Cowon Plenue R2
Mar 10, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #166 of 296
So, I pulled the trigger on the R2. Compared to my M11, everything sounds cleaner and clearer. It's a perfect match for my Rai Pentas.

A previous poster on this thread reported connectivity issues and I first thought that I had the same problem. The player appearently wasn't recognized by my PC. That freaked me out and I was thinking about returning it, but after a chat with Amazon customer service it turned out that I was wrong. The player needs to be turned off before attaching the cable, then you press the on/off button and voilà: player recognized.

Mar 10, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #167 of 296
So, I pulled the trigger on the R2. Compared to my M11, everything sounds cleaner and clearer. It's a perfect match for my Rai Pentas.

A previous poster on this thread reported connectivity issues and I first thought that I had the same problem. The player appearently wasn't recognized by my PC. That freaked me out and I was thinking about returning it, but after a chat with Amazon customer service it turned out that I was wrong. The player needs to be turned off before attaching the cable, then you press the on/off button and voilà: player recognized.
Any additional sound comparisons? The R2 and M11 are my front runners for my next dap. I'm leaning with the R2. I don't need the android experience, but I won't mind having it either.

Mar 10, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #168 of 296
Any additional sound comparisons? The R2 and M11 are my front runners for my next dap. I'm leaning with the R2. I don't need the android experience, but I won't mind having it either.

R2 has the better sound, battery life, smaller size and faster boot speed plus the pure dap experience and cowons exclusive jeteffects. Depends what you will do on the m11 android, if not for streaming, you have a few hires player options (including uapp now it finally has google play) Neutron, Hiby, Fiio

Mar 10, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #169 of 296
R2 has the better sound, battery life, smaller size and faster boot speed plus the pure dap experience and cowons exclusive jeteffects. Depends what you will do on the m11 android, if not for streaming, you have a few hires player options (including uapp now it finally has google play) Neutron, Hiby, Fiio
You're 1st sentence told me all I need to know, thank you.

Mar 11, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #170 of 296

I'm fairly new to this game, so I don't know if my opinion really counts, but I have a large collection of classical music in DSD256, so that's what I'm comparing. The R2 is more neutral, has better detail and a black background. Another thing I noticed with the M11 was frequent disturbances that I - due to my lack of experience - thought was microphonics from the cables. This has completely disappeared with the R2, so what I was experiencing was actually distorsions in the playback of the M11. With non-DSD files you have the Jeteffects which can vastly improve the sound. Hope this helps.

Mar 11, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #171 of 296
I'm fairly new to this game, so I don't know if my opinion really counts, but I have a large collection of classical music in DSD256, so that's what I'm comparing. The R2 is more neutral, has better detail and a black background. Another thing I noticed with the M11 was frequent disturbances that I - due to my lack of experience - thought was microphonics from the cables. This has completely disappeared with the R2, so what I was experiencing was actually distorsions in the playback of the M11. With non-DSD files you have the Jeteffects which can vastly improve the sound. Hope this helps.

With the older burr-brown models you can use Jeteffects on DSD as they are actually converted to PCM for the PCM1792/PCM1795 DACs - Only Plenue S can do DSD256 though, Plenue 1, M2 etc can do DSD128

Apr 16, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #172 of 296
:star: New Firmware 1.20 is out on :- :star:

http://www.cowonglobal.com/zeroboard/zboard.php?id=C08&no=642

Scroll down on link for installation instructions.

Warning/Caution

• The battery must be fully charged before firmware upgrade.
  • Do not reset PLENUE R2 during firmware upgrade.
  • Backup any important files in PLENUE R2 to your PC before firmware upgrade.
  • Please use firmware that COWON authorizes only.
  • JetEffect values might be initialized after firmware upgrade. Please record any important values.

New features

1. Improved maximum volume when playing by Bluetooth
  2. Improved Bluetooth device compatibility

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #173 of 296
Hello,

can I ask any user about the music browsing system on Plenue R2?
I have music systematically arranged in max directories in three levels, in the directory I have either single tracks or one flac and a cue sheet. Can I simply browse through a directory while selecting and then run a cue sheet in them when I don't have split tracks in the album?
Cowon Plenue V uses the Lists item to browse through cue sheets, but in this item, I only see a list of cue sheets without adequate information (I don't see where it belongs to a folder, year, etc.).

Thanks a lot, Espin.

Apr 21, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #174 of 296
I don't think anyone has heard those model dacs, not even akm :beyersmile:

Nope i have and have had daps from most manufactures, Lotoo, Colorfly, Cowon, Fiio, Shanling, Sony, Ibasso, Xuelin, Echobox.

