Cowon Plenue D
Jan 22, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #856 of 4,949
I'm having to load my 200GB SD card (all FLAC) incrementally.  If I put card in with 170GB used, the D does it's database upgrade thing for about 10 seconds then dies.  It seems happy to take 50GB of new stuff at a time. I'll eventually get it loaded, but swapping large cards is apparently out of the question, at least with the current firmware.

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #859 of 4,949
  Strange. It must because it's 200GB. My 128GB loaded with no problems.

Other people have had the same issue. Seems to be the amount of new files at one time.  I'm up to 125GB doing 40-50GB at a time. So far, so good.

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #861 of 4,949
1 put 120 gigs NP after I formated it right.

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #862 of 4,949
  I disagree - I put 70GB or so right away with no issues.

When you GUIformated, what size allocation tables did you use?

32KB, as per the manual:

"Large-capacity microSD cards
(64GB or more) must be formatted using an FAT32 formatting tool
(e.g. guiformat) to be properly recognized. (32KB allocation unit size is
recommended.)"

All I know is that 175GB all at once failed miserably (multiple times), but 50GB at a time seems to be working. 

Jan 22, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #864 of 4,949
Anyone here own  the Plenue D and also the DP-X1 by chance? Trying to find out if the PD has a low-noise floor closer to the DP-X1 and not like the Sony ZX2.
Or maybe someone owning the Plenue D in Belgium up for a minimeet ? :p

Jan 22, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #865 of 4,949
  32KB, as per the manual:

recommended.)"

All I know is that 175GB all at once failed miserably (multiple times), but 50GB at a time seems to be working. 

Meaning that they use a pretty old microsd reader which doesn't support ex-FAT.
Meaning that support of 64+ Gb is hit-or-miss.
Probably inherited from the M2, C2, D2 and so forth, like the screen.
Nice recycling of outdated components for a 2015 DAP.

Cowon in all its glory, or the art of making sure you pay 3 times the price of Plenue D to get 128Gb internal + ex-FAT microsd reader (Plenue 1).

Jan 22, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #866 of 4,949

Meaning that they use a pretty old microsd reader which doesn't support ex-FAT.
Meaning that support of 64+ Gb is hit-or-miss.
Probably inherited from the M2, C2, D2 and so forth, like the screen.
Nice recycling of outdated components for a 2015 DAP.

Cowon in all its glory, or the art of making sure you pay 3 times the price of Plenue D to get 128Gb internal + ex-FAT microsd reader (Plenue 1).

I have no problem with my 128gb.  If you have a fiio player format in there , then try it. 

Jan 22, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #867 of 4,949
The question about burn in it was for cloudscapes.

"Can you tell me why sony on zx series or ibasso recommend burn in?"

I haven't the slightest idea.

In the case of sony, I wouldn't put it past them to try and fool customers with one of their players with some exaggerated bs, since they've been caught doing it for sd cards as recently as last year:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/02/sony-will-sell-a-premium-sound-microsdxc-card-to-audiophiles-in-japan/

I mean, this specific case is 100% snake oil. Clear for anyone who has done digital electronics, especially stuff involving memory. They tried to trick customers with this, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they're pulling a different kind of snake oil rubbish for their daps. Good daps? Maybe. Burn-in needed for a modern piece of electronics with modern digital components, and modern precision passives/analog parts? Not on your life. If sony were marketing 70s-style stereos with huge 400v paper-in-oil caps, then yes, definitely. But not in a modern dap with modern electronics. It's kind of a joke.

As for the ibasso, no idea, as I have no experience or knowledge of the player. I don't follow the dap market that much. My audio expertise comes from designing and building audio effects and instruments, not daps. Pretty much the same parts and physics, though. 

Jan 22, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #869 of 4,949
32KB, as per the manual:

recommended.)"

I must have got lucky. My Sandisk 200gb filled to the brim with flac, wav, aac and some can't be read dsd files loaded with no issue.

Jan 22, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #870 of 4,949
So, my D is fine now after loading the 200GB card (while in the D) in four large batches (rebooting and scanning after each batch).  Other than the issue getting it loaded, I really like this device. It's a great form factor and is similar enough to the P1 UI to be instantly familiar.  This may be my new "take it along everywhere just in case" DAP.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back