Cowon Plenue D
Mar 25, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #1,966 of 4,949
Thanks for the feedback guys! It's such a shame i cant try these DAPs out 1st.

sledgeharvy I didn't even consider this up until now! This looks like a fantastic player, but being left handed, I fear that this maybe hard to navigate with?

I wouldn't worry about that. I'm left handed as well. I find the right centric controls actually useful.. While I'm driving I use my left hand to steer and everything else, so my hand is usually free, so having a player that is designed for right hands is actually beneficial. Something I never thought about till I got it in my hands and actually used it in real world situations.

Furthermore.. After it has burned in I can sincerely say the imaging and laying of the M2 is phenomenal!!! I'm listening to the Pink Floyd "Animals" album in standard 16b/44k FLAC format, and I am astonished with how realistic all the instruments sound. I use this album a lot to test players against each other.. There is a certain timbre that hasn't been matched on any player I've used.. As I have a decent list.. Fiio X3ii, Fiio X5ii, iBasso DX80, Cowon Plenue D, Astell & Kern AK Jr. The AK Jr is the closest to the sound output in terms of imaging and layering. I know I sound like a fan boy right now.. But after you or any tried it, will see what I mean.

Mar 25, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #1,967 of 4,949
I can't see how this DAP can do you wrong. If set to all off/flat and it does not appeal then you can adjust with EQ or DSP, or BBE. I can't say that of my previous devices and when using anything processing it made it worse.

The Plenue D is very good for all the adjustments it's capable of. Which makes it very nice.. That's honestly what caused me to buy it in the first place.. And honestly, it was the first DAP that actually made me forget about using my iPhone 6 as a secondary player when I wanted viceral ear pounding bass, and if I wanted to settle down and just enjoy the details in music, just switch to another user preset and I was happy.. I posted some pictures a couple months back showing a couple different screen shots of the setting I used. I just think for an additional $100 over the Shanling M2 it wouldn't be bad for someone to try out before going to the Plenue D..

Mar 25, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #1,968 of 4,949
My biggest question is this: My music is in .ma4 format, ALAC ripped all from CD's I have. CD's are not 24bit format but 16bit from what I understand. So the question is will a 24bit player have any advantage or does one need a 24bit song to see any advantages? After reading this it makes you think: http://www.head-fi.org/t/415361/24bit-vs-16bit-the-myth-exploded

My other question is mine is still on the way. I am coming from ITunes. How is the album art handled on the Plenue D? Will it pull from the song tag which is embedded or does it need separate album art to be in the same folder? How does it work?

Thank you. 

Mar 25, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #1,969 of 4,949
I just remembered that I took these size comparison pictures when I still had my Cowon and thought that they could be probably helpful for people who are interested to know how small the Plenue D really is (sorry for the cr@p picture quality, but they're just to get an idea of the size):

(f.l.t.r.: iBasso DX80, iPhone 4, Shanling M2, FiiO X3, iPod Classic 7G, iBasso DX90, Cowon Plenue D, SanDisk Sansa Clip Zip, SanDisk Sansa Clip +, 2x $1.49 players, iPod Nano 6G)

Mar 25, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #1,970 of 4,949
Hi-Fi'erwhat's drawing me right now is the insane battery life and the EQ presets that are available. My main concern is how it navigates, especially with the touch screen.

sledgeharvy I liked your review on youtube of the Shanling, seems really decent and I liked how the navigation seemed pretty fluid with the scroll wheel.How's the battery life?

I only listen to trance, and all of my music consists of Mp3's and WAV files.
I'll also be pairing the DAP up with some VE monks

Mar 25, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #1,971 of 4,949
Hi-Fi'erwhat's drawing me right now is the insane battery life and the EQ presets that are available. My main concern is how it navigates, especially with the touch screen.

@sledgeharvy I liked your review on youtube of the Shanling, seems really decent and I liked how the navigation seemed pretty fluid with the scroll wheel.How's the battery life?

I have not seen a player that has all the EQ and DSP and BBE as this one does. It was my main reason to get it. Even if it navigates bad I would still like it as the other features more than make up for that, for me at least. And worse worse, the UI can always be firmware corrected if enough people bark about it. COWON seem's to be listening, another reason why I like them. 