Maybe somebody with ears would recommend it?

Enlighten us with your next dap choice (maybe avoid the Altmann Tera :ksc75smile:)
My friend in My opinión Cowon is a great brand , un your opinión is Best Cowon P2 ir lotoo p6000?? I have a Cowon pR but i need upgrade, thanks

Apr 21, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #176 of 296
Apr 21, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #177 of 296
For me the P2 just wins over P6000 on sound and when you compare current pricing its a no brainer :)

If you want a less colored sound, that is correct for Plenue 2 having the advantage, though it's always up to a personal preference :wink: But I think for some the decision will be based more on functionality. As Cowon doesn't offer a true Line Out, Paw6k LO is cleaner, especially if you are coloring the sound with external amp. @jmills8 can weigh in more on this, since I know he prefers more transparent external amps with his Plenue daps for a clean power boost, right?

Also, if you want to use your DAP as a wireless Bluetooth DAC for streaming from your phone, paw6k offers two way BT as well as just a regular BT for wireless headphones pair up, while P2 doesn't.

As far as dsp effects, Jeteffects has semi Parametric EQ, not full Parametric like Lotoo PEQ, but it's a lot easier to use than PEQ. And regarding the actual effects, you can't edit Lotoo stuff, only use as presets, while Jeteffects offer you a great flexibility of editing and more presets.

Apr 21, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #178 of 296
If you want a less colored sound, that is correct for Plenue 2 having the advantage, though it's always up to a personal preference :wink: But I think for some the decision will be based more on functionality. As Cowon doesn't offer a true Line Out, Paw6k LO is cleaner, especially if you are coloring the sound with external amp. @jmills8 can weigh in more on this, since I know he prefers more transparent external amps with his Plenue daps for a clean power boost, right?

Also, if you want to use your DAP as a wireless Bluetooth DAC for streaming from your phone, paw6k offers two way BT as well as just a regular BT for wireless headphones pair up, while P2 doesn't.

As far as dsp effects, Jeteffects has semi Parametric EQ, not full Parametric like Lotoo PEQ, but it's a lot easier to use than PEQ. And regarding the actual effects, you can't edit Lotoo stuff, only use as presets, while Jeteffects offer you a great flexibility of editing and more presets.

A couple more:

P6000 has usb-c and 4.4mm compared to microusb and 2.5mm on the P2

P6000 has zero onboard storage, P2 has 128GB (both use microsd cards, i've have only tried 400gb sandisk in either)

P2 has optical out P6000 doesn't

P6000 has usb out (I think), P2 doesn't

Lotoo region lock the P6000 so for the English version expect to pay upto 3 x more than the multi region/language P2 (Current US pricing)

So to sum that up get a P2 or a P2 and another dap say a Shanling M6 or Shanling M6 Pro or Fiio M11 Pro or Hiby R6 Pro or YinLvMei A2 etc for Cheaper than just a P6000 on its own and (to me) sound better and have things like Neutron with a far better PEQ etc (This is all allegedly as for some reason i'm a member of the trade, even though i'm in the office doing nothing to do with Audio apart from this 5min break :) )

Apr 21, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #179 of 296
A couple more:

P6000 has usb-c and 4.4mm compared to microusb and 2.5mm on the P2

P6000 has zero onboard storage, P2 has 128GB (both use microsd cards, i've have only tried 400gb sandisk in either)

P2 has optical out P6000 doesn't

P6000 has usb out (I think), P2 doesn't

Lotoo region lock the P6000 so for the English version expect to pay upto 3 x more than the multi region/language P2 (Current US pricing)

So to sum that up get a P2 or a P2 and another dap say a Shanling M6 or Shanling M6 Pro or Fiio M11 Pro or Hiby R6 Pro or YinLvMei A2 etc for Cheaper than just a P6000 on its own and (to me) sound better and have things like Neutron with a far better PEQ etc (This is all allegedly as for some reason i'm a member of the trade, even though i'm in the office doing nothing to do with Audio apart from this 5min break :) )

English version brand new PAW6k with 3 languages in settings is going for $1,200 now (musicteck current pricing). Are they selling English version models outside of US for a lot higher? And yeah, PAW6k has digital audio out from usb-c to use it as a digital transport. I also saw P2 on amazon down to $1,600 now.

I think for anybody who is comparing these, need to make a list and figure out your priorities, to determine which one will suite you better. Unfortunately, DAP market is very saturated, and the higher price no longer determines what is better. Also, noticed that many people stay loyal to the brands, regardless of the pricing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back