Cowon Plenue R2
Jan 9, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #76 of 296
there is truly a weird UNACCEPTABLE pixelation problem with the font.. and only crappy backstabbing stealing companies would create and sell crap like this in f. 2020.. That screen doesnt look amoled at all...

well implemented top cirrus dac chip should sound better than akm4497 maybe not akm4499 since i havent heard these yet..

so my guest is they did a bad cheap analog stage on the dac and|or bad amplification

that is if we can trust you and your ears anyway..
are you a plant from cowon or what.. anybody with a heart and a brain would never recommend a product like this.. it took me 3min to see how totally unacceptable the text resolution is..

even without listening to the sound this product is crap.. you are a backstabber too to stipulate otherwise and encourage companies like this.. this is the 3rd cowon product i bought from them, this was their 3rd chance and everytime they gave me just tons of problems.

D2 was so cheaply made.. and S9 had also tons of problem..

I'm in my right to say to others NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS CRAPPY COMPANY WHO WILL ALWAYS CREATE CRAP.. people who worked on the R2, accepted that screen and font should be all fired... they should recall the product and use an higher resolution better amoled screen/fix the font to be anti-aliased and clean.. this is f. basic... we are not in 1985 ... f. these korean companies
Maybe you could post a picture of what your screen looks like? I've owned plenty of Plenue players and the screens on the larger players are clearly legible and usable. They're not at the level of the latest cell phones but they're good, so it makes me wonder if there's a problem with your unit.

Jan 9, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #77 of 296
That's right, pixelation is so bad, I can't read a text or see an embedded artwork. I mean, common guys, look at these few quick R2 shots I just took (in a poor lighting, sorry), it's just one big messy pixelated blur!!! :D

cowon_plenue_r2-x05.jpg cowon_plenue_r2-x06.jpg

Jan 9, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #78 of 296
That's right, pixelation is so bad, I can't read a text or see an embedded artwork. I mean, common guys, look at these few quick R2 shots I just took (in a poor lighting, sorry), it's just one big messy pixelated blur!!! :D

Good one @twister6 / Alex,

As said maybe one day...damn that high exchange rate & too many choices despite being more than satisfied with the PD Series.

Keep up the good work on those reviews !

Hope you have a great day !

Jan 10, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #80 of 296
Plenues are all about SQ, JetEffects and form factor
Agree. I've also always rated Plenues for their UI, quick start up compared to many other DAPs and gapless playback. And for what it's worth - I've always liked the screen too! (at least on the larger players)

Jan 16, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #83 of 296
On the website there is a clear explanation about the USB-DAC function/mode for PC. But is there someone who tried it already with a smartphone? Would be awesome. I thought this was also with the NW-A45 (although it is another brand), but in the past Sony wrote that is was just with PC only also and then there was a YTvideo with a working wired connection with phone. Hoping for wonders here! Or maybe in the future with an update. See explanation:

Enhancing Your PC Sound with USB DACPLENUE R2 supports USB DAC Function to enable clean and sharp PC Sound. PLENUE R2 can be connected with PC via USB Cable and works an external DAC. Enjoy PLENUE R2's evolutionary HD Sound on PC.

* 16bit, 44.1 to 192kHz and 24bit, 44.1 to 96kHz output is supported when using
the USB DAC feature. Playback may be interrupted depending on your computer's data
throughput capacity.
* An OS of Windows 7 / 8 / 10 is recommended for a USB DAC, but it may not work
properly in Windows XP or lower versions.
vconb_02.jpg

Perhaps @twister6 ?

EDIT; I just took the plunge. Done with al the devices with streaming etc. which are not giving the sound quality that (what I think) is still behind (for example; downsampling on ZX507, battery drains or services that not working properly etc). For searching new music and for work I just sticking to my phone with the Billie Jeans. For the ultimate sound quality I think this should be the one for still an affordable price..! And looking forward to test it with my Diana's which are coming in today! And will test above myself. :)

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #85 of 296
Are there major enough differences to justify getting this if I already have the first model. Hopefully, the Bluetooth is better but what are the main differences. I don’t have the patience to analyze the chips, etc. can anyone tell me the main differences to justify buying it?

Jan 24, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #88 of 296
On the website there is a clear explanation about the USB-DAC function/mode for PC. But is there someone who tried it already with a smartphone? Would be awesome. I thought this was also with the NW-A45 (although it is another brand), but in the past Sony wrote that is was just with PC only also and then there was a YTvideo with a working wired connection with phone. Hoping for wonders here! Or maybe in the future with an update. See explanation:

Enhancing Your PC Sound with USB DACPLENUE R2 supports USB DAC Function to enable clean and sharp PC Sound. PLENUE R2 can be connected with PC via USB Cable and works an external DAC. Enjoy PLENUE R2's evolutionary HD Sound on PC.

* 16bit, 44.1 to 192kHz and 24bit, 44.1 to 96kHz output is supported when using
the USB DAC feature. Playback may be interrupted depending on your computer's data
throughput capacity.
* An OS of Windows 7 / 8 / 10 is recommended for a USB DAC, but it may not work
properly in Windows XP or lower versions.
vconb_02.jpg

Perhaps @twister6 ?

EDIT; I just took the plunge. Done with al the devices with streaming etc. which are not giving the sound quality that (what I think) is still behind (for example; downsampling on ZX507, battery drains or services that not working properly etc). For searching new music and for work I just sticking to my phone with the Billie Jeans. For the ultimate sound quality I think this should be the one for still an affordable price..! And looking forward to test it with my Diana's which are coming in today! And will test above myself. :)

It's heaven. Plenue R2 + AstellnKern Diana. Cowon shows with Plenue R2 that the SR15 is not performing on it's max with the same dual dac configuration. Just telling you imo.

Jan 26, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #89 of 296
NEED HELP

So I picked up a Cowon R2 and two things are happening out the box:

First: Will not recongnize the R2 at all? I tried on 3 different computers tonight, ranging from Windows 7(last effort), Windows 10 and Windows 10 Pro. I am using a cable I know that works and the cable that came with the player currently.

Second: I plugged it into one of the desktops at the house and a pop box came up saying "Power Surge on Hub Port" . I did not get that on the two laptops.
*For record it charged the player with the cable that came with it on the laptop find but once it was full the next item below starting popping up.......Microsoft Laptop with Windows 10 Pro.

Any clue or did I get just get a paper weight?? I can get it replaced (Amazon) but this is sad if truely a band new product....?

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #90 of 296
Sounds defective, not had that on any cowons I've used as yet other than it being a cable issue. I had an R2 with dead optical out, sent it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back