Cowon Plenue P1
Dec 13, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #2,837 of 2,974
Hi,
I stumbled across the cowon P-1 online while looking for a DAP . There was a good offer on Amazon, but the items are sold out.\
I have a few questions and observations :
A) If my music source is an audio cd (not sacd) , what is the highest resolution file format that I could use ?

Note :
I notice very subtle difference between 256 kbps and 320 kbps ( This could be pyschological ). However, I notice
significant difference between 128kbps and 256 kbps alac files. I am ripping the cd in 44.1 Khz ,stereo with error correction
using Itunes.

I had a bose in ear phones and with my current headset and Ipod 5th gen classic (60gb, video clickwheel model). I am able to hear
the details of vocals, instruments further. I am not looking for streaming or wireless capabilities.

I have Oppo PM3 headphones and would like to get its full potential ( soundstage ,details).

B) Will the Plenus 1 give better details, soundstage with this head phone (Oppo PM3) than my Ipod classic?
I am not certain if the Ipod does justice to the headphones.

C) Will audio cd (source for my files) be good enough for the Plenus 1 ? Most of the music I listen is available only as
audio cd and I need to convert to digital files.

D) Do I need an amp, dac with Oppo PM3 and Cowon P1? My budget is limited.

I am a newbie. Thanks for your replies.
Regards
Sanjay

Dec 13, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #2,838 of 2,974
So, I've had the P1 for about a week now, is it normal for it to get hot after about 20 to 30 minutes of listening, it stays in my pocket and mostly at work, I have all DSD and ISO files on the internal 128 and all Flac on my 128 SD Card.
Thanks!
In a pocket its normal to get hot. Any more OCD questions ? Yeah I knew you have that. ☺

Dec 13, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #2,840 of 2,974
Hi,
I stumbled across the cowon P-1 online while looking for a DAP . There was a good offer on Amazon, but the items are sold out.\
A) If my music source is an audio cd (not sacd) , what is the highest resolution file format that I could use ?

Note :
I notice very subtle difference between 256 kbps and 320 kbps ( This could be pyschological ). However, I notice
significant difference between 128kbps and 256 kbps alac files. I am ripping the cd in 44.1 Khz ,stereo with error correction
using Itunes.

I had a bose in ear phones and with my current headset and Ipod 5th gen classic (60gb, video clickwheel model). I am able to hear
the details of vocals, instruments further. I am not looking for streaming or wireless capabilities.

I have Oppo PM3 headphones and would like to get its full potential ( soundstage ,details).

B) Will the Plenus 1 give better details, soundstage with this head phone (Oppo PM3) than my Ipod classic?

C) Will audio cd (source for my files) be good enough for the Plenus 1 ? Most of the music I listen is available only as

Regards
Sanjay

You dont need a dac or amp to drive the PM3. I have a PM3 and the P1. And the P1 can drive most headphones.

From CD Try to switch and use flac files if posible, since no sound fidelity is loss during compresion unless the file becames corrupted or the source is a compresed file, if the source is CD you will get same sound fidelity ripping to flac format.

I used to rip my files to flac and alac( in case i use apple hardware).
I just decided months ago to delete my alac music, just go flac and you cant go wrong.

I used to have an ipod 60gb (clickwheel model) i think it was called ipod video at the time which had a small color screen and video playback.
The P1 is huuuuuuuuge improvement in sound, UI, flash memory vs hard disk, more memory, sd capability, geez, is night and day difference.

PM3 is a good closed headphones, when you have the budget try a good open headphone for home and you will have bigger soundstage and different sound, improving your source from ipod to P1 and aac to flac is a good and great upgrade as a first step.

Dec 13, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #2,841 of 2,974
Hi,

Note :
using Itunes.

Regards
Sanjay

You dont need a dac or amp to drive the PM3. I have a PM3 and the P1. And the P1 can drive most headphones.

From CD Try to switch and use flac files if posible, since no sound fidelity is loss during compresion unless the file becames corrupted or the source is a compresed file, if the source is CD you will get same sound fidelity ripping to flac format.

I used to rip my files to flac and alac( in case i use apple hardware).
I just decided months ago to delete my alac music, just go flac and you cant go wrong.

I used to have an ipod 60gb (clickwheel model) i think it was called ipod video at the time which had a small color screen and video playback.
The P1 is huuuuuuuuge improvement in sound, UI, flash memory vs hard disk, more memory, sd capability, geez, is night and day difference.

