Cowon Plenue D
Feb 15, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #1,306 of 4,949

Ya higher the better imo, 100/100 or 80/80 is decent. Cowon's older 40/40 is bare minimum imo. I hate the Android 16 step or whatever, and slider bars can go **** themselves!

Silly billy.

What are you trying to drive? Is the impedance plug that necessary for portable on the go rig? :S

to clear sibilance haha and sound is better just like er4s from er4pt IMO.

Feb 15, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #1,307 of 4,949
Thank u I took pictures of your settings, hope they work for me

If you need more bass, simply adjust the 135hz to 175hz and the 385hz to 500hz.. I've noticed that adds additional thump. If you want less punch to the bass, leave the 135hz alone and switch the 385hz to 220hz. Simple adjustments like that alter the sound just enough to be subtle yet very effective. I swear the EQ and Jet Fx are my favorite part of this DAP..

Feb 15, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #1,308 of 4,949
I listened for many years to Cowon DAPs. First the X5, then the D2, then the C2 and i9+, I completely abused the DSPs creating superb fun engaging sounds yet at that time (unbeknownst to me) and 'artificial' sound signature.

I then bought the Alien Shozy. This DAP introduced me to how a DAP with a FFR should sound sound. Clear, concise, detailed, non muddy, well balanced, low hiss and superb separation. This I felt is how Flat should sound! Not like Sansa (and Cowon's un EQ'd) which to my mind sounded dull and lifeless. It was for me like a vinyl DAP without the hiss and crackles, organic, warm (at least with my PFE 232's) and just really addictive.

However, due to not having an EQ of any kind I would be lying if I said certain albums were missing something due to lack of being able to 'bring them to life'.

Then incomes the Hidizs AP100. With it's dedicated EQ and Source button, and having hardware based EQ, I was able to get essentially the benefits of the Shozy combined with the ability to EQ, thus getting the best of both worlds.

I feel as tho the AP100 is my best sounding DAP I have heard to date. But i have also learned that sound quality is very subjective. I may dig out my old Cowon (or sansas) have a listen and once again be impressed and feel it sounds better than the AP100. So in short I am full of **** and don't listen to a word I say.

I might have to give the AP100 a whirl.. It's super cheap.. What's the harm right.. Lol..

Feb 15, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #1,309 of 4,949
I might have to give the AP100 a whirl.. It's super cheap.. What's the harm right.. Lol..

I paid $330AUD for mine, and I still consider it to being one of my better DAP purchases, and it prolly is my most expensive DAP purchase.

If you read about it in the AP100 thread you will see many owners of the X3ii, X5, iBasso DX90 etc all say the AP100 beats them, hands down. And then when you consider it's price tag it truly is a bargain to be had! I really think it deserves way more attention than it does. Everyone is Fiio this and Fiio that when you have a similar yet seemingly better DAP out their for like half the price!

I feel the purpose of being an 'audiophile' is not to own the best equipment, but actually to hear a song to the individual users best ability (within their own monetary constraints). For me that def means using EQ (as to why I have stated that elsewhere, it's to do with ill recordings etc and making better of).
These days I enjoy Shuffle All a lot more than playing an album through once, and so being able to toggle EQ easily is a massive selling point. I use the 8 custom slots of the AP100 to alter bass and treble so that depending upon what comes next I can quickly toggle blindly. For 80% of the time Flat is fine, it's just for the other 20% EQing is beneficial.

I do believe that the PD (and I know other Cowons can) be toggled (EQ) fairly quickly and easily, it's also one of their better selling points.

I'm sure that with the PD's 100hr battery life you could leave the screen perma on and have the Custom 1, Custom 2, Custom 3 and Custom 4 slots showing always thus allowing the user to switch between the four on the go as the user see's fit.

My advice, if yer happy with the PD, keep with it, it does after all come in a sleeker package and offers a billion times more battery life. You're spending $180USD essentially on the hoping that things sound 'better' when in fact they prolly just sound different (and therefore not necessarily better).

Feb 15, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #1,310 of 4,949

Ya higher the better imo, 100/100 or 80/80 is decent. Cowon's older 40/40 is bare minimum imo. I hate the Android 16 step or whatever, and slider bars can go **** themselves!

Silly billy.

What are you trying to drive? Is the impedance plug that necessary for portable on the go rig? :S

EDIT: I am curiosu tho about the impedance plug, I have often thought of buying one. For example, I have learned that the C2 and i9+ are very hissy, I'm guessing the M2 is of the same hiss. I wonder if an impedance plug would help as the M2 is pretty much the poor mans PD. But i rekon at volumes I use it would lower too much.

