Cowon Plenue P1
Oct 17, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #2,806 of 2,974
Yes, I had the JH Layla2, but I find the Lola sounding nicer and smoother, and really great sounding for vocals. It is also alot more comfortable than the Layla2. It is a hidden gem that not many people are aware given all the hypes from the newer IEMs from Noble, Campfire, etc.

Congrats on your purchase, i have hear a lot of praise on the new Lolas, even some people like them more than the laylas, so that should be a pretty good match
I will audition P1 with Shure KSE1500 in november, hope is a good match too.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #2,809 of 2,974
20171027_192545 (1).jpg I have had my P1 for a few weeks now and loving the sound of it,different to my DX100 but I dont want to pick a winner,the new UI is nice although I miss the old level meters,it is fast and feels and looks like a new dap and for the money it is going for right now,its a steal,who needs android on a dap(my fiio x5iii will be up for sale).But if you would like a bluetooth workaround the Taotronics Bluetooth Transmitter and Receiver, with TOSLINK and aptX Low Latency sounds great ive tested it with my shanling m2s as the receiver and a sony bluetooth speaker

Oct 31, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #2,810 of 2,974
received this player more than a week ago..totally impressed with it...I do see/feel the need of more power. My headphones are the sr60 from grado...they shouldnt be that demanding but for some reason I find myself cranking up the volume till 67 or so..is this correct? would an amp kill the beautiful sound is produces?

Oct 31, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #2,812 of 2,974
received this player more than a week ago..totally impressed with it...I do see/feel the need of more power. My headphones are the sr60 from grado...they shouldnt be that demanding but for some reason I find myself cranking up the volume till 67 or so..is this correct? would an amp kill the beautiful sound is produces?
You've got the volume at 67/140. Why do you feel you need more power?

Oct 31, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #2,813 of 2,974
67 is less than half of the maximum volume of 140. I use earphone setting (lower power) for my IEM and typically around 70-80 volume depending on environment and songs. Turning to Headphone setting I will just need 50-55 volume. Current IEM is JH Lola, and at 70-80 volume earphone setting, it is giving smooth and detailed music that I can continue listening for full battery cycle without stopping.

I think it is good that Plenue 1 includes very small increments in volume so that every click is small adjustment to match any sensitive IEMs.

You will only need an amp if you are cranking the volume up to near max and still can't drive your headphones well. If you are at halfway of the max volume, it has enough power. Enjoy the beautiful sound and don't worry about getting an amp.

Only thing I would have asked for is some kind of rapid charging, as it takes more than 4hours for a full charge using iPad charger.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #2,816 of 2,974
Hi. How does it perfrom with low impedance IEMs like ortofon e-q8 (6 Ohm)?
Plenue has a 3 ohm output impedance.

My understanding is that the E-q8 has an impedance of 12 ohms, a bit more than 6...Just tried it with my old E-q7 (the previous model) which has an impedance of 31 ohms, sounds good. The AKG K3003 which does have an 8 ohms impedance also sounds good. One of the things you need to bear in mind is that the impedance of a transducer is always "nominal" that is the average across all frequencies - typically impedance drops in the lower frequencies. The advantage of the Plenue is that whilst its impedance is on the high side of acceptable, one its still within reason and two you can always change the sound sig via the Jet Effect 7 dsp.

regards,

Giles

Nov 6, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #2,817 of 2,974
My understanding is that the E-q8 has an impedance of 12 ohms, a bit more than 6...
Giles

I know it says 12 Ohm.
I had 2 pairs of the e-q8 in the past. They both were around 6 Ohm by actual measurements and not 12 ))

I usually do not touch any sound settings like equalizer or other similar staff.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #2,818 of 2,974
I usually do not touch any sound settings like equalizer or other similar staff.

Then the Plenue 1 may not be for you.
Whilst the sound with eq is quite good (thanks to that Burr-Brown dac chip), most people on this thread like the Cowon for its unparalleled eq options. Even something like its basic BBE setting adds body and depth to most recordings. Other settings certainly help other Headphones to be more tolerable/enjoyable. The Audeze Sine for example sounds meh on the Plenue 1 without any enhancements - the BBE Headphone 2 adds some much needed bottom end, a bit on warmth on the mids and dials back the treble a smidge, this makes the Sine a very pleasureable listen for pretty much any genre, certainly more acceptable than on the AK70 or even the Mojo (though I will admit that for me the killer Sine playback is through the Oppo HA-2SE with bass boost on).
The Cowons have a fast, smooth responsive UI, load quickly and can drive most portable headphones and iems. The icing on the cake is the EQ, whether this is what you want is aniother matter.

regards, Giles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back