that worked! I don't know how I missed that.

Still really liking this as a music player. My 512GB microsd card died. Never get PNY brand; this is the second one to corrupt while transferring music.
I lost my 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter, so tried using this as as a DAC and the audio lag is pretty awful. Tried this on 3 separate laptops and all got the same audio lag. I didn't install any additional drivers so not sure if that would fix it.

Feb 3, 2020 at 12:05 AM Post #120 of 296
Given its all around ability would Campfire Audio Solaris be a good match on the R2? I listen to many types of music. (Rock, Country, Pop/Hphop, Dnce, EM, some classical)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back