Agreed. That said, more than 100/100 makes little sense. It is less human readable, and moving volume in steps of 1/200 or 1/160 or smaller only means it is harder to move from one to the next. And the difference in steps 1/100 and 1/200 is nearly nothing. iPhone is also 1/16. That is ridiculous.

Feb 15, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #1,312 of 4,949

Silly billy.

EDIT: I am curiosu tho about the impedance plug, I have often thought of buying one. For example, I have learned that the C2 and i9+ are very hissy, I'm guessing the M2 is of the same hiss. I wonder if an impedance plug would help as the M2 is pretty much the poor mans PD. But i rekon at volumes I use it would lower too much.

Agreed. That said, more than 100/100 makes little sense. It is less human readable, and moving volume in steps of 1/200 or 1/160 or smaller only means it is harder to move from one to the next. And the difference in steps 1/100 and 1/200 is nearly nothing. iPhone is also 1/16. That is ridiculous.

Well, it depends on the person who is using the DAP and his/her preference. I prefer a super fine-grained volume control, best in 0.5 dB/step over the whole attenuation range. And also a DAP that allows for very quiet listening, where the Plenue D unfortunately fails a bit as vol 1/100 is already pretty loud and clearly louder than many other DAPs in the lower attenuation range (though many of them have larger dB increasement steps from one to the next volume number in the lower areas).

For the iPhone, a Jailbreak and a matching tweak from the Cydia store will give you the ability to choose 32/64/128 steps. That's how I handle it.

Feb 15, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #1,313 of 4,949
Well, it depends on the person who is using the DAP and his/her preference. I prefer a super fine-grained volume control, best in 0.5 dB/step over the whole attenuation range. And also a DAP that allows for very quiet listening, where the Plenue D unfortunately fails a bit as vol 1/100 is already pretty loud and clearly louder than many other DAPs in the lower attenuation range (though many of them have larger dB increasement steps from one to the next volume number in the lower areas).

For the iPhone, a Jailbreak and a matching tweak from the Cydia store will give you the ability to choose 32/64/128 steps. That's how I handle it.

Re: volume control: the Plenue D's volume doesn't start at 1dB and go up to 100dB. It's an arbitrary scale that starts, depending on the earphone, at a certain voltage. That voltage determines how loud the earphone gets. But in all cases, it is louder than 1dB. So, going from 1 to 100 is probably more like 30 or 40dB to who knows how high. It could very well be done in 0,5dB steps. Don't get hung up on the scale itself. 

I have an iPhone app (non jailbreak) that gives 360 steps: again, not 0 to 360dB. 

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #1,314 of 4,949
shigzeo

You got me wrong. I know that and never said that it would. All i said was that I prefer devices that are able to give high levels of damping (preferably -85 dB and more) and control the volume in 0.5 or 1 dB per step. I don't know Plenue D's attenuation step size in dB and also don't know whether it keeps consistent over the whole range of 100 attenuation steps, simply because the D was too loud for me with the lowest possible volume setting for listening quietly, even with masters that are rather quiet. That's also why I didn't measure its attenuation step size in dB but sold it shortly after it arrived, which was quite sad as it was one of the quietest DAPs with low outpu impedance I've come across (just very little hiss and not as quiet as the DX90, however still very quiet).
And it's quite obvious that the numbers are just a scale and not total numbers in dB which wouldn't even be possible to display without knowing the headphone's sensitivity and impedance. Nonetheless such high RMS dB levels aren't even possible in the earth's atmosphere.
Read my post again and you'll see that I just stated that I prefer fine-grained volume attenuation/dampening where every step is equal, no matter if in the low or high attenuation range. And didn't relate Plenue D's scale to anything other than it is - a scale with 100 steps, not an info about the actual loudness.

You just got me wrong. Having been a highly regarded member in the German audio community before I went over to Head-Fi, given advice in many thousand threads, raising the importance of metrological volume matching when comparing gear and that the subjective differences disappear most of the time or are very small when the volume is correctly matched within less than 0.5 dB, raising the importance of why multi-driver in-ears require a very low impedance output to sound "correct" and having performed many RMAA tests to measure the output impedance/frequency response deviation/detect caps in the signal path, I am aware of all of that - you just got me wrong. :wink:

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #1,315 of 4,949
@shigzeo

You got me wrong. I know that and never said that it would. All i said was that I prefer devices that are able to give high levels of damping (preferably -85 dB and more) and control the volume in 0.5 or 1 dB per step. I don't know Plenue D's attenuation step size in dB and also don't know whether it keeps consistent over the whole range of 100 attenuation steps, simply because the D was too loud for me with the lowest possible volume setting for listening quietly, even with masters that are rather quiet. That's also why I didn't measure its attenuation step size in dB but sold it shortly after it arrived, which was quite sad as it was one of the quietest DAPs with low outpu impedance I've come across (just very little hiss and not as quiet as the DX90, however still very quiet).
And it's quite obvious that the numbers are just a scale and not total numbers in dB which wouldn't even be possible to display without knowing the headphone's sensitivity and impedance. Nonetheless such high RMS dB levels aren't even possible in the earth's atmosphere.
Read my post again and you'll see that I just stated that I prefer fine-grained volume attenuation/dampening where every step is equal, no matter if in the low or high attenuation range. And didn't relate Plenue D's scale to anything other than it is - a scale with 100 steps, not an info about the actual loudness.