I forgot to mention. I actually have a BBE in my car. I have to say I always loved how it cleaned up the sound in the overall system sound even when applying very little effect. BBE is an amazing technology. I've installed many car systems and Alpine integrated the BBE in their decks also and make a significant difference in a stock system to even an advanced system. I always and still do love how BBE corrects and clarifies the signal and the fact that this DAP has it is wonderful. I have not seen another player that does. It is really hard to beat I feel.

Mar 25, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #1,972 of 4,949

sledgeharvy I liked your review on youtube of the Shanling, seems really decent and I liked how the navigation seemed pretty fluid with the scroll wheel.How's the battery life?

The operation of the Shalinng M2 is very smooth, with no lag whatsoever. Also, not sure what what video you saw, I haven't posted a YouTube review of any player. But I think I know which video you're talking about. In terms of the music choice, and doing well with a player.. Now that I know that you listen to trance (primarily) I would actually steer you away from the Shanling M2.. It's very good for pretty much all genres of music, but it feels like Trance and Rap are a little lacking in the viceral bass quantities that the Plenue D offers. Don't get me wrong.. The M2 can do trance and rap pretty well, but not in a direct comparison to the Plenue D.

By the way, I wouldn't recommend any of the presets.. A lot of people swear by a few of them.. But I always prefer to make my own to fit my mood and earphones I'm using.

Mar 25, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #1,973 of 4,949
the UI can always be firmware corrected if enough people bark about it. COWON seem's to be listening, another reason why I like them. 

I completely agree with you.. I never had any issue with my Plenue D.. Everyone talked about Lag on it too.. I never experience any of that.. Seriously.. Only thing O can figure is they had the on-board storage completely full, and the external sdcard filled to capacity as well. And if that's the case.. Then sure any player will struggle with that kind of data it's having to process..

Mar 25, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #1,976 of 4,949
Thanks for help Hi-Fi'er and @sledgeharvy

I might pull the trigger on the Plenue D. Which is the best place to purchase online? I'm in London btw

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/MP3_Players.1/Cowon.609/COWONPD-/Cowon_Plenue_D__PD__High_Resolution_32GB_Music_Player_with_microSD_Expansion_Slot.14754.html

You can get 10% off the order as well (providing it's your 1st order with them) with code STAY4%10

(Code tested ok £179.10 after code)

If you buy from Amazon uk, it's the same supplier but without the discount
wink.gif

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cowon-Plenue-Resolution-microSD-Expansion-SILVER/dp/B018WNI9N6

Mar 25, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #1,977 of 4,949
Thanks for help Hi-Fi'er and sledgeharvy

I might pull the trigger on the Plenue D. Which is the best place to purchase online? I'm in London btw

You're absolutely welcome..
Most people recommend buying players from here..
http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/MP3_Players.1/Cowon.609/COWONPD-/Cowon_Plenue_D__PD__High_Resolution_32GB_Music_Player_with_microSD_Expansion_Slot.14754.html

Oh Nevermind, I see someone has already posted where I just recommended as wel.. Lol..
I also agree, that Amazon is the way to go.. I buy all my products from there.

Mar 25, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #1,978 of 4,949
You're absolutely welcome..
Most people recommend buying players from here..

Oh Nevermind, I see someone has already posted where I just recommended as wel.. Lol..
I also agree, that Amazon is the way to go.. I buy all my products from there.

Amazon is great as it can offer you one thing that other places can't. You can add a for under $20.00 a CANOPY extended warranty for up to 2 years after the manufacturer warranty expires.  

Mar 25, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #1,980 of 4,949
  honestly, if youre feeling up to it, i have both if you want to test them out. i live in the eastern suburbs of sydney

Thanks very much for the offer, although its a shorter distance to reach the demo store near me.

I will sort this out though, I'm just waiting until after Easter break when the shops reopen. 
smile.gif

Atm, I'm looking at Cowon Plenue D, Hidzs AP100, Lotto PAW 5000 and AK JR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back