PM3 is a good closed headphones, when you have the budget try a good open headphone for home and you will have bigger soundstage and different sound, improving your source from ipod to P1 and aac to flac is a good and great upgrade as a first step.

Dec 13, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #2,842 of 2,974
Agreed that the P1 is fab but if only there was a way to replicate smart playlists. Had an iPod since 2005, ripped all my cd's via iTunes, tagged the tunes with keywords and made smart playlists based on ratings, genres, age and keywords. Everything's been re-ripped to FLAC but currently using the P1 to listen to albums and the iPod / iPhone for when I want a mix of songs.

Unless I'm missing a trick and there's some sort of playlist wizardry that would work with the P1? :pray:

Dec 14, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #2,843 of 2,974
Received my P1 last night, charged and have been using it for a couple of hours this morning. Mixed feelings about it. Do not like sharp edges on the player itself. Os is similar to my J3, a few more options that will take time to define. Sound is quite good. Tried with Earjaxs Lyrica iem, Hifiman Rezero iem, He 400i and lastly with Sennheiser 800, was not thinking it would do well with the Senn , but to my surprise, it is quite good. Plenty of volumn and detail is also very good. Not up to my headphone amp, but to be expected. For casual listening this will work out well. Had to order an adapter to try coax output to Schiit dac, so I can try it to use as a source for headphone amp if it works as well then I will be keeping it. Think I may have gotten one of the last ones available from Amazon. Packaging was not tampered with, still as packaged from manufacturer and quite a nice package, all in all. Online manual, is just basic, could go into more detail as to connections, but will explore on my own. For the price paid $399 a worth while buy so far. File transfer was a breeze from pc, no problem there at all.

Dec 14, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #2,844 of 2,974
Hi, thanks for the reply. That was very helpful. I bought my Ipod approximately 10 yrs ago and its mostly fine. How durable are Cowon players? If I want to use the P1 to play music files from my PC / Mac would it be possible and what connector would I need to use from the PC? Guess I would need to use the P1 as DAC here? thanks all. I am kind of a newbie

Dec 18, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #2,845 of 2,974
Hi, thanks for the reply. That was very helpful. I bought my Ipod approximately 10 yrs ago and its mostly fine. How durable are Cowon players? If I want to use the P1 to play music files from my PC / Mac would it be possible and what connector would I need to use from the PC? Guess I would need to use the P1 as DAC here? thanks all. I am kind of a newbie
Hi, can't tell you anything about the durability of the P1 (got mine a few weeks ago), but yes, you can use the P1 to play music on your PC / Mac (just like an external soundcard).

To do that, you simply have to select ‘MSC/DAC’ and ‘USB DAC pop-up when USB is connected’ at Settings/System/USB Mode, to connect the P1 to your computer using the USB cable, and (if you use Windows) to go to: Settings ▶ Hardware & Sound ▶ Audio Devices ▶ Choose [Default Settings] of COWON PLENUE 1 DAC ▶ Change to 24bit, 96000Hz at [Attributes]▶[Advanced].

Jan 5, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #2,849 of 2,974
how do i update the firmware? i updated my plenue D when i had it but that was like 2 yers ago i forget how its done
Firmware Upgrade
Basic Use
The firmware uses built-in programs in the hardware and upgrades to improve product capabilities and fix bugs in the software.
PLENUE 1 may use the firmware to adjust product performance or methods of use without prior notice, and minor malfunctions in
the firmware may occur.
+ How to upgrade the frmware
1. Download the latest frmware from the SUPPORT section of the website (http://www.COWON.com).
2. Use the Micro USB Cable to connect PLENUE 1 to the PC.
3. Unzip the downloaded frmware and copy it to the root folder of PLENUE 1.
4. Once the product is safely disconnected, remove the Micro USB cable.
5. When the product is turned on, the firmware is automatically upgraded in twice.
6. When firmware upgrade is complete, turn on the power and go to Settings ▶ System ▶ Information to check the version of the installed firmware.
- Fully charge the player before upgrading the frmware.
- Do not turn the player off before the frmware update has been completed. It may damage the product, and will void any warranty.
- Back up any important data before the frmware upgrade as any data stored on the device may be deleted during the process.
COWON accepts no liability for any loss of data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back