You just got me wrong. Having been a highly regarded member in the German audio community before I went over to Head-Fi, given advice in many thousand threads, raising the importance of metrological volume matching when comparing gear and that the subjective differences disappear most of the time or are very small when the volume is correctly matched within less than 0.5 dB, raising the importance of why multi-driver in-ears require a very low impedance output to sound "correct" and having performed many RMAA tests to measure the output impedance/frequency response deviation/detect caps in the signal path, I am aware of all of that - you just got me wrong.

YES thats why Im wanna say but Im weak in explanation and terminologies.Never doubt hifichris.

Feb 15, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #1,317 of 4,949
Connect the player to pc.
Right click on plenue partition.
Right click and then left click on format.
If u have windows like me...

thank you appreciate it 
beyersmile.png

Feb 15, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #1,318 of 4,949
I paid $330AUD for mine, and I still consider it to being one of my better DAP purchases, and it prolly is my most expensive DAP purchase.

If you read about it in the AP100 thread you will see many owners of the X3ii, X5, iBasso DX90 etc all say the AP100 beats them, hands down. And then when you consider it's price tag it truly is a bargain to be had! I really think it deserves way more attention than it does. Everyone is Fiio this and Fiio that when you have a similar yet seemingly better DAP out their for like half the price!

I feel the purpose of being an 'audiophile' is not to own the best equipment, but actually to hear a song to the individual users best ability (within their own monetary constraints). For me that def means using EQ (as to why I have stated that elsewhere, it's to do with ill recordings etc and making better of).
These days I enjoy Shuffle All a lot more than playing an album through once, and so being able to toggle EQ easily is a massive selling point. I use the 8 custom slots of the AP100 to alter bass and treble so that depending upon what comes next I can quickly toggle blindly. For 80% of the time Flat is fine, it's just for the other 20% EQing is beneficial.

I do believe that the PD (and I know other Cowons can) be toggled (EQ) fairly quickly and easily, it's also one of their better selling points.

I'm sure that with the PD's 100hr battery life you could leave the screen perma on and have the Custom 1, Custom 2, Custom 3 and Custom 4 slots showing always thus allowing the user to switch between the four on the go as the user see's fit.

My advice, if yer happy with the PD, keep with it, it does after all come in a sleeker package and offers a billion times more battery life. You're spending $180USD essentially on the hoping that things sound 'better' when in fact they prolly just sound different (and therefore not necessarily better).

I get what you mean, and thank you by the way. I appreciate it.

Feb 15, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #1,319 of 4,949
@shigzeo

You just got me wrong. Having been a highly regarded member in the German audio community before I went over to Head-Fi, given advice in many thousand threads, raising the importance of metrological volume matching when comparing gear and that the subjective differences disappear most of the time or are very small when the volume is correctly matched within less than 0.5 dB, raising the importance of why multi-driver in-ears require a very low impedance output to sound "correct" and having performed many RMAA tests to measure the output impedance/frequency response deviation/detect caps in the signal path, I am aware of all of that - you just got me wrong.
wink.gif

We obviously spoke beyond each other. My only point is that the Plenue D may indeed have steps as small as 1dB or less. I've not measured it, and probably should. It's pretty easy for anyone to do. I agree that control is important; I also agree that it would be nice if the Plenue D spat less voltage at a volume of 1/100. But again, that says nothing about the voltage increase between volume steps.

Feb 15, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #1,320 of 4,949
@shigzeo

beerchug.gif

(on a side-note: mhhm, a BlackBerry isn't the best device to type longer texts - just noticed all the spelling mistakes I made...)

The best thing is that Cowon has overcome the bass roll-off with low impedance headphones older models had. If they ever add a more usable scaling for quiet listening, I'll quite likely buy it again. Though, I highly doubt that to be honest (unless a RockBox port will be possible one day - the cheap Sansa Clip Zip also put out an abundant amount of voltage (read: too much for me) at the lowest volume setting, but RockBox was the cure for listening at lower levels and added a more usable scaling as well).

(measured with the Triple.Fi 10 as load